2,160 results
All reviews the main house leisure facilities manor house coffee lounge sauna and jacuzzi motel style lovely grounds course dinner wedding venue reception staff bar menu buffet style one night stay short break a lovely stay following morning breakfast was excellent
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 November 2020

Stayed one night here, before travelling to catch the ferry to Isle of Wight. Room was ok and comfortable, but glad it was only one night. Food in the dining room was very good, however breakfast seemed unorganised. No menu. soggy toast, had to ask for marmalade and more butter. Good for overnight stays.

1  Thank Joanna H
Reviewed 16 November 2020

We had a lovely break cut short by lockdown#2

Thank you to Jordan and Chloe on reception for the warm welcome and explaining everything to us.

Accommodation is more travel lodge than country hotel and perfectly functional apart from the lack of drawers in the bedroom .

Could do with decorating the common areas as it is a bit tired.

None of the rooms have a view and are not really somewhere you might want to spend any length of time.

The bar is very gloomy and uninspiring.

Plenty of breakfast options however no menu anywhere - virtual or otherwise. Lots of options though and I can recommend the porridge. Mr B liked the cooked breakfast.

Dinner - Good menu which I assume changes weekly. We stayed 3 nights . I had the Hake, chicken with garlic mash (to die for) and the pork (crackling was amazing!) for my mains. Mr B is a big burger fan and had that on two nights and agreed with me on the chicken. Recommend the Creme Brulee! Portions were generous and we did not leave hungry. Wine menu was limited and to my mind a bit on the pricey side.

Covid - everyone wore masks, there was plenty of hand sanitiser and tables were spaced well apart in the restaurant. There was no room maintenance during our stay unless specifically requested which was fine with us.

Overall, the room was clean and comfortable and functional. The common areas could do with some TLC. Food cannot be faulted (the chef obviously has some skill) and the staff were all lovely. Recommended.

Date of stay: November 2020
Reviewed 10 November 2020

Well, I'm not one for reading too many reviews (there are some very fussy people out there of course) so pitched up here for two nights while visiting the New Forest and Poulton's Park. It's about 30 minutes from the park but as it does not open until 10 we thought it was worth while. Oh, I'm very glad we did!

The room was clean, plenty of space for clothes, bags (and children!), the wifi was free and fast compared to other hotels. As there was a long wait for dinner due to covid, we were asked if we would like room service so we had that delivered to the room - excellent idea. Did not eat dinner in the restaurant, too pricey for me personally but the menu looked great.

The swimming pool we had to book a slot in the afternoon, but not in the morning - very clean, organised well with covid (one way in and out etc) and refreshing pool.

Breakfasts - no self service, but we asked for things like toast, yoghurts, cereal several times and staff were efficient and careful with masks etc. Cooked breakfast was very nice and filling! The Bristol Room by the way, wow what a lovely room with some fine artwork.

Lovely grounds too, the treehouse (closed sadly), cricket pitch, woodlands with plentiful bird life. Very relaxing. Overall a great stop off, very clean and covid aware, and offered us everything we needed.

Finally, if I could award service 6 stars, I would. ALL the staff were kind, chatty, polite and helpful, even told me about the history, paintings etc. Thanks!

Reviewed 2 November 2020 via mobile

Read all the reviews before visiting. Had a great stay. Read about the basic rooms. They have everything we needed good bed ,clean bathroom , tea and coffee (bottle of water might have been good but hey the water from the tap is drinkable) Noted complaints about lack of drawers! There are shelves in the wardrobe!! Would say though a shelf in the bathroom would be good but made do with the shower chair. Breakfast now served in dining room couldn’t really complain perfect poached eggs black pudding also added on Sunday. Toast was soggy (Minor point)think they probably stack them rather than standing after toasting was able to ask for jam. Had noted comment about small portions for dinner after 3 courses absolutely full so no complaints there. Also noted several comments about tough steaks(did avoid) but think the problem may not be the meat as it would mean even the broccoli is tough I would suggest it’s the cutlery is very blunt . Had no problems with either the pork or chicken when eating but cutting was difficult. We had booked with Great little escapes £9 dearer than secret escapes but includes 3 courses and a lovely bottle of Prosecco. Hotel VERY Covid aware could suggest some seats under the outside waiting area for reception as can be a long wait but may not be permissible. Had booked for our wedding anniversary was presented with a special plate at dinner. For me was a little disappointed though on the night not very romantic as put in the brighter room with piped pop music for me it wasn’t at all romantic when the hotel sells itself as a romantic get away. However we didn’t pay 4/5* prices we paid Gt little escape/Secret escape prices therefore have to balance this with value for money and would still recommend a stay. Noted complaints about getting wet going to dinning room hey that’s what researching before hand prevents , took a brolly. I didn’t like the bar for me it’s just brown no colour some modern out of place lights. Just had new painting a brown portrait , has beige curtains , beige furniture. lights over the paintings rather than on the ceiling would give some ambience Didn’t feel cosy/welcoming but that’s my opinion My husband didn’t agree. It was clean. However service very pleasant. Forgot to mention as no checkout due to Covid that shower heads could do with some attention although working the rain shower only worked through some holes and the lower shower head leaked out from the join. Would go again though.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2020

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice hotel, with excellent friendly staff however...

We arrived early evening (in the dark). Reception was almost impossible to find due to tiny signage with no lighting and the entrance to the route from the car park to the hidden reception resembling a smoking area.

We checked in and were told that the restaurant was fully booked, but we could eat in the bar - sandwiches or a choice of 3 types of pizza (2 veg, 1 chicken - a strange selection). It was disappointing then that once in the bar, after we had ordered, two other groups started enjoying food from the full menu brought in by waiters from the restaurant. Apparently an exception could be made for dog-owners, but not for us.

The staff also told us that they did not receive the service charge if paid by credit card - unforgiveable at the best of times, even more so now carrying cash is actively discouraged.

Our 'superior' double room is described on the website as having 'patio doors offering direct access to our grounds'. In reality, ours opened out directly onto the main door to the leisure centre.

Room tip: Note that none of the rooms are in the old building itself.