“Special Occasion”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 January 2018

We planned to celebrate our 39th anniversary at a special restaurant. Mesa / Casellas was the perfect choice... . Window seating, for that twinkling harbour view, invoked memories of many years of seaside living... and we were delighted to find our special evening celebrated by a constellation of tiny gold hearts glimmering in candlelight... and complimentary glasses of champagne.

Choice of red wine? We seem to be selecting more tempranillos, zinfandels and malbecs. We haven't deserted shiraz, cab savs and merlots, but there's definitely something spicier happening... . We decided on a 2014 Campo Viejo Rioja Tempranillo (Now that's really a mouthful!) This red needed time to open up, but poured glass-to-glass several times, improved wonderfully, with the promised accents of vanilla, chocolate and red currants complementing our meal.

La Mesa, Casella's Trust-the-Chef feast, was the ideal choice. Mesa staff kindly modified the night's selection in respect to my wife's non-meat diet. A succession of wonderful culinary delights followed. Service was, as usual, outstanding. "Friendly, cooperative teamwork!" remarked the-love-of-my-life.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

My husband and I booked a table at Mesa, thinking it would be a nice restaurant for a date night out.
We've been to Sala (their other venue) before and loved it there, and thought Mesa would be similar if not more upmarket.
Well, the location is lovely, and the food is good. But...
The first thing that greeted me on entry was a real 'pub' smell - spilled beer, smoke (even though I couldn't see anyone smoking on the veranda) and that strange cheap carpet smell you sometimes get. The area by the front door is a kind of upmarket pub setting, which isn't bad, just not what we expected. you are led through to the main restaurant area, however, this was still very casual, open, with hardly any atmosphere. Only the great view of the bay (we sat right next to the ceiling to floor windows) made up for it.
There's no fabrics (no table cloths, soft chairs etc) to muffle any sound, so the running children and few people that were in there that evening, made the medium size long room quite loud.
Service was good though, and the tapas that we ordered were spot on and portions were good.
Not many wines by the glass, which was a bit disappointing.
Even on a Saturday night, I felt slightly overdressed with the nice dress I was wearing, so again, all in all more a casual family restaurant, and not the romantic meal we were hoping for.
Anyway, probably great for groups and we might be back for a summer afternoon cocktail in the alfresco area.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

Super location, however, disappointed with the food over-all. I have had Tapas elsewhere and for instance with a group of people, they will cater dishes to the numbers on the table ie) 6 people in attendance, then a plate will be made for 6. Mesa do not do this unfortunately, so we were cutting up Taco's etc to share it evenly.
The beer was nice and cold and the service was friendly and happy.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

We enjoy coming here for lunch and their $18.90 lunch is great value. If not too hot and the flies are not active then sitting outside looking at the water view is stunning. The staff are friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

Our male waiter wasn’t that friendly - he was more interested in speeding us through and rushing about. I think he was in charge as one of the waitresses insisted on refilling my water glass, even though I said we were about to leave and didn’t need it refilling. She said (can’t remember his name but indicated our male waiter) would get cross at her if he saw she hasn’t done it. The tapas were under whelming. Over priced and oily. I wish people who advertised tapas knew what real tapas are. These were just small dishes of food, not tapas. We ordered 4 dishes, expensive, and left feeling a bit hungry. The outlook of the restaurant is nice but can’t recommend it for the service or food. A shame as it could be so much better.