“Awesome food in a casual setting with a Killer View!”
Review of Nepenthe

Nepenthe
Ranked #3 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Highway 1 is now open both north and south to our location in Big Sur. There are no closures of Highway 1 between Carmel By-the-Sea and San Luis Obispo.
Reviewed 2 May 2018

We stop by this place for late lunch after touring Big Sur. It was amazing! It is a more casual place but it has a colorful funky vibe. The view from the restaurant was amazing! worth it just to stop for a drink here if you are not hungry. It was lunch menu and We ordered most of the Sandwiches on the menu between 6 of us. I tasted all of them and they were all great! My favorite was the Shrimp BLT. The shrimps in the sandwich were large Prawns that are super fresh. There were 3 of them in the sandwich. Very yummy. My daughter loved their famous burger. The price was very reasonable for the location and what you get.
The only thing that I did not like as much was the brussel sprout, it was a little overcooked and a bit mushy. but the flavor was good.
Highly recommended if you are in the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,025)

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Sure it has a great view overlooking the water, but that's it. The food was terrible. I asked the waitress twice what was in the special duck dish - never did she mention pork which I don't eat. The prices are outrageous - $40 for a subpar steak. I know there is a Big Sur markup but this is outrageous.

Beyond the awful food, they put us in the worst table where the sun at sunset reflects directly in the window. It was so uncomfortable I had to move, but by that time, half my face and eye were sunburned. Instead of warning us about this, the waitress just watched us struggle. This happens every day at sunset - you think they could have given us a warning or placed a shade to help with this.

Would strongly not recommend.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Everything about Nepenthe is magnificent. From the stunning Big sur Views to the fabulous meal and snack choices, to the amazing gift shop and the wonderful staff.
This is definitely a destination place!

Reviewed 27 April 2018

We were there on a beautiful day for lunch, and yes the view is pretty good (not a lot better than other things you will see driving in the area), but to be honest this place is not as mind blowing as most people seem to think. If you dont care about overpaying average food, then i guess you will not have an issue with this place. I ordered their suposedly famous burger, but to be honest for 20USD (without fries) it was hugely underwhelming. average at very best. the beef was ok, everything else was a non event (made from frozen and tasteless bread, tasteless sauce etc...)
It bothers me that a place that puts so much effort in developing a restaurant in such a stunning setting would ruin it by deliberately serving poor food at ridiculous prices. Judging by what i saw on other plates it is true of everything else on the menu. Zero care in trying to make it even a tiny bit special. I would not recommend it as a lunch stop, I would rather bring my own picnic food and have it by the beach.

1  Thank streetfoodlover2014
Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Food portions were large . The hamburger was near 20.00 . Each 3.00 coke I ordered was charged 3.00. Part of outside seating was yellow taped and not being used it was the best viewing area. The outside sitting area for lunch left had minimum views of ocean but was still beautiful. Inside seating has limited views of ocean but was still a nice view.

1  Thank Walter T

Been to Nepenthe? Share your experiences!