All reviews top floor chapel room complimentary wine rooms are small steep hill stained glass windows other guests car park the hotel website comfortable lounge highly recommend this hotel historic building continental breakfast wifi is free restaurants and bars centre of town otago peninsula
Reviewed 3 April 2016

My wife and I can highly recommend "The Brothers" to anyone looking for a well-located, boutique hotel with ample charm. Because of the building's historic nature, the rooms are small, but very functional and well-maintained. Owner Rod McMeeken is a fount of information and good humor, ready to help with any needs his guests may have.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2016

We booked a room at this Hotel rather hastily as Dunedin was fast approaching capacity for our weekend visit. If we had taken more, time alarm bells would have rung as checking their site, rating only 27th out of 57 Hotels in Dunedin with only 206 reviews. Not much better on Booking.com. Boutique huh?
They sent a nice pre-stay email regarding their check-in policy, a good start, as after 7 pm check-in is by appointment only. No problem there.
Unfortunately I think 7 pm is only a guide line as if the owner feels like shutting early and heading down to the pub, as on this particular Friday night for a pint or two, he might just leave you hanging as he did us.
I will not detail the rest of the unsavoury incident, words were exchanged by both parties ending in a refusal to let us check in. Aggressive behaviour I think were the words used.
I expect a certain level of service and professionalism when checking into a hotel and I this case I received neither. Booking and check-in is an important part of the process, I should know as I manage a motel myself, ours is rated number 1 on Trip Adviser. If I had stayed perhaps I could have given the wee fella a few tips on both.
I do look forward to his reply, should be a good read. Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeteNickalls
Brothershotel, Owner at The Brothers Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2016

This spiteful review does not warrant a reply other than to say it is not factual in so many ways and sums up their rude and dismissive behaviour. I did not charge them and given their attitude felt they would be better suited somewhere else. To openly admit they are in the industry is interesting.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

website shows crisp, high end look, but actuallu quite shabby. Rooms with large terrace have no prviacy or security acreen from rooms next door, completely exposed.
Car exit very narrow - you have a choice of banging your mirrors on parked cars or scarping your wheels on the curb.
rooms small.

Room Tip: do not take room with terrace - picture very misleading - tiny and no privacy
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Watt W
Brothershotel, Owner at The Brothers Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2016

Perhaps we need to introduce a happy meter in the booking process

Reviewed 7 March 2016 via mobile

We had a small room which was very basic. View out of the window of the gardens bins! Don't expect a city view.
This boutique hotel lacked any atmosphere. Continental breakfast.
Had a good car park
Be prepared to climb steep hills - not for the faint hearted.
Wonderful farmers market on Saturday morning- well worth a visit

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dana564
Brothershotel, Owner at The Brothers Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2016

Really? I think a glass half empty is too kind for this couple and incidentally the atmosphere improved dramatically when they left.

Reviewed 5 March 2016

When we arrived at the Brothers Hotel the owner was extremely helpful with suggestions about how to make the most of the limited time we had in Dunedin,
We went into the centre and enjoyed visiting the railway station, but the highlight of our stay was visiting the Otago peninsular at dusk and seeing the blue penguins coming ashore.
The hotel was comfortable with great views of the city, but was a steep climb up the hill!
Many thanks to the owner who was so helpful.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple