All reviews free pancakes common areas basement bar free wifi bed female dorm chill room big kitchen opposite flinders street station great location top bunk common room every morning rooms are clean great facilities central location air conditioning free tram zone
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

United, Melbourne genuinely added to my backpacking experience. If you’re looking to backpack, you’ll probably know that hostels are a popular choice and United definitely made it clear why.

Not only was the hostel clean and staffed by very friendly and approachable staff, but the whole hostel had a close sense of community. Every morning volunteers would make the hostel free pancakes, everyone staying was friendly and welcoming, and I felt that my personal effects were safe in the room as there’s a lot of security doors between the street and my room.

I can’t recommend United enough - if you’re backpacking and want to make good friends and be surrounded by good vibes, you have to go to United Backpackers!

Safe travels!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Jonathan M, General Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

G'Day - thanks so much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review. It really means a lot to us when a guest enjoys their stay! We hope that you get the chance to stay with us again and if not, then safe onward travels!

Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

Everything was nice. The staffs were friendly, the facilities were clean and the guests were also nice.
Toilets, bedrooms and the kitchen are always kept clean and the bar in the basement has tons of event that are fun!

Everything went great until one drunk gentleman decided to urinate inside my luggage full of clothes and important goods. Left my luggage open for a minute and this happened. What a shame.

But overall, this place is good for backpackers to stay.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business

G'Day - thanks so much for leaving us a review! We apologize for the inconvenience your experienced whilst staying here. Any guests that acts in that matter is always asked to leave without refund and is black listed from ever staying with us again. I am pleased that you still think highly of our hostel besides the incident that occurred. Thank-you, Jonnie

Reviewed 18 July 2018

Pros:
Great location, in the central, just the opposite of train/tram station!
Near coles/woolies.
Free pancakes every morning.
Bar downstairs so more social activities.
Free wifi but only in communal area. You need to pay for wifi if you wanna use it in your room.
Each bed has own charging socket and light.

Cons:
Need to keep more attentions to the cleanness of the shower rooms. I saw soaps on the floor for 3 days and no one came to clean up. Also the hand soap was empty in ladies shower rooms and unisex toilet, been empty for few days but no one refill it. I've informed one of the staff, he said they would refill it but still empty the day I checked out.
Always better to invest yourself a good pair of earplugs. As it's central, there's lots of noises.

However, it's a good place to stay!

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

G'Day - thanks so much for leaving us a review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have passed on your comments to the housekeeping team. Enjoy the rest of your travels!

Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

Absolutely loved United! Location is amazing, nice kitchen, clean hostel and THE BEST STAFF! I came solo only planning to stay for a short time and ended up staying for ages, and left with tons of new friends. Boozy Bingo on Monday nights is an absolute must.
Thanks to Vandana, Ryan, Liam, Ron and ALL the other staff for always being helpful and looking out for me!
xx Cait

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo

G'Day - thanks so much for leaving us such an amazing review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time here! Glad you got to check out Bingo on a Monday night! Best of luck in the rest of your travels!

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I had a 4 bedroom with bathroom for 2 weeks and overall it was just great! everything working, nice service, and free Pancakes! The location is perfect, looking right on flinders street. The staff was really helpful and professional.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Jonathan M, General Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

G'Day! Thanks so much for leaving us a review, we really appreciate that you have taken the time to do so! We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!