1,769 results
All reviews southern cross station tram stop petite queen room green credentials free wifi boutique hotel skybus terminal small hotel brick wall sky bus coffee machine spencer st station short walk lounge area breakfast was included comfortable bed etihad stadium
Reviewed 22 November 2016

In Melbourne for three nights for work, I took a Queen studio overlooking Langs Lane. Size is fine for a short work trip or for one person, if staying longer with two people I would ask for an apartment. I am currently sitting in the room now and there are roadworks directly outside the hotel but I cannot hear them at all. It has been very quiet every night so far.

The decor outside the rooms respects the heritage of the building, which made me worry that the room may be old and weary, so I was pleasantly surprised at the clean fresh decor of the room. The AV is excellent with full Foxtel and FreeView channels and the ability to stream from your phone to the TV. The wireless speed is good and free.

The bathroom is small but not squeezy, and very clean. The bed is by far the most comfortable I have slept in at a hotel, and I have slept very well.

The highlight to me are the staff. I tend to be a bit long winded yet never felt like I was imposing. Very helpful, well informed and relaxed. Unlike some of the more expensive options, they exemplify an Australian trait of providing great service without ever being subservient, creating a very relaxed atmosphere.

Free tea/coffee in the lounge, and free apples in the lobby, are a nice touch.

Room tip: Overlook the lane and towards the back
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
11  Thank Paul-and-Loretta
Reviewed 21 November 2016

I travel regularly to Melbourne for both business and pleasure, so it was a little sad when my normal hotel was too full to get a reasonably priced room. I booked this through QANTAS and received a smallish Queen room which was perfect for my one night stay by myself.
I asked for a quite room and got it - facing a lane-way on the side of the building, and combined with the double glazing - had no noise at all.
The only possible downside was a slight chemical smell I guess from cleaning the bathroom - but otherwise it was a really nice room - spot on 4 star and everything you need.
The beds were very good and all in all, I had a good sleep and would be very happy to return.

Room tip: Quiet rooms face the laneway so are good options for light sleepers
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
12  Thank LovesAWine
Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

Great location and friendly staff make this an excellent choice for our needs. Despite construction work literally right outside the building we slept well thanks to sound-proofing on the windows. The breakfast deal in our accommodation package was good value, and any-time access to good tea and coffee in the foyer was an added bonus. The hotel's commitment to sustainable choices is refreshing and appreciated.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
10  Thank miamazia
Reviewed 16 November 2016

My wife and I stayed at Alto for 4 nights and were impressed with all aspects of the hotel. The room was very clean and in great condition and the staff were extremely helpful in dealing with any issues and providing information on trips and Melboune as a whole. The location was great - right outside was a tram stop that was in the free travel zone. Breakfast was very good and a welcome bonus was the tea/coffee available throughout the day. Would definitely recommend friends and family coming to Melbourne to stay here.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
10  Thank BShah789
Reviewed 16 November 2016 via mobile

We haven't been to Melbourne for 3 years but we are so pleased to again stay at the Alto. So clean, staff so friendly and helpful (as my dear old father said--they act like they are glad to see you). We dined in last night: superb. I cho
se chicken madras curry and my dining copanion lamb shanks which she declared the best ever. For breakfast, she chose mixed mushrooms with feta and balsamic reduction, I was less adventurous with scrambled eggs and bacon. IMHO Alto...the best stay in Melbourne.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple