See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 October 2015

We stayed here to explore Puglia & had a great time . There was a la carte meals served on some nights & buffet meals on others but the service & food were good . After the meal there was entertainment in the form of a quiz / karaoke etc all in Italian but we joined in each night & loved it . The staff & Italian guests really appreciated us making an effort & we made some friends . The swimming pool was a fabulous place to relax before dinner after a day out exploring . Loads of fab places to see eg Alberobello & the trulli , Matera , Taranto etc

Room Tip: Sea View Room
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2015

Yes, the season was over so the town and indeed the coast were like a ghost area! I liked the hotel as soon as I arrived and was impressed with the entrance, garage parking, lovely pool and a bright and clean reception area.

First impressions are important in life in business or in pleasure. Here I had one of the warmest receptions I have had and all thanks to the smiling, delightful Maria Elena. What a wonderful lady….she is a true asset to the hotel. Her colleague was aslo charming and friendly.

My room was as expected…no great shakes but clean and with a decent bathroom. There is a new wing where I believe the rooms are nicer and more modern.
Sleep was a mixed affair as fellow guests dragged their luggage and themselves on stilettoes along the tiled corridor at 07.00 in the morning. This is not the hotels fault but then tiles on a bedroom corridor are not a good idea!

WiFi? Mmmmm! It’s a problem! It is so slow as to be pretty useless.

Breakfast is taken downstairs in the breakfast dining room. There are in fact three dining rooms! I like my breakfast very much and is in fact my main meal for the day.
Breakfast at the Gabbiano is very poor and basic with a simple buffet of the usual (3) cereals, some yoghurt, whole fruits (3), small croissants and sliced bread. No fruit salad, no good bread, no pasteries, no cakes, no proper croissants, etc, etc.

There is a lovely adult pool with plenty of good loungers and a kids pool besides. A feature for this hotel is the really pretty beach right opposite with a direct walkway from the hotel. In summer the hotel lays out chairs and parasols for their guests. Nice touch!

No problem for dining with a couple of great restaurants nearby.

Yes. Recommended even allowing for the issues such as the poor breakfast and no WIFI.

I would for sure return.

Room Tip: The new wing.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Harleyclarkey
Reviewed 11 June 2013

is the second time for us to stay in this little paradise, and we really appreciate all the staff .....we thank everybody particulary to francesco........food was great and service wonderful for sure we will be back

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I stayed one night only as I was traveling through. It was off season and I was their only guest, and very glad they were even open. The staff was very accomodating and the room was large, immaculate, and well equipped. The lobby is a very inviting area to relax. It would have been perfect if the TV were modern and larger and connected to a cable or satellite system, and if the wireless was available in room. They did have wireless in the lobby, but it involved staff assistance to get it operational.

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor half way down the hall on the north side.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Collazione - breakfast was served in the cave.. can you imagine such a nice infrastructure they have ??? also the food for breakfast was not fresh and did not give you any appetise.
The dinner (cena) served at the table had not taste - at the GALA DINNER we received the local plate of ricotta served with a spoon drashed on our dishes... all the other plates also tastless and not dressed as it should be - this is not a 4 (****) stars hotel ! I had even an indigest - the muscles they served had a muffy scent! Also at the bar you could not get any properly served dish.. (only cheese and bacon and bacon with cheese).
We had to go out for breakfast and dinner - luckily that we found another place (also with 4 stars) but with the level as it should be .. (Hotel Il Grillo) - so we had to pay for this extra (so on top of what we had paid beforehand when booking this hotel)
The so-called confortable rooms for which we additionnaly paid did not have more space than the normal rooms (no bath..) We felt being left alone as it was the end of the season. No space available anymore from the hotel at the beach..
One positive point was that people were friendly and polite.
Sorry but this hotel does not deserve 4 stars.
No recommendation at all.

Room Tip: Confort rooms ok but do not mean an extra to the others
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
MichelangeloGabbiano, Proprietario at Nicolaus Club Il Gabbiano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Mr Riet
I'm really sorry to read this criticism only after your check out.
We always accept all the criticism because they allow us to constantly improve, fortunately these are a small minority. In particular I want to contradict you about our breakfast room (a “cave” for you). I have no idea why you call it in this way even it is used by thousands of people every year and no one has ever had your same impression.
In addition, the food served for breakfast, lunch or dinner is prepared every day, expressly with the freshest local products. If you need different things or in case of something is missing or if you have a special request, we provide immediately to prepare as soon as we are asked.
The Gabbiano Hotel is mainly valued for the quality and variety of our cuisine as you can easily check the other reviews and the continuing certificates of recognition.

The Comfort rooms are more spacious, more comfortable with balcony and walk-in closet and all rooms are equipped with shower. The decor of our hotel follows a simple Mediterranean style because we stay in front of the sea. If it doesn’t meet your taste I'm sorry, but meets the taste of thousands of other customers every year.

Certainly you chose to make the holiday at the end of the season and in this period could happen that some services are not running but everything is fully described in the brochure and on the website. Our private beach was open and running until Sunday, September 23, day after the beach was always guaranteed but without services, such as logic dictates at this time. It was enough to ask the availability of 1 umbrella and 2 sunbeds and we proceeded to place them elsewhere in the beach, as we did with other guests in the hotel that we have asked.

I'm sure if we had the chance to see you again as our guests we would be able to change your mind and demonstrate the validity of our offer.

Friendliness