Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:30 PM

from US$64.00
from US$89.95
from US$97.99
More Info
All reviews modern art ai weiwei ai wei wei permanent collection circular building interesting sculptures on display third floor art lovers special exhibit gift shop national mall the lower level across the street hirschhorn rodin lego
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

I will start by saying that we enjoyed the Sculpture Garden along the National Mall and around the main museum building. The Hirshhorn Museum itself was a waste of time. As we entered, there was a bag check. I removed my bag to have it checked. My wife was by my side and was rudely told to move out of line since she didn't have a bag. My wife moved closer to me, and the guard told her angrily to move out of line. That really upset us both that she would treat my wife so poorly. This was not being done to other guests. We decided to go upstairs and see the exhibits and discovered the second floor was closed to prepare for a future exhibit. The third floor had a poor abstract of Pickett's Charge based on the one at Gettysburg. It was terrible and frankly felt like it was ripping off that great piece of art. Unless you need to get out of the rain or heat, don't waste your time here.

3  Thank TrailTrekker15
Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

Maybe when they have different exhibits going on it’s better but this did nothing for us. I like modern art but this wasn’t worth it. The gelato and sorbet outside the museum was good however.

2  Thank Jessica L
Reviewed 15 May 2018

The Hirshorn was a must see for my companion who is a big art aficionado - and I went to be a good sport. I was so surprised how much I enjoyed the museum - and I love that taking pictures is encouraged (most of the museums encourage photos). Some of the art work was super cool and interesting and I loved the museum and I will go again when I am in DC. FREE Admission

1  Thank limaggieliz
Reviewed 14 May 2018

If you are into modern art, this museum is definitely for you - otherwise you can find the similar exhabits AND MORE at the Smithsonian American Art Museum/Renwick in Chinatown.

One of the major positives about the Hirshhorn is that they always have new and exciting exhibits - they currently have a new exhibit called: Art and Commodity in the 1980s. Some of the pieces on display are very hoity-toity, but for the most part, it is a genuinely interesting exhibit with something that everyone can enjoy.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank TheWkndWarrior
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

The museum has many interesting and exciting exhibits. The space itself is beautiful, airy, and open.... framing both the art and the outside view nicely. Also enjoyed the sculptures outside. Wish we had more time to go back.