“Sculptures inside and outside. Beautiful architecture.”

Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
Book In Advance
More Info
US$89.95*
and up
Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley...
Ranked #96 of 493 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Part of the Smithsonian Institution, the Hirshorn Museum features an exciting collection of 20th-century art and its companion scultpture garden is not to be missed.
Reviewed 31 May 2018

The Hirshhorn always has interesting new exhibits going on. I enjoy the sculptures in their outside areas. Inside they have one of my preferred sculptures in Washington: Ron Mueck's nude giant.

All reviews
"the lower level"
"across the street"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

I will start by saying that we enjoyed the Sculpture Garden along the National Mall and around the main museum building. The Hirshhorn Museum itself was a waste of time. As we entered, there was a bag check. I removed my bag to have it checked. My wife was by my side and was rudely told to move out of line since she didn't have a bag. My wife moved closer to me, and the guard told her angrily to move out of line. That really upset us both that she would treat my wife so poorly. This was not being done to other guests. We decided to go upstairs and see the exhibits and discovered the second floor was closed to prepare for a future exhibit. The third floor had a poor abstract of Pickett's Charge based on the one at Gettysburg. It was terrible and frankly felt like it was ripping off that great piece of art. Unless you need to get out of the rain or heat, don't waste your time here.

2  Thank newlymarriedman12
Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

Maybe when they have different exhibits going on it’s better but this did nothing for us. I like modern art but this wasn’t worth it. The gelato and sorbet outside the museum was good however.

1  Thank Jessica L
Reviewed 15 May 2018

The Hirshorn was a must see for my companion who is a big art aficionado - and I went to be a good sport. I was so surprised how much I enjoyed the museum - and I love that taking pictures is encouraged (most of the museums encourage photos). Some of the art work was super cool and interesting and I loved the museum and I will go again when I am in DC. FREE Admission

1  Thank limaggieliz
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 May 2018

If you are into modern art, this museum is definitely for you - otherwise you can find the similar exhabits AND MORE at the Smithsonian American Art Museum/Renwick in Chinatown.

One of the major positives about the Hirshhorn is that they always have new and exciting exhibits - they currently have a new exhibit called: Art and Commodity in the 1980s. Some of the pieces on display are very hoity-toity, but for the most part, it is a genuinely interesting exhibit with something that everyone can enjoy.