Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Review Highlights
Something for everyone... or most everyone at least

We spent a lovely day walking around this heritage village and found plenty of variety to keep us... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
LindsayandSteve
Christchurch, New Zealand
via mobile
Wedding

Had a friends wedding here on Friday. Cool little spot and friendly staff. Perfect for a wedding or... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

from US$59.80
from US$19.50
from US$41.00
More Info
All reviews steam train period costume tram sheds fire engine tram ride colonial village model railway gold coin the double decker history buff entry cost on display all ages new zealand great fun great place to visit couple of hours
Reviewed 16 April 2017

Excellent heritage experience, trains and trams plus outdoor scenery all enjoyable. Child friendly, lots of open space and interesting features.

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed 7 April 2017

For fifty years now, Ferrymead Heritage park has been collecting & displaying an interactive experience of yesteryear. When I was about 5 years old all the children in Christchurch took sixpence (5 cents) to school to help buy a steam train. It had been decommissioned and was ready for putting out to pasture. 50 years on, and that train we bought has been running rides regularly on special days, and it was my priviledge to go on a ride last Sunday - Steam Sunday. The rides were unlimited for the entrance fee.
I hadn't been to the park for nearly 20 years, but from the time I entered until the time I left, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. There must be about 35 different exhibits, including working trains, trams, & trolley buses, Edwardian houses & shops, model trains in diorama, the largest display of old fire engines, aeroplanes from my childhood and before, and so much more. We were invited to take high tea & enjoy a show in a period theatrette - quite enchanting, then wander past quaint bantams & a feisty rooster. There were many children enjoying the train & tram rides, although it could be tiring for them to walk around the whole park. We were there for about 4 hours and managed to get around everything. Best to bring lunch - plenty of areas to picnic in. Cameras are a must, and comfortable shoes. Not good in wet or cold weather, unless visiting the inside exhibits.

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank northbeachgirl2015
Reviewed 29 March 2017

Nostalgia and you might learn something. Shows how we used to live and the difference in size of homes from then to now - much larger families then too. Interesting attractions but great when there is something on.

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed 5 March 2017

Good day out for all ages. Especially first sunday of the month as there are steam train trips. We also enjoyed s ride on a steam tram. All the staff are friendly and very helpful. We evem enjoyed a display of fire engines from different eras. There is a variety of things to do and see.

Date of experience: March 2017
1  Thank pearlwarner
Reviewed 27 February 2017

My husband & I enjoyed a couple of hours enjoying Ferrymead. Although it wasnt a day when everything was working we thoroughly enjoyed looking in & at the various areas. We enjoyed a morning tea at the little Ferrymead cafe which was lovely. The first Sunday of the month is when everything is working and we will be back at some stage to enjoy. Well done to all the staff for keeping it all looking tidy.

Date of experience: February 2017