“Family friendly, smart and comfortable”
Review of Novotel Canberra

Novotel Canberra
Ranked #29 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 April 2016

Quiet, clean and comfortable, but a few issues. The indoor heated pool has a good supply of towels and they do a great breakfast with real coffee. My room wasn't as expected on check-in, my fault, and although the hotel was full we were quickly moved into into a more suitable room. That was great and outweighed the few glitches we encountered. For example, after an hour wait for a room service dinner I called again to check progress - they had omitted to note our room number when the order was taken. Keeping two hungry, tired little ones waiting until after 9 for their dinner was no fun, but the food was good when it eventually found us. The pool is losing its coating and tiles are falling off, in our room the footstool had lost one of its feet, the sofa bed was damaged, the batteries in the tv remote were almost flat. . . But it was clean and quiet, the bed was very comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful and it was good value for Canberra.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Neil P, General Manager at Novotel Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2016

Dear MrsSprocket,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you found the Hotel to your liking. Please accept my apologies that there had been a delay in regards to the Room Service order and will certainly follow this up with the team. I am pleased to also advise that the pool is now currently under refurbishment as part of our ongoing maintenance program and is in the process of being fully retiled and the surrounding decking being replaced. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel on future planned visits to Canberra.
Andrew H

Write a ReviewReviews (3,390)

Reviewed 25 April 2016

I had a king size bed in a room on the third floor. The bathroom had a bath and a shower which is always nice, and everything was relatively modern. There was a double wardrobe with an iron and a suitcase stand as well as extra blankets. There was a small fridge which was great for keeping snacks in. Lovely large room, suitable for relaxing or working - large desk provided - with a recliner and foot rest as well as an oversize couch. Gym and pool facilities as well as a special channel for 30 minute work outs in your room (which I actually tried, and it was good). A taxi stand was right outside as well as being within 5 minutes walk to a bus stop. Friendly, helpful locals.

Room Tip: We had a room on the street side and didn't notice too much disturbance from traffic noise.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family

Dear Amy R,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent visit to the Novotel Canberra. I was pleased to read that you found both the location and Hotel suitable for your needs and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel on future planned visits to the Capital.
Regards

Reviewed 25 April 2016 via mobile

Nice clean room.Stayed at room 502.Beds were very comfortable and sheets were nice and clean.Perfect for short stay with family.Very central and quite at the same time.
The only fault would be cold swimming pool,considering its undercover pool:(

Dear leasok,
Thank you for posting comments following your recent stay at the Novotel Canberra. I was please to read that you found the overall Hotel to your liking. Please accept my apologies that the temperature of the pool was not to your liking. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel on future visits to the Capital.
Regards

Reviewed 25 April 2016 via mobile

I have visited this hotel on a number of occasions and love it's location - a short walk to plenty of restaurants and bars, and close to public transport. The rooms are basic but functional and clean. The hotel car park can be a frustrating experience at very busy times so be prepared for delays but, for the most part, works okay.

What really lets this hotel down is the breakfast buffet. Way too many people for the size of the restaurant and facilities available. So if you can avoid it at busy times, your life will be much easier. There are numerous Cafes close by but beware of weekends and public holidays - very few will be open.

If you can cope with these limitations, I think you will enjoy your stay. I'll be back.

Dear Stephen T,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent visit to the Novotel Canberra. I was pleased to read that you found the Hotel well located and the rooms suitable. Please accept my apologies for the volume of guests dining in the restaurant. Unfortunately during weekends and school holidays it can get busy at times. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2016 via mobile

I've seen and stayed at 100s of properties domestic and internationally over the years. Novotel has always been a safe option so when my family (2A2C) went to Canberra for a weekend I chose there, mainly because it had an indoor pool for my girls to swim. The room was fine, however they only gave us 2 towels and we had 4 of us. The pool was a little cold and on both days we were there, there were so many people you couldn't fit in the spa. There were also no pool towels (run out). Breakfast was ok but again it was so busy that all tables were full, it was a small space so very squashy. They were slow to collect dirty dishes, we had 8 dirty dishes piled up on our table. One night we noticed a line 10 deep trying to check in as there was 1 staff member. There just didn't seem to be enough staff working. It wouldn't stop me from staying here again as the location and rates were good.

Dear 56Katrina_M11
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay at the Novotel Canberra, please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I certainly have taken on your comments and will be addressing with the team to ensure we better improve our resources over peak times for the future. In regards to the pool this is now under refurbishment so will be looking much improved for the future.