“Stable quality throughout the years”
Review of Istaba

Istaba
Ranked #141 of 1,043 Restaurants in Riga
Price range: US$13 - US$19
Cuisines: Eastern European, Central European, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Istaba has been around for many years and I'm glad to see they keep delivering what they promise: delicious, seasonal, local food. I love the quirky setting, it's unpretentious and cosy. You get to choose the main ingredient for your main dish, while the rest is up to the chef to select for you. It's been great every single time. It's very affordable too - we paid 35 eur for starters, mains and drinks for two. Would have liked to try desserts too, but we were too full to even look at them.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

I ate here on the recommendation of a family member. I am SO GLAD that I did. This was a fabulous meal and an unique experience. I would never have stumbled across this restaurant on my own as it is above a shop and you have to walk up a narrow staircase. This was the first time that I ate at a restaurant where there was no menu and all I did what select my protein (I was given 5 options). After being seated, the waitress described their dining experience. She also mentioned that they didn't serve alcohol. This wasn't an issue for me. I ordered a lemonade which was delicious. If I had wanted wine, I could have purchased it from a nearby store and they would have un-corked it.

The first course was tapas and bread. Next was a salad. Then the main meal - chicken with 2 sides. All was delicious. The flavors were fantastic!!

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Wonderful atmosphere in this small restaurant in new town, very cool interior. Service was attentive and polite. You order one thing, then food just keeps appering in front of you, sort of a non-spanish tapas. Nice and tender meat, good wine and very reasonable prices for what you get! Would recommend it!

A tip: Just eat when you get something served, food just keeps coming!

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Went for lunch, unique little place. Sort of like a mix of living room and early alt culture.

You basically select your protein of choice and a spread of sides will appear on your table shortly. Just start digging in as more food will be served with your protein/main.
Flavours are well balanced in all dishes, meat (deer and chicken) was cooked tender, and there is more than enough food.
Drinks are decently priced, as is the food.
Coffe was of a good quality as well, service was attentive and efficient.

All in all a nice experience, would go again.

Reviewed 5 May 2017

This place has a nice art shop, but the restaurant above it with best intentions fails in basic things - the seats are uncomfortable, the tables too small for the size of plates and it's cosines is not followed by cosy prices. It tends towards Mediterranean couisine with it's starters, fish, prawns and lamb, but then it just flops with tasteless ingredients, like olive oil, and herbs... It's too simple for needed simplicity of Mediterranean food...