Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from US$72.60
More Info
from US$72.60
More Info
All reviews chocolate tour chocolate lovers koko black our tour guide chocolate making quality chocolate lovely afternoon tea wonderful chocolate great tour chocolate tasting final stop free samples walking tour lane ways great knowledge hour tour block arcade
Reviewed 9 September 2017

My wife and I have just spent a very pleasant afternoon doing the "Chocolate Lanes and Arcades" Tour. Amanda was our guide and as other reviewers have mentioned, she is very knowledgeable about chocolate and about the venues that we visited. Also, Fiona who works for the tour company came along to refresh her knowledge about the places visited as she hadn't conducted this tour for a while. Good to see that the tour company is making an effort to keep their guides up to date as I understand that the places visited change from time to time.
We were a little lucky that there were only four people on the tour so we got a very "personal" experience. We started with introductions which got everyone comfortable and then visited Haighs near the tour start point in Block Arcade. Detailed explanations about chocolate tasting technique including the opportunity to taste a roasted coffee bean were given. We also received descriptions of the ways that chocolate is manufactured.
In all, we visited six establishments and sampled chocolates (of course!), tea, coffee, hot chocolate drinks, cake and even matched wine (at Adelphi). I now know about some very nice places to visit in the City that I had not visited before. Of course there were opportunities to purchase the wares from the various establishments visited and most offered discounts to people participating in the tour.
I think you get more out of this tour if you do it as a couple or with friends. You can try a broader range of the samples available this way. Don't eat beforehand as you end up getting plenty of chocolate and other things on this tour. Water is provided (and recommended) between establishments.
I enjoyed the afternoon and would consider doing one of the other tours offered by this company in the future.

Carl W, Manager at Chocoholic Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Thank you so much for your detailed review MarkB404. Great to hear you enjoyed Amanda's knowledge and experience on your Lanes and Arcades tour! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I hope we get to see you again on one of our other tours! Chocolate regards, Carl and the Chocolate team

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

We organised the Chocolate and other desserts tour for a girls weekend just past. The website and reviews looked good and we thought we were in for a great afternoon out. The three of us each paid $99 for the 2.5 hour tour expecting to visit some of Melbourne's hidden chocolate shops in some interesting lane ways. Our first stop was Haigh's where we given one milk and one dark chocolate button (which you can walk in and try for free as a customer of the store anyway) and a truffle. Off we went next to Koko Black where we were informed of the beautiful upstairs sitting room where you can relax with a drink etc. Thinking this is what we were doing that would be good, but no. We got to go into the store and choose one truffle to try, valued at about $2.70. We then went to the Emporium where the macaroon tasting at Zumbo's allowed us to pick one macaroon ($2.80) before heading to a cafe that does liquid nitrogen hot chocolate. This was entertaining but there was 9 of us on the tour and our little group had 3 so we were asked if one of us could have a half serve as you only got one between two! The half serve came with the hot chocolate and a marshmallow, no icecream or raspberries or liquid nitrogen. Next stop to Lindt where we were given 3 pre-wrapped Lindt balls and 10% off any purchase! The final stop was the Adelphi Hotel where the dessert restaurant Om Nom resides. We were sat in the foyer of the hotel and enjoyed another 2 truffles and a mouthful of wine! I don't know how this tour costs $100 considering we went to two quite large chocolate companies and were given in total 4 truffles, 3 Lindt balls, 1 macaroon and half a serve of hot chocolate. The tour company made $900 off our walking group yesterday and if I could I would be asking for my money back.

Carl W, Manager at Chocoholic Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Hi carly156,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Every review is taken very seriously and hearing things like this really saddens me.

We pride ourselves on making every Chocoholic Tour experience a discovery of Melbourne, chocolate and for you to feel true happiness by the time you have finished the tour. This has clearly not happened in your case and I am so sorry to hear that the tour didn’t meet your expectations.

I will look into what happened at the Adelphi Hotel. On your particular tour you should have had a chocolate cigar and drink there. So, thank you for bringing that to my attention and because of this error I have credited your account with a partial refund as a gesture of goodwill.

Thank you also for the feedback about Dex2Rose. I will talk to them to see how we can ensure that everyone gets the full experience there (especially when we have odd numbers of guests).

With regard to the tastings at Haigh’s. You are correct, as general public you can taste a button at Haigh’s but only if you have made a purchase in store first. As a Chocoholics Tours guest, these tastings and the truffle are included in the tour plus an exclusive discount off a future purchase. Equally with Lindt the discount is exclusive to Chocoholics Tours guests.

We do visit at least 6 chocolate boutiques, have 8-10 chocolate tastings, wander through the most unique little lanes and iconic arcades on all our tours. In addition, all of our tour guides are very well educated about Melbourne through lots of internal training and development. The chocolate boutiques that we partner with go through a selection process and have criteria they have to meet so we can ensure the best possible experience.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We are always looking for ways improve our service and I can certainly see a few opportunities here.

Chocolate Regards,
Carl

Reviewed 20 August 2017

We had a lovely Saturday afternoon walking through laneways of Melbourne and finding chocolate shops and having tastings.

Thanks for review Alison H. Hopefully we'll see you again sometime

Chocolate regards
Carl

Reviewed 9 July 2017

Amanda is a great tour leader. She speaks clearly and includes everyone in a well crafted tour. The chocolate sampling and explanations were good, as were the discounts at some places. The arcades and laneways were also worth seeing. The speaker at the last place didn't turn up and Amanda had left so wouldn't know.
Thanks Amanda for a great tour and your company on it.

Carl W, Manager at Chocoholic Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Thank you for your review TwoDogsTravelling. Sounds like you had a great time sampling the yummy chocolates and I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed Amanda's company. She's a great guide! Thank you for letting us know that the speaker at the end of the tour didn't come to talk to you, we will definitely follow that up with the venue. Hope to see you on another of our tours, chocolate regards, Carl and the chocolate team

Reviewed 7 July 2017

This was a great tour to do, chocolate lanes and arcades tour, the chocolate places we visited were wonderful, and enjoyed the laneways, was well planned and the walking part was easy to do, it finished with a lovely afternoon tea.
Would definitely recommend to do this tour. Thanks Amanda.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review Kathy H, i'm really glad you enjoyed the chocolate stops and exploring the laneways and arcades, Chocolate regards, Carl and the Chocolate team