“History & adventure ”

Ferrymead Heritage Park
Ranked #40 of 249 things to do in Christchurch
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The park is comprised of an Edwardian township, which includes buildings from a church and a police house to a bakery and a railway station, as well as an exhibition area.
Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

Over the years I've taken my son with me countless times, often spending a fair amount in the bakery, chatting to the staff, and enjoying the details of each and everyplace, my fave thing to do is just read the old news paper, my son loves the old machines and cars, it's a fabulous favourite museum of history that's interactive & fascinating, after 3 years of regularly going I still find things to find interesting.

HJane62, Marketing and Events Manager at Ferrymead Heritage Park, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful that you and your son are able to spend many hours of enjoyment here.

Reviewed 25 April 2017

i wasnt that keen on going to ferrymead but once there i was most impressed wot an awsum place to spend the day, tram, train ride excellent food and plenty of yesteryear to checkout, this place is a must visit

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

Great day out for the kids. Spend at least 2 hours here going back in time. Great tram ride around park. Worth the entrance fee paid.

1  Thank bernardrenee2016
Reviewed 16 April 2017

Excellent heritage experience, trains and trams plus outdoor scenery all enjoyable. Child friendly, lots of open space and interesting features.

Reviewed 7 April 2017

For fifty years now, Ferrymead Heritage park has been collecting & displaying an interactive experience of yesteryear. When I was about 5 years old all the children in Christchurch took sixpence (5 cents) to school to help buy a steam train. It had been decommissioned and was ready for putting out to pasture. 50 years on, and that train we bought has been running rides regularly on special days, and it was my priviledge to go on a ride last Sunday - Steam Sunday. The rides were unlimited for the entrance fee.
I hadn't been to the park for nearly 20 years, but from the time I entered until the time I left, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. There must be about 35 different exhibits, including working trains, trams, & trolley buses, Edwardian houses & shops, model trains in diorama, the largest display of old fire engines, aeroplanes from my childhood and before, and so much more. We were invited to take high tea & enjoy a show in a period theatrette - quite enchanting, then wander past quaint bantams & a feisty rooster. There were many children enjoying the train & tram rides, although it could be tiring for them to walk around the whole park. We were there for about 4 hours and managed to get around everything. Best to bring lunch - plenty of areas to picnic in. Cameras are a must, and comfortable shoes. Not good in wet or cold weather, unless visiting the inside exhibits.

1  Thank northbeachgirl2015