Ways to Experience Melbourne River Cruises
from US$18.06
from US$25.28
from US$101.11
More Info
All reviews dinner cruise low bridges relaxing cruise course meal hour trip different perspective interesting commentary two hours cheese platter captain williamstown docklands downriver sights toorak mains cruised
Reviewed 5 June 2018

The service, food and sights of the dinner cruise was well worth it. The only negative is that it was very cold inside the boat, which resulted in my companion and I catching a chill and we both now have a very bad cold/flu. It would be worth a heat pump being installed as the sides and roof are virtually all glass. Because it was so cold, the 3 hours was too long; if it had of been warm in the boat, then 3 hours would have been perfect. Only other disappointing thing was that we had to keep meeting up with the party boat to stock up their drinks.

Date of experience: June 2018
2  Thank lynnmaree73
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

We live in Melbourne but sadly rarely do things tourists do. Melbourne has so much to offer that we ignore. This is my new quest. We took a one hour docklands cruise and found it excellent. It gave a whole new perspective of the docklands and surrounding areas, exposing bars restaurants and areas we did not know existed. It was a very good price as we booked on line. I considered a marking of 3 but decided on a 4 for the new knowledge.
Downsides an old boat but worse very dirty, no cleaning between cruises, rubbish left everywhere. People should take it with them but again nothing to run around with a rubbish bag and cloth between cruises. The captain and mate didn’t want to be there, they really needed to grow a personality and sense of humour.
The boats offer free tea and coffee and have toilet facilities but there is nothing else so if you need nibbles or a drink take it with you.
Otherwise easy to get to quite comfortable and informative.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 22 May 2018

**MOSQUITOES** If you are a tasty treat preferred by the mozzies, DO apply DEET lavishly prior to boarding!!!! The trip down the Yarra River runs right through the center of business district in Melbourne (CBD). Our cruise began about an hour ahead of dusk, so I was a tiny bit disappointed in the lack of "city lights" as pictured in all the brochures. We were treated to a magnificently prepared filet mignon, the likes of which, were the juiciest, butter-tenderest we've ever had anywhere. Literally seemed to melt in the mouth. The dining room was nicely arranged and there were probably no more than 75 patrons aboard. Intimate candlelit tables which all featured a good view of the riverside sights, etc. Staff were all personable and welcoming...of course, that's just the way the Aussies are, in general, as a culture. The nicest people you'll ever encounter in the world, in my opinion.
After we had our dinner, we were presented with an array of sweet desserts, mostly featuring chocolatey creations, which we enjoyed with a coffee or tea. During the cruise there was music and plenty of time to visit. Once we finished with dessert, we went out on the outer deck and sat in the open air...by then, it was dark and we saw the huge flying 'foxes', giant fruit bats made famous there. These were gigantic, and numerous. They flew overhead as we floated along. I only wished I had been able to capture those with my digital camera better, but the darkness was too much to help any photography that evening. I hadn't realized the severity of the mosquito attack on myself until the next day. I had a serious case of bites. By the time we'd left to come home a few days later, I had no less than 200 bites covering my arms, legs, neck, and back. So if you are sensitive to insect venoms or susceptible to bites, as I am, you MUST take all precautions to keep the personal suffering to a manageable level. I believe I contracted Ross River Virus, which was warned about. I had all of the symptoms within two weeks of my return to the USA, however, didn't get it confirmed. I know there is no known treatment or cure for the illness it brings, so I have been letting it take its course, which is allegedly about one year to resolve completely. It is very painful due to the arthritis that comes on after infection. Even with the mozzies, this excursion is one well worth taking an evening out for, all in all.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

The cruise takes you up and down the north part of the Yarra river and is a great opportunity to hear snippets of Melbourne's history. Our driver and commentator had a great sense of humour and was just the icing on the cake. Glad we did this as a quick stop on our last day before flying out of Melbourne.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

I’m giving this 5 stars - relaxing cruise up and down the Yarra. Not the most comfortable seats and limited amenities on board but what made the cruise was Captain Peter. His funny, dry wit made the day! I’d go again just to re-listen to his commentary!

Date of experience: April 2018