“Amazing Food”
Review of Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers
Reserve with OpenTable
Founding Farmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 3,525 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 20th St. / Pennsylvania Ave. (Foggy Bottom)
Transit: There are two Metro stops within 3 blocks of the restaurant, Orange/Blue lines at Farragut West or Foggy Bottom/GWU. The red DC Circulator bus Georgetown/Union Station line stops on Pennsylvania Ave. at 21st street, as well as on K Street and on 19th, all just one block away.
Description: Founding Farmers, the Greenest Restaurant in DC, is owned by the more than 40,000 family farmers of the NDFU, serving American inspired real food and drink with an emphasis and focus on cooking from scratch. While our restaurant is supplied by hundreds of family farms everywhere, that doesn't mean we know every farm, and that doesn't mean we never have to buy product from the traditional (corporate) supply chain, but it does mean we're working hard to direct our purchasing dollars where it aligns with our values. We're serving the best food we can, made from scratch in our kitchens every day. Our innovative, American dishes are made primarily with pure ingredients honoring the farmers and their hard-earned bounty.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have never had risotto and omg, this was so good. Is it overpriced? Yes. Was it worth it. Hell yes.

Sadao O, Guest Relations Manager at Founding Farmers, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello there,

Thank you for taking a few moments out of your day to share your feedback and review Founding Farmers DC. I am truly honored your first having risotto was with us and that it was delicious! I hope we can have you back soon for more and thanks again for writing in.

Sadao O

Write a ReviewReviews (6,412)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

4:45 sitting for dinner. Zero ambiance and terrible noise level - hard to enjoy a meal - more suitable environment for a lunch counter. Food was somewhat bland. Our third visit over two years, and our last, as it has gone downhill each time. Lots of good choices in this area, and this isn't one of them.

1  Thank xx414xx

Hi there,

Thank you for taking a moment out of your day to share your feedback and complete our survey. I am so disappointed to hear your recent visit did not go as planned. From the noise level to the poorly prepared food, it is clear we failed to hit the mark on your dining experience, and for this, I do apologize. We honestly never want you to walk away from a visit unsatisfied. It is such a bummer to hear we have continuously failed to provide that WOW factor I know we are capable of over your last three visits. I know we can do better and I hope you will allow us the chance to prove this to you. I can assure you this is not the norm and I will be sure to follow up with our Managing Partner, Dawn Vileno. I am eager to connect with you in hopes to fully grasp the details of your visit. If you are willing to continue the conversation, feel free to reach out to me at Sadao@farmersrestaurantgroup.com. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope we can work together to set things right.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Wife and I went on a busy Saturday but were seated within a few minutes of reservation. Had a drink at the bar first, bartender was far from friendly when I stood in the wrong spot. Drinks are pricey even for DC.

Menu is interesting, we ordered an appetizer and our entrees after a bit of wait. They had a couple waiters helping our server, they apologized for delay then our entrees came out,, no appetizer,mashed potatoes were cold on my wife's chicken, Replacement side was the wrong thing!. Said something to waiter about both. Then learned her chicken was dry and lukewarm,, About then we got appetizer lol My pasta was decent nothing special.

Manager came by I explained issues and she was nice and apologetic ,, comped chicken and appetizer.

No need to ever eat here,,, so many stellar choices in DC, why risk a bad experience.

1  Thank Sean S

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write and review Founding Farmers DC. While I am glad we were able to get you and your wife seated promptly, I am so sorry to hear our Bartender was not so friendly, your entrees came out before the appetizer, and that your meals were poorly prepared. It is clear we failed to provide the true Founding Farmers experience and it made us look like amateurs. I know we are capable of so much more and I hope you will allow us another shot to prove this to you. I truly appreciate you bringing these issues to the attention of your server and that the manager stepped in to take care of few things off of your bill. Still, I am eager to learn more about your experience and connect to see if we can turn this around into a positive. If you are willing to continue the conversation, feel free to reach out to me at Sadao@farmersrestaurantgroup.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After a 45 minute wait, we sat at a table with two other groups, ordered the rotisserie chicken, which was too dry to eat, and left $100 poorer. The cornbread appetizer was great, but nothing else was. Don't understand how this place has such a high rating.

Sadao O, Guest Relations Manager at Founding Farmers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello there,

Thank you for taking a few moments out of your day to write and review Founding Farmers DC. I am so bummed to hear your experience did not go as planned. "Dry" food is not something we want to be associated with and I am so sorry you felt this way. It is disappointing to hear none of our meals knocked your socks off except our Skillet Cornbread. In the future, please do not hesitate to let your server or the manager know if anything can be improved. We never want you to walk away from an experience unsatisfied and feeling as though nothing can be sent back to re-made perfectly. I truly appreciate you bringing this to our attention and please know your continued business with us is greatly appreciated as well. This is not the norm and I will be sure to bring this to the attention of our Culinary team. I would love to connect to learn more about your experience to understand in detail where we went wrong. If you are willing to continue the conversation, feel free to reach out to me at Sadao@farmersrestaurantgroup.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon and I hope this does not deter you from future visits.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a bit of a tourist trap location (success will do that!)
My advice is to make reservations and arrive a few minutes early. The food is of a high quality and on this visit the service was attentive. Save room for dessert!

Hello there,

Thank you for taking a few moments out of your day to write and review Founding Farmers DC. Your 5-star review is greatly appreciated and I am thrilled your food and the service was spot on. We always recommend our guests to make a reservation in order to avoid the long wait times, but we always do our absolute best to accommodate walk-in guests. I hope we can have you back soon for another yummy meal and thanks again for sharing.