“Sublime Italian flavours and hand made pasta”
Review of Templo

Templo
Ranked #30 of 680 Restaurants in Hobart
Reviewed 16 August 2016

This is a tiny gem of a place that serves the most amazing "prepared with love" food you will ever hope to try. Traditional Italian dishes with flair and spark from a brilliant back-of-house team. Bookings are essential because it is a local secret. A must eat in Hobart.

Date of visit: June 2016

Reviewed 9 August 2016

The do's of Templo - do visit, do relax, do the chef's menu, do ask them to match some glasses of wine, do have fun and enjoy.
The don't of Templo - don't stress, don't forget to eat there.

A fun, cosy and warm restaurant. The menu has an great selection of great little dishes you can order as individual serves but I think its completely worth enjoying the chefs selection - the food is all amazing and the value is outstanding. They have a very interesting list of wines but I just kept asking them for a glass of wine to match what ever course I was on at the time.

The restaurant has a number of table options, I ate at the large round communal table which was great as I met some lovely people and had some interesting conversations all night. One point to note - Templo is open early in the week and does an early and a later sitting so keep that in mind when booking.

1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

Suggested by my fiance's work colleague we ventured to Templo for a date night. When you first walk in you feel like you're in a tiny room similar to the entrance of a cafe, which is what it has been changed from. The space is minimal so there are approximately 25 seats in the whole restaurant with the main table being a shared table.
Highly recommend booking because there isn't much space. They do have two sittings in the night.
The waiters are knowledgeable and lovely and happy to help you out. I overheard the waiter having a conversation with another patron and explained that they take turns cooking and it was he turn to cook the next night. What an absolutely fascinating way to run a restaurant. Share the load.

The food itself was delicious. I would suggest going with the chefs menu because it gives you a chance to try everything and there's just something about every dish that makes it delicious. The food is not overpowering, the flavours are subtle but tasteful.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank Peramiell
Reviewed 5 August 2016

The staff running Templo are truly passionate about good food and customer service. The menu was explained carefully, suggesting that sharing plates was the intention of the menu design. For two ladies, three plates was more than enough. The food that we selected was amazing with layers of flavour and texture. It was an explosion of yum in every mouthful. This was my first visit and I will certainly be returning. This cafe is extremely small and if you are from out of town I would definitely take the trouble to make a booking to ensure a table. This is a dining experience that should not be missed. Very well done, Templo!

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

Templo is in a very tiny space in Patrick St , Hobart and most guests sit around a round table . I quite like this after having several such meals around the world and particularly in France.
Our booking was somehow confused but no matter, as space was found and we were rung on progress. We did brave the 8C cold and walked up from the wharf area as we decided to not risk losing our scarce hotel allocated car space so clutching a bottle of Milton Pinot ( it is byo) and wrapped up,we headed off: not many pedestrians to worry about and we arrived ready to eat and drink!
Tiny menu of about 7 Italian inspired items all up and great for sharing,the polenta and duck was a stand out and great to see food served properly hot. Pumpkin/taleggio lasgna was full of flavour ,semi fredo dessert at only $10 a bonus.
The incredibly friendly staff encourage sharing and enjoy explaining what they have prepared.
Costs? $16 or so for small plates,$32 for duck so all good!

As noted,it is also byo and this is worth considering as the bottle prices are on the high side and many are unusual and challenging names and varieties which require a fair but of wine lore. Seemed to be only one red by the glass.
The disparity between food and wine prices was very marked and I guess one does subsidise the other but I think this aspect could put a lot of customers off.

So,buy a good bottle and enjoy well cooked and flavoured food,excellent service and a modest food bill. Or, do your homework or ask and lash out; either way you will not be disappointed.
Highly recommended and a great respite from the touristy food places of which Hobart has many and some very good ones.

1  Thank TSull