“Worst Ever Sunday Lunch”
Review of Cart & Horses

Cart & Horses
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have Greene King pubs where we live and know normally what to expect.

While staying self catering accommodation nearby for the weekend we treated ourselves to a meal on the Sunday.

It was a disaster! The premises is tired looking at needs some attention however we continued in one good point was that it was table service which was a nice touch.

It was late in the day so I asked if roasts were still on the menu which I was informed yes, speedy and polite service although busy... and we thought busy was a good sign!!

Mum and I ordered a roast pork... meant to come with all the trimmings - what we were served was terrible.

The veg was spare and potatoes were passable but the meat was extremely poor. No crackling or Apple as described.

Mum just had pork fat and I had thick cut brown in coloured ends of a cut that were rancid.

On making comment to the waitress we did get a steaming dish of pale microwaved pork cuts that which was not appealing.

To be fair I did speak with the manager (something that I dislike doing but in this case was warranted) and we were fully refunded for the roast meals.

The boys had basic scampi and gammon steak which were reasonable.

Although we were refunded there was a reluctance to accept there was a problem and no apology offered.

It certainly spoilt what was meant to be a nice evening meal out!

CartandHorses, Manager at Cart & Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Rachel B,

Thank you for leaving a review.

We are sorry that the food didn't meet your requirements or specification for the roast dishes. A member of staff should have let you know what was left on the menu as during the evening the roast dinners are subject to availability.

I have raised all the issues at our latest team meeting with both front of house and kitchen management.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Overall the food and drinks were good, the menu was very good with plenty of choice! My friend did try for a drink that was not obtainable! I can certainly recommend the Cart and Horses, the only downside I found, trying to book up was very difficult, I called at least 3/4 times before I could make the booking.

CartandHorses, Manager at Cart & Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Don B

Thank you for leaving a positive review, I will ensure your feedback about answering the phone is raised at the next team meeting.

We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great service; our waitress, Anoushka, was very helpful and on it with checking our table to be ready for whatever we needed next. She was there just as the thought crossed our mind :)
Food served quickly, nice menu.
Would definitely recommend and will return.

Dear Walsy323

Thank you so much for leaving such a lovely review! I will be sure to pass on the kind words to Anoushka who will I am sure be delighted!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Met with my daughter for an evening meal. Even on a Wednesday night this typically English rustic pub was busy. Dare I say quite noisy in the restaurant but not unreasonably so. Served by a very smiley Anoushka who made us feel very welcome indeed.
We both chose breaded mushrooms followed by macaroni cheese and salad - which were served in good time and were well cooked and tasty dishes.
A nice touch is that they always check during the meal if all is well then leave a wooden horse on the table to show the question has been asked - a good, quality touch.
Price wise quite reasonable.
All in all an enjoyable, relaxed meal and I would recommend it.

Rob C

Thank you very much for leaving us a positive review! Trade on Wednesdays is very high and can result in noise but none the less we are glad to hear Anoushka made you feel so welcome!

The macaroni cheese is one of my favourites too!!

We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This pub is really nice for family meal. Had an early dinner with kids and the food was very nice and staff very helpful. I would recommend if you are looking for a relaxed meal in a good atmosphere.

Dollyjan

Thanks for leaving such a lovely review!

We are glad the kids had a lovely time too!

Look forward to seeing you again