“Foodi couldn't provide the requested date for private tour, refused to refund deposit”
Review of Foodi

Foodi
Ranked #72 of 112 Food & Drink in Melbourne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 5 November 2017

We had booked to do a private tour with Foodi for a Friday night, and eventually a Foodi employee responded to us stating that the Friday night wasn't available, and would we be happy with doing the tour on the Thursday. As we have family visiting from abroad, we have a fairly tight schedule and doing the tour on the Thursday wasn't an option, as we have a different tour booked for that day.

We told this to Foodi and requested that we receive our deposit back, as the cancellation wasn't due to us not wanting to use Foodi, but rather that the requested day was no longer available. When questioning the reasoning why we weren't eligible to receive the refund, we were simply told that "they have a business to run, and we are cancelling outside of the 5 days since the tour was confirmed".

I feel that this is pretty much petty theft, and this is not the way to run a business, we certainly won't be using the services of Foodi again after how they handled this situation, and I certainly will never recommend them to friends or family.

1  Thank SheldonC208

Reviewed 6 February 2017

very disappointing waste of time and money. wish we had of gone for an actual high tea would have received more food and more than one cup of tea. arrived at one place to find it closed so no macron host just said oh well on to the next place, 4 small bit size morsels not worth $65 each..

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

Two of us did this activity on a Saturday morning. Over 2 and a bit hours, we visited three chocolate shops, one waffle and coffee shop one spice shop and one lolly shop
Plenty of information and plenty of chocolate to sample
We enjoyed the tour a lot.

Sixteen on the tour was a bit of a drawback as the shops are small and a lot of the visits were really on the footpath outside trying to hear over traffic noise and pedestrian traffic.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

Only went to one venue that specialises in high tea and two venues, Laurent and Koko Black are commonly known chain stores. The Tea Salon was the only location where a drink was included, a cup of tea (earl gray or English breakfast). We were unable to choose our own scone flavour and there were too many savoury scones served.
On arrival to Koko Black we were told we would get one chocolate and one truffle however as they did not have any truffles in stock after Christmas we were provided with just one chocolate (surly we could have had two!) The fourth place wasn't even open (don't you have a professional working relationship with the venues you attend?) If a key stop is not open another should be arranged.
In an ad we saw before booking it clearly stated that the tour included a glass of champagne at the last stop and that we would learn about tea etiquette, and the history of scones and macarons. There was no champagne and our host didn't tell us anything about tea etiquette, macarons or scones. We didn't discover any new places in Melbourne and especially no new high tea venues. The food we were provided (small chicken sandwich, one scone, a cup of tea, one chocolate and one cupcake) would have cost approximately $20, not sure what we got for the other $45. This was a present to our mother so it was very embarrassing to have taken her for a walk around Melbourne to get a small bite to eat. You don't have to worry about getting too full!

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 December 2016

Thought as I was not a local that this would be a great way to explore Melbourne. However, this tour is not worth doing at this current mode. For example, I think if you mention that it is a food tour, you need to be more generous and focused with the quality of food and food experience. To pay $59 I expected at least half of that to be contributed to the expense of the food. They allocated $1.13 - at the most $2.50 per person for the food for each of the venue and spent approx $12 per person. There were 12 people for this event and the company collected $708. In some venues many wanted to buy more food as I found it a little tragic that you were allocated one spring roll per person at one venue.

I also think the tour guide although very pleasant needed to be more knowledgable about the food and perhaps arrange with the restaurant that we should have little plates to eat our food off instead of putting a napkin underneath to soak up the sauce. For one Vietnamese restaurant the hosts started dividing the hot noodle soup into rice bowls which I believe if they gave the restaurant a little more money they could service us appropriately from the kitchen. The Okonomiyaki was the last straw for me where they were tiny pancakes that were $6.80 each and were sent cut into quarters and I think you could have ordered one more pancake rather than dividing that again into 8 bite sized pieces! Further, the pancakes were luke warm and they were not great...Overall, I would have preferred to go to a nicer restaurant and enjoy better quality food. To be fair I did miss the last venue but it was a restaurant that I knew from Sydney...hence, this tour did not reveal anything new or meet my expectations.