2,503 results
All reviews double tree holiday inn barramundi warm cookies tour desk bottle shop ocean view buffet breakfast excellent location travel desk short walk duty manager port douglas the great barrier reef bit dated an upgrade cairns esplanade
Reviewed 18 September 2018

We stayed here while in Cairns and were left a little disappointed. The check in process was disorganised (meant to contact us when our room was ready by text & didn't) our room was somewhat dated, the bathroom very small - you definitely couldn't swing a cat comes to mind and the daily housekeeping poor. Our room was located above the lobby and was noisy. On a positive note the staff were friendly, the welcome cookie was a nice touch and the location was within walking distance to the restaurants and shops. Unfortunately this Hilton was not up to the normal high standard.

Date of stay: August 2018
doubletreecairns2017, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're very sorry you were unhappy. Our Executive Team is reviewing your comments to ensure they are used to improve our guest's experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

I had read some rather dubious reviews on this hotel before going and was a bit nervous but since it was such a good deal went ahead with the booking anyway. I was so pleasantly surprised. Check in was so easy and friendly. The 2 guys in reception were extremely efficient and made us feel comfortable from the start. Even our request for an upgrade to balcony room was met with all help possible with the upgrade offered for the next day for the rest of our vacation. This was done next day without any bother for us at all. The whole procedure was done for us whilst we were out.
The rooms were spotless and quite large. The only problem we had was the beds are made with a bottom sheet and a cotton covered doona only. We were either too hot using the doona or too chilled without any cover at all. A top sheet would be a great help.
Food and drinks by the pool was delicious and easy. We had room service first night but found it to be fairly average and expensive. We didn’t breakfast or dine there because, to be honest, there were cheaper and better options not 5 mins walk away. All in all we really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely recommend and return. I would normally give a 5 star rating except for the food and it’s pricing.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for your valuable feedback! I'm pleased to read you enjoyed most aspects of your stay so much - and look forward to welcoming you back on your next family holiday!

Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

First off, the DoubleTree is a mid-tier chain so my expectations were moderate. The staff at the front desk and the restaurants were stellar and always helpful, so they get 4 stars. The breakfast included because I’m Hhonors Diamond was really extensive (maybe one of the most extensive breakfast buffets I had seen, including barista coffee/lattes). The property is OK, the room was tiny and the bathroom microscopic. But, ever trying was clean and comfortable. I’d seen the mixed reviews but was really going to be busy for 2 days in Cairns, so basically we slept and showered in the room. It’s adequate for that, but it’s not luxurious. We did have a balcony with a marina view and that was actually nice. It’s a 3 star hotel, no more, no less.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay at Doubletree Cairns on your recent visit, and for taking the time to review. Your feedback is greatly appreciate! We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed at DoubleTree by Hilton Cairns as a getaway for our anniversary. We had reviewed a few hotels but chose this hotel based on the photos on the website & the fact that it was a Hilton hotel. Even though it had mixed reviews we thought it also had a good location. Unfortunately we were very disappointed. We were given a room on the 6th floor no balcony. The room was quite small which wouldn’t have worried us but unfortunately it was very run down and dated. Upon opening the cupboard to the fridge confirmed how old the room really was. Upon walking into the bathroom we discovered it was not only very very small it hadnt been clean properly with a ‘hair’ staring right at us! I showed a staff member who was surprised and embarrassed at what he saw. After complaining staff promptly moved us to another room on the 4th floor. Even though this room was bigger and with a balcony it was still dated. Lamp shade in corner of room broken and sitting lopsided and marks on the wall etc. The fridge also dated and not working properly (freezing all of our drinks). Again our complaints were promptly dealt with. Whilst staff were quick to rectify any complaints I was angry at a male staff member who informed me, when I asked if there were any stairs available in the hotel for use, advised me that the only stairs available were only for emergency use. For someone like me who has a phobia of lifts and prefers stairs, I was disappointed to discover after a day or so there were Infact stairs for hotel guests to use running up 7 floors that were out in the open air (not like ones located in a stairwell). How could a staff member working at the hotel not know these stairs existed. They were unavoidable leading right to the pool area. This really really caused me a lot of frustration. The only positive I have is the pool area. The pool was quite large (yet water very cool). The chairs were also comfortable with a pool bar available to purchase food and drinks. The pool bar staff were lovely and always helpful. While our stay was satisfactory I wouldn’t return. This was also the opinion of other guests who also also commented to us how dated the hotel is.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
doubletreecairns2017, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Reviewed 12 September 2018

The room was spacious and comfortable, the staff were welcoming and efficient, the location is very good and the amenities are good as well. The rain forest planting in the central atrium adds a great feel to the property.

It's the type of experience I've come to expect from A Double Tree and I'll happily stay with the brand again.

Room tip: Ask for a room on the Eastern or Northern side to avoid coming back to a hot room in the afternoons.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I am glad to hear that your stay with us was a memorable one! We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.