“Nice Find”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2018

Friends & I ate here prior to seeing The Cat Empire concert.We had no booking & the esplanade eateries were all packed as we'd imagined they would be. We were welcomed by lovely staff who made an inside table quickly available. The food was excellent, with decent servings & our genuine 'gluten free' friend was easily catered for. It's now on my 'must return' list.

1  Thank Tropicalshowers

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

The Mrs and I were looking for a bit of a change ao looked up a turkish joint to shake things up a bit and were thoroughly disappointed with Ala Turka. The food is more indian than turkish, which isnt a bad thing but then it shouldn't be marketed as turkish which is why i was really disappointed. Serving size and prices dont match up. Not a good value for money. I'd give this a miss if here for a few days only.

2  Thank Aussie-Nawab
Reviewed 20 March 2018

I was looking for an interesting dinner for my one-night stopover in Cairns and chose this Turkish Restaurant. The staff were very friendly and helpful and ensured that they provided me with food suitable for my dietary requirements. I chose the Oven Cooked Vegetables, and they were very tasty, along with the rice and salad and bread. The meal was of a very generous size and a moderate cost. The alfresco seating was just perfect to watch the darkening Cairns skies. Thank you for a lovely dinner.

1  Thank travelbugbitten10
Reviewed 8 March 2018

Every Birthday I ask My mum If we can come here, The food is excellent, staff is friendly, and since they don't over employ, Most of the staff can pick us out now. The owner himself was quite welcoming (and because of this review I get some coke too!) Never forgets a good turn Lamb kofte is overly mouth-explodingly delicious, and the chickend good too. The chips are good even after they get a little cold! (More than can be said for some people *cough* Maccas *cough*) And the turkish lemonade is delicous. Ther is something for everyone

1  Thank bill6mac
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Despite this beautifully decorated restaurant awash with stunningly authentic Turkish rugs,plates, statues etc, I left disappointed as the food did not match the Turkish ambiance. I was looking for authentic Turkish food and originally from inner city Melbourne where Turkish restaurants are a plenty, I grew up eating authentic Turkish food and unfortunately this was not the case at Ala Turka. Their special was a meat dish with mashed potato which my friend enjoyed, but mashed potato! The dips were very tasty, however the bread was toasted too much; it should be hot and soft to easily dip into the dips. I ordered kofta and was very disappointed to see my plate was adorned with round rissole shaped meat patties, not on skewers as they should be. They were extremely salty and I regret not speaking to the staff, who I must say were very nice and welcoming. Steamed rice was served not pilaf rice , which is the way authentic Turkish rice should be made. I noticed other patron’s dishes had steamed rice too. It seemed many of the dishes looked very nice however,they didn’t appear to really be authentic Turkish dishes. Desserts were limited too. I had rose water ice cream which was nice but the Turkish Delight inside the ice cream tasted like hard jelly. Overall it is a beautifully decorated restaurant with lovely staff but not real authentic Turkish food.

2  Thank suejcapel