“Fabulous food for all.”

Ranked #57 of 4,564 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Burmese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Created in Melbourne, inspired by Asia. Located at the Paris end of Little Collins Street, Burma Lane brings guests a modern Australian dining experience with distinct Asian flair. The style of dining is designed around light tapas bites moving to the more substantial, all delicious and perfect for sharing a quick bite or a lingering meal. The menu itself is concise, with regularly changing, seasonal fare celebrating local produce. Fresh, vibrant and deliciously different with a hand sourced wine list and sensational cocktails to match! The venue has a beautifully designed interior, stunning Mezzanine level and high ceilings. The awe-inspiring floor to ceiling artwork by renowned Melbourne street artist, Mike Eleven, incorporates moving projected images, bringing the modern Asian-Australian feel of the restaurant to life. Experience everything we love about multicultural Australia in a hip, fun & eclectic environment; that is Burma Lane.
Reviewed 11 August 2018

I visited Burma Lane with my other half who has a very conservative taste in food, if he Hasn't tried it he doesn't like It!
The food here is fabulous with something for every taste (even him). The Pork Belly was the best I have ever had and everything we were served was superb.
The atmosphere is great for either a business lunch or a romantic evening and the staff were friendly and efficient. As Melbourne goes this place is good value and highly recommended.

Matthew S, General Manager at Burma Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Hi Sharon S

Our pork belly will open up the most conservative of food minds.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

Me and my wife visited here whilst we were on holiday as it came highly recommended, it did not disappoint food was first class at a reasonable price, the service was fantastic, and the manager was great nothing was to much trouble, all the amenities were spotless and disable friendly, great place highly recommended.

Reviewed 10 August 2018

Towards the top end of Little Collins Street this very friendly restaurant is a little gem. Lovely smells waft from the open kitchen as the chefs diligently apply their skills to each dish.

We started with a duck doughnut. This was very interesting, duck inside a cinnamon coated doughnut. It worked but the sweet taste of the cinnamon with the savoury flavour of duck was not my favourite. But the tuna dish that followed was beautiful and so was the five-spice pork belly, black pepper caramel, ginger, red vinegar dish that followed.

The tuna was described on the menu as sesame crusted seared tuna, wasabi potatoes, blood orange, togarashi. It was light and accompanied by a very light wasabi/potatoe combination that gave the dish a little kick.

The pork belly was not fatty as often pork belly is and black pepper caramel sauce worked well. If more 'juice' was required you could add red vinegar that accompanied the dish in a little jug.

The highlight of the night, however, were the waitresses and waiters. Form the moment we walked into the restaurant they were super friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We asked for help selecting a bottle of wine and we were given a taste of one pinot noir and also given a strong recommendation for another even though it was the least expensive. A very good recommendation it was.We were also given wonderful, and honest, recommendations in relation to the menu.

We assumed the pork belly would follow a little after the tuna and so when both dishes came out together the waiter sensed our surprise and read our minds. Without any fuss he apologised and took the pork belly away and allowed us to enjoy the tuna. Then after a suitable break we received a fresh dish of the pork belly. He made us feel very much at ease.

Staff at most good restaurants in Melbourne are professional and friendly. Whilst the staff at Burma Lane were also professional and friendly they had something extra that made our time there very relaxing and enjoyable.

Matthew S, General Manager at Burma Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

Hi Rob W

Thank you so so much for your wonderful review.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the table on pass so you could watch the chefs apply their trade.

It was an absolute pleasure having you, we look forward to the next time.

Reviewed 8 August 2018

Visited your restaurant recently, was really satisfied with the hospitality, me and my husband came on a week night, didn't book but we were soon found a table. After recommendations we were felt very welcome and left feeling very full and satisfied. We are not big meat eaters, but were recommended the beef brisket, and pork belly, which did not disappoint, and the shan tofu was melt in the mouth. Recognized how great this place would be for groups, will be coming back in a larger group in the near future, looking forward to it! We are country people so thankyou for making our city visit worthwhile.

Matthew S, General Manager at Burma Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Hi suetay2011

Thank you so much for your very kind review.

We cant wait to see you and your friends in the near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Disappointing to say the least.
We thought we would give it a go as we absolutely love Red Spice Road and been there a trillion times, which is classified as the same standard/comparability.

I am a very reasonable person, I am easy going and rarely critical in a negative way... but honestly the service here is really average. We paid more than $200 in two with only one glass of wine and found we would receive more friendly service at a pub.
We had our toddler with us and requested a high chair. The high chair had no tray, a broken harness and was absolutely filthy. The kind of high chair was honestly an embarrassment, they have better high chairs in shopping centre food courts! Furthermore, our child’s safety is clearly unaccounted for at Burma Lane so I will say this restaurant has inadequate safety basics for children.
We ordered the banquet which was all lovely apart from one dish. Both of us thought the nuts were burnt and we felt it was not quite right. The waitress advised that it is what it is.. gave no replacement, no offer to change, no apology, just that it is what it is.
I brought my concerns very politely to the manager whom she wasn’t interested at all in our point of view. We are not the kind of people who make a scene but maybe if you are they may resolve the problem while you are there.
The Wine by the glass is really ordinary and completely overpriced.

We arrived at 8pm and by 9.30pm the restaurant was already empty on a Saturday night, of which would be fine if the staff were not all standing around laughing. I guess if in the middle of Melbourne on a Saturday night if the restaurant is empty it speaks a million words.
My opinion, go elsewhere.

1  Thank Jaspa P

Hi Jaspa P

I am sorry to hear that you found us average.

I like to also think I am a very reasonable person when it comes to replying honestly to reviews and feedback.

First of all I would like to apologise for the state you found the highchair in. I know how important it is for parents to know that their children are safe. I do hope that an alternative highchair was provided. I will investigate this further.

I have spoken to the waitress who looked after you on the evening and it has been made clear to me that she took the dish back to the kitchen to clarify with the chef regarding the taste. The nuts in the dish are twice fried and the chef made it clear that he thought the nuts had been cooked correctly. I believe that the waitress then informed you in an apologetic manner. I will discuss further with the waitress.and see if we could have done anything differently. Sorry if you felt this was dealt with poorly.

I strongly disagree with your notion regarding our wine list, we have won many awards for our wine list in general and believe we are competitively priced against our competition. I also believe we offer quirky wine options.

I will also look into your comments regarding staff standing around talking and laughing as I was not there on the evening.

On rare occasions the restaurant can be empty earlier than usual but this should not deter staff from doing their jobs professionally.

If you would like to discuss further please contact me at matt@burmalane.com and I will be happy to help you with any questions you may have.