Review Highlights
Beautiful scenery

Reviewed 15 November 2020
Auswalkers
Newcastle, Australia
Beautiful drive, gorgeous scenery - ignore the hysterical reviews here.

Reviewed 16 January 2021

from US$132.31
from US$86.12
from US$58.72
More Info
All reviews stunning scenery beautiful drive fog tank parts drought harrington
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 January 2021

This was a beautiful part of our trip to Gloucester. Stunning scenery, especially after the recent rains. There was a large thunderstorm brewing to the west as we drove, which added to the atmosphere. The road has been repaired and is being upgraded in several sections, and as long as you can avoid the potholes at the edges of the road, and a friendly log truck driver waves you past there is no problem. Reading some of the reviews here I’m wondering if they’re all fake as the most “difficult” part of the road is easier than the hairpins down to Kangaroo Valley. Maybe get some better tyres next time if you’re that scared.

Date of experience: January 2021
Reviewed 15 November 2020

This road has had some bad publicity in recent reviews but we found the drive from Gloucester to Walcha in our motorhome to be very scenic and not at all risky. Sure, there were areas where the road surface needed attention but traveling at a sensible speed to appreciate the stunning scenery outweighed these.

Date of experience: November 2020
2  Thank Auswalkers
Reviewed 8 November 2020 via mobile

Locals said to take the scenic route back from New England to Sydney. Thunderbolt’s Way. Somehow I made it back to town, but my mind is still out there in the hills. This trip totally fried my driving brain. 2 lane double lines for miles, either straight up or straight down, if you get stuck behind a truck, hold on baby you’re going to be creeping along behind that beast for the entire trip. Which maybe isn’t too bad because you’d be nuts to go faster than 40kms an hour on this poor excuse for a broken down goat track anyhow. With sheer drops on either side. Apparently Thunderbolt himself actually didn’t go anywhere near this Way. Take a tip from Thunderbolt, stick to the New England Hwy. Easy driving, nice scenery and coffee available in every town. Thunderbolt’s Way is purely for insane escaped prisoners trying to slip out of NSW the back way. And logging trucks.

Date of experience: November 2020
1  Thank fieldnotes10
Reviewed 8 October 2020

It saddens me to see so many reviews suggesting Thunderbolts Way be avoided at all cost, it almost changed my mind but I was determined to take it on. I was riding a 1250 BMW motorcycle, not a small bike, and I can honestly say it was an awesome ride. The road is in good condition, it is steep and bendy but with patience and a good dose of common sense, the drive can be enjoyed for the scenery and the challenging experience. I am no hero or gung ho teenager but a 70+ old dude looking to see the less travelled parts of my country and I can promise, any man or woman wishing to experience this drive, they will enjoy the experience if you drive to the conditions. There is very little traffic using the road, so little pressure to speed. Just drive within your comfort level and stop occasionally to drink in the scenery. Even if it rains or there is fog (in winter), slow down, take it easy and never stress...there is just no reason to be nervous, enjoy, it is a great experience.

Date of experience: October 2020
2  Thank BG315
Reviewed 24 August 2020

If your GPS tells you to go thunderbolts way, my advise is just don't do it find another way.its a very steep uphill climb, and a very steep 6 klm downhill climb. This is the second time I listened to my GPS .. never again it's to terrifying you can't enjoy the scenery while you have a white knuckle grip in the wheel .

Date of experience: August 2020