“Perfectly Cooked”

Ranked #36 of 4,646 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$11 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Gastropub, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Railway Club Hotel has remained one of the busiest dining rooms in Melbourne for over ten years. Its atmosphere and ambiance has stood the test of time. No pretence, just true Port Melbourne style. You can choose your own meat from our display fridge and see it cooked to perfection in our open kitchen. With such a commanding range of cuts and sizes we never disappoint. But it's not just all about the steaks. We are also famous for our seafood and expansive selection of specials. Try our chef's-own Cevapcici skinless sausages with olive tapenade, or our whole grilled flounder. Our busy traditional bar and restaurant is now complimented by our newly refurbished upstairs dining rooms that also cater for a variety of private dining needs. Restaurant Food Service Hours: Monday - Saturday: 12:00 - 15:00 / 17:45 - 21:00 Sunday: 12:00 - 21:00 Public Bar Food Service Hours: Monday - Friday: 12:00 - 15:00 / 18:00 - 21:00 Saturday - Sunday: 12:00 - 21:00
Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

There are 2 sides. Front bar and restaurant. The restaurant service and food was just perfect. Started with a selection of entrees. The prawns were very popular and raves about. I had eye fillet for main cooked rare. Everyone at the table had their steak cooked to perfection. I would absolutely be coming back.

Date of visit: December 2017
2  Thank Matt H

Reviewed 8 December 2017

The Railway Club should definitely be on your list if in Melbourne and looking for some good meat.

The restaurant is classy without being too formal and stuffy. Booked before arriving in Melbourne which was lucky as it was full on the Wednesday night I dined.

Shared some garlic bread and a salad of rocket with pear and blue cheese as a starter and both were pretty good. Mains had to be steak and there is a lot of choice on show in the fridge near the kitchen. The 300 gr. porterhouse was delicious , cooked as requested medium rare , it was tender and moist and a real pleasure to eat. The chips were equally tasty as was the side of brocolini.

All washed down with a bottle of shiraz which was a reasonable $35 ( cheaper than the steak ) Service was a little hit and miss as they were busy but the bill came when requested. The location is just a few stops on the tram from the city center down to Port Melbourne so you are outside of the free travel zone so remember to have a valid travel card.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 4 December 2017

I went with a group of friends last week as we have been doing every 3 months for over 6 years and the Railway Club continues to deliver beautiful Steaks. I rotate between the scotch and the eye fillet and they are always cooked to perfection. The place has a great feel to it and the staff a very attentive. The wine list is very good.
Certainly recommend the Railway Club Hotel but you must book even for lunch.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 2 December 2017

If you are looking for a great Steak then this is for you, tender and juicy, my teenagers enjoyed the whole experience

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

I’ve been coming to the front bar for years for the pub classics and usually been happy. Today I had a fairly standard parma (great chips) and my partner had the pie.
She had to order another drink to wash it down. I tasted it and understood why. To my palate, it was so salty as to be inedible.
As we walked out, she said to me “we won’t be going back”.
3.5/5 for the parma. 0/5 for the pie of the day.

Date of visit: November 2017