Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
FindHotel
Trip.com
Hotels.com
Expedia
Snaptravel
2,495 results
All reviews tamarind restaurant junior suite spa bath separate toilet nespresso machine pillow menu room service mini bar beautiful room fantastic hotel trinity inlet our honeymoon king bed enjoyable stay across the road port douglas buffet breakfast
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 October 2021

Excellent Location - very Convenient - Excellent Customer Service from all Staff - Rooms need to be Updated as very Tired - Restaurants are worth Eating at - Great place for Catching up with Friends - Different areas and very Spacious

Date of stay: October 2021
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Wayne Reynolds, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2021

Dear Judy W,
Thank you for your time in reviewing your stay here with us. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for positively highlighting the level of service you received, I will pass your comments onto our team.

Reviewed 15 October 2021

Before getting into this review I must point out that I rarely give lower than 4 stars for hotels (this can be seen by my previous reviews on TripAdvisor).

This was the first holiday for my wife and me in nearly two years. It was also a holiday to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. All started well with the check in process. The lady who checked us in was very welcoming. Her customer service skills were outstanding. By the way she was dressed I think she held a more senior position. This was the first and only time we saw her during our 10 night stay.

Our luggage was brought to our room by the doorman/concierge (Jason) just after we arrived at the room. After we settled in and unpacked our luggage, I put the do not disturb sign on the door so we could both have a nap. We had very little sleep the night before and we had to rise at 3:30am the following morning for a hot air balloon ride. Unfortunately there was to be no afternoon nap due to noise. There was this constant annoying click, bang sound which was the opening and closing of doors. There was the rattle of glass bottles, people talking and objects banging together. I kept thinking this has to stop soon but it didn’t. After about 1 to 1.5 hours I went outside the room to see what the source of the noise was. It was clear what the problem was. Our room was opposite the cleaner’s station. The cleaners kept coming in and out of that room. Now I’m not blaming the cleaners as they have a job to do, but this room should not have been given to us. I rang reception and explained my situation to the lady. She said that there were other rooms available and she will move us. I must say that this lady handled the matter very well. So, after we had unpacked our clothes we now had to repack. Jason arrived at our room and moved us and our luggage to another room. Jason was really helpful and whenever we saw him throughout our stay he always greeted us.

Before we were relocated, I noticed a white note under the door stating that someone from the hotel had come to deliver a gift to us but they didn’t disturb us because the sign was on the door and to see reception for the gift. The next morning at 4am when we were waiting in the foyer to be picked up for our hot air balloon ride I mentioned this to the man at reception. He said he will organise for it to be delivered. It never came. I think it was two days later when we were passing reception we mentioned it to the lady in attendance. She said she would sort it out. Nothing ever happened. The next time we passed reception we mentioned it again to two ladies who were at reception chatting to each other. One of them (who was the dominant of the two) just brushed us off and said she’ll fix it. She seemed annoyed that we interrupted her conversation with her colleague. She had absolutely no interest which was obvious by her body language. I knew nothing would happen because she didn’t even ask for our room number. Of course nothing did happen. After that it became clear to my wife and me that whatever this gift was, we were not going to receive it. My wife speculated that the hotel had it in for us because we complained about the noise from our first room. I’d like to think that this wasn’t the case.

Other issues we had:

On one occasion I ordered some lunch from the pool. When I rang up to place the order, I asked the lady how long it would take. She said 20 minutes. I wasn’t in a hurry I just wanted to make sure I was ready when it arrived. It arrived 40 minutes later which didn’t bother me. The problem was that the food was only lukewarm when it arrived. It appeared that the food had been cooked and then left out until someone was available to deliver it.

Around 3:45am one morning there was this load noise coming from somewhere above our room; like metal banging on metal. After about an hour of this I rang reception and she explained that maintenance was being carried out on the chillers. She apologised and said they were not supposed to make any noise. This probably went on for another 15-20 minutes after I called reception.

The housekeeping was way under par. We had numerous problems with housekeeping. One day we returned to our room after one of our activities. I hopped in the shower and when I got out I noticed there were no towels. Housekeeping had failed to replace the towels. My wife left the room to see if she could find a cleaner. Luckily one of the cleaners was servicing a room on our floor and my wife was able to get some towels from her. Another issue was that the soap didn’t get replaced when we ran out. Another day we left the room at 8:30am and put the sign on our door to service the room. When we left a cleaner was servicing the room next door. When we returned to our room after 2pm our room had not been serviced. This was most annoying. It’s difficult to get comfortable in your room when you’re expecting the cleaner to come in at any time. So we left the room for another hour and when we returned the room was done. When we went out on a trip to the reef, while snorkelling, I was bitten by a fish which caused bleeding on the back of my hand. That night I must have been sleeping with that hand under my head and blood got onto the pillowslip. We stayed another 3 nights and that bloody pillowslip was not replaced.

On the positive side the hotel is in a good location and the rooms are spacious. The bathrooms are well appointed and I do like the toilet being separate with its own hand wash basin. Also the bathroom has a separate shower and bathtub.

During the check out, the woman didn’t even ask how our stay was. She pointed out that I had an outstanding charge for the food and drink I ordered from the pool and said the American Express card they have on record will be used to cover the bill. When I saw my credit card statement there was a surcharge added. This surprised me because when I booked and paid for the room on the same AMEX card back in June there was no surcharge. Although the surcharge wasn’t much, credit card surcharges are something I despise. That should have been pointed out to me and I would have paid cash.

I must also point out a few other things here. Firstly, when my wife and I travel as a couple we endeavour to stay in the best hotels regardless of cost; especially if it is for a special occasion. Secondly we have stayed at this hotel before (I think 2014) and at the end of our stay, we had a very high opinion of it. How things have changed. Thirdly, I booked this hotel back in June before the lockdowns in NSW and Victoria. At that time accommodation in Cairns was heavily booked and I paid top dollar for this hotel. If I had booked later, I would have got a cheaper rate. Fourthly, I am an Accor member. Every year the Accor sales people ring me, begging me to purchase membership. I always hesitate and tell the sales people that the 5 star Accor hotels are not up to the standard of other 5 star hotel brands. They keep telling me that their hotels have improved. The only reason I purchased the card this year is because I was planning to visit Cairns and this hotel was only one of two 5 star Accor hotels we have stayed in that we like (the other is the Swissotel Sydney). Now the Swissotel Sydney is the only one. To rub more salt in the wounds we learned that 2 of this hotels restaurants don’t honour the Accor card. I hope the Accor sales reps read this review.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our time in Cairns. We packed in heaps of activities which we really enjoyed. It was also very satisfying to support operators who are doing it tough at the moment. However, we just had too many issues with this hotel and it was our only let down during this holiday. A good holiday centres around a good hotel. After staying 10 nights, I can see it is not up to 5 star standards. I will conclude by saying in 2016 we stayed at the Jumeirah Zabeel Saray Hotel in Dubai to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. The Jumeirah Zabeel Saray Hotel and the Pullman Reef Casino Hotel are both rated 5 stars, both similar in price, but along way apart in terms of service and quality.

Date of stay: September 2021
Wayne Reynolds, Other at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2021

Dear Lovers1996,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback on your stay.
I do sincerely apologies that we have failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.
Your concise feedback has enabled us to identify areas to improve our service and we are very grateful for your honesty, so that we may strive to do better.

Kind regards,
Wayne

Reviewed 15 October 2021

Stayed here 5 nights with family. We loved this hotel - situated within easy walk to Esplanade eateries, pools, boardwalk & marina. Bed is so comfortable and staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast options could be much better for a hotel of this calibre.

Room tip: Great views across inlet - quiet location
Date of stay: October 2021
Wayne Reynolds, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2021

Dear frazzled_mumma,
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience here with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 October 2021

If you're looking for a true 5 star experience in Cairns then the Pullman Reef ticks all the boxes. This is the most comfortable hotel we have ever stayed in.

The room was super quiet, bed comfortable, bath huge, breakfast amazing, parking easy.

The staff at this hotel are exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble.

We have stayed in a number of hotels in Cairns over the years but we will now always come back here to the Pullman Reef.

Dear RTWTripping,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is so nice to hear that you had such a fantastic time here with us and that so many aspects of your stay were highlighted! We really do appreciate your comments and recommendations.
Again thank you for your time and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 9 October 2021

Excellent position on the Trinity inlet. Close proximity to the board walk restaurants, water terminal for day trips. We stayed in a deluxe room with inlet view. For the money, it was better than Shangri La & Hilton rooms with "same same" location. Great pool with dial-up cocktail service, Matthew on Concerge is a true gem. Old fashioned 5 star service, nothing was ever too much and a true gentleman. We felt he alone made our stay even better. Rooms are nicely fitted out, trevatine tiled bathroom with spa, good sized balcony and the facilities are the best in Cairns. You have the Casino downstairs for entertainment and short stroll to towns best food and beverage spots. We'll be back this December for Round 2.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Wayne Reynolds, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2021

Dear jimmi_eat_world123,
Thank you for your wonderful review!
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for mentioning all the aspects of your time with us that you enjoyed so much. Thank you also for mentioning our staff - I will certainly pass your feedback onto our team as it really does encourage us to continue with what we do best - making our guests feel welcome.
We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next stay in December.