All reviews blu restaurant private beach sea view hotel guests porto cervo hotel beach beautiful location per day life guards reception staff star rooms short stroll salt water blow your mind wedding guests main issue blowing hot air
Reviewed 28 August 2018

This hotel was really beautiful and we had exceptional service from the staff at breakfast time where they remembered my coffee order each day. The terrace was the most fabulous place to relax in the evening after a long, very hot day. Our barman, Silla was attentive and friendly. The local wines are excellent. Our room was very comfortable with lovely linen, a good bed and perfect shower.

Front desk staff were most helpful in ordering taxis to Porto Rotondo, Olbia and Porto Cervo. Overall, Everything was perfect and we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2018
GabbianoAzzurroHotel, Proprietario at Gabbiano Azzurro Hotels & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our Gabbiano Azzurro Hotel & Suites and for taking the time to share your experience about your stay with us. Also, we thank you for giving us the highest rating possible and the great comments about our receptionists and services.

I am truly delighted to read that our staff service met your expectations and was able to deliver a personal touch to your morning routine.
Silla, our barman, is indeed a plus to our Main Bar and I will be happy to share your special mention of him.

It is always very encouraging and inspiring whenever we receive positive feedback from our valued Guests.
I would be most happy to welcoming you once again.

Kind regards,

Member of the Family Owner

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

I will start by saying that from a location perspective, the hotel has beautiful views. The harbor is lovely and the beach is very nice. That said, I’m just not sure that it’s worth the price. If we had booked a higher category room I would definitely be pretty disappointed. I booked the hotel at the end of our month long trip to Portugal, Italy & Croatia. The kids wanted a hotel with a pool, I was looking for some top notch relaxation. I have stayed at wide range of accommodations and really had higher expectations, particularly given the room rate in excess of 500€ a night. I wanted to love this hotel and add it to the return list, but I don’t think we would come back for the price paid :(

First, our room... we were told we were upgraded. Not really sure, the room looks identical to what I booked. We are overlooking the street. The street is quiet, so no concern there, but it definitely lacks ambiance. I did think the resort would be a bit more remote. The room itself is nicely decorated. The bathroom is nice and everything is clean. The AC is cold. The room was cleaned today, but no turndown service.

The pros of our stay
1. Our son’s birthday was yesterday and we returned home after dinner to a nice little cake. He turned 8 and was actually a bit upset to be away from home and it made his night! I did not tell anyone it was his birthday, so they must have seen it on his passport. I definitely appreciated that attention to detail.
2. The pool is quite nice. It’s a salt water pool, has a good number of loungers, but it does “close” from 1-4 PM
3. Breakfast is good. But nothing above what I would expect for this class of hotel - an omelette or pancakes are an 8€ - 10€ upcharge when many similar hotels have a small station for such things.

The cons of our stay
1. The 30€ upcharge for an umbrella and chairs. I don’t like being nickel and dimed. I felt pressured to reserve in advance because it’s busy, but going back and forth between the pool and beach combined with very cloudy afternoons means we have spent probably a total of 3-4 hours on the beach over 2 days. There are so many empty loungers throughout the day that i suspect others are in the same situation (given that they were nearly fully booked). In addition, the loungers are so close together than you move out a bit from the umbrella into the sun and you’re in your neighbors lap. I have paid for plenty of loungers across public beaches in Europe, but I’ve yet to pay for a lounger on a hotel’s beach anywhere in my travels thus far. It’s off-putting.
2. Towel cards. This is such an old process. How many people are walking off with towels? They aren’t even that nice. They serve their purpose, but are well worn. I just don’t want to manage towel and card count on my vacation.
3. Food options are really lacking. We realized this upon initially seeing the menu in the elevator. No children’s options. Nothing quick or easy. No room service it seems. We did go out of the hotel to eat the first night (also not a ton of options around), but wanted to get something quick the second night within the hotel. Nothing opens until 7:30 (very typical in Sardinia). The “inside” restaurant has a nightly menu. Figuring out what the kids would eat was a chore. Overall it felt expensive for the offering. Portions were very small. It feels like a pizza menu or more casual option would be pretty well received. It just seems odd to have 2 similar restaurants right next to each other.
4. Bar Service: I love sitting on the beach or by the pool and having a couple drinks or enjoying a coffee but I don’t like getting up and finding a bartender every time. No one comes around periodically to check in and it’s not like the bar is slammed. We had our lunch served to the beach and no one came to take the plates later. The service is just sloppy.
5. WiFi service is very poor. There is no reception in the room at all. Not even enough service to get logged on. The service is much better in the lobby, but I was relying on connectivity for work. I’ve had to tether to my phone which isn’t the fastest either. I would prefer to spend time outside than wrestling with my email.

All in all our stay was nice. While I don’t regret our stay, I did not find it to be a great value. I cannot imagine staying here for a week. The extra charges, lack of variety in dining options (both in the hotel and in the immediate vicinity) and poor WiFi coverage are deal breakers.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
GabbianoAzzurroHotel, Proprietario at Gabbiano Azzurro Hotels & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to tell us the positive and the negative aspects you experienced in the 2 days you have spent with us.

I will happily share your good comments with our staff, and thank you for bringing to our attention the points of weakness in regards to our towel procedures (all towels are brand new, probably you arrived before we had the time to change them), I am sorry you do not understand the €15 payment for the beach use, per day and per person. It is very well, repeatedly explained in many of the answers I gave in the last past reviews and I understand that for many foreigners this may sound strange. It is actually still the best way to guarantee the quality of Guests permanence on our private beach and it has worked well in the past 15 years and still will.

Italy is the country of food and our hotel food offer is wide and dedicated to all typologies of requests: I think that in the short break you took here you probably haven't learned it from our staff, which is what is disappointing me and I will stress this lack of communication among our waiters and staff. Thank you for highlighting this, too.

I am sad to read that we couldn't make you feel the value for money of your experience in this stunning corner of Paradise and I will do my best to see if we can fix some of the highlighted points you kindly brought up.

Sunny regards from Sardinia,

Reviewed 19 August 2018

Review - Gabbiano Azzurro

Hi,

I stayed for 9 nights in August 2018. Here is my review:

Negatives

1. On arrival I was given the typical hotel spiel that I was “upgraded to a superior room”. It was in fact a lie and the identical to the room I booked. Tip: don’t greet tired travellers with lies...
2. Sun-beds are 15 Euro a day extra on top of your hotel price. Extortionate considering how much we paid for the hotel. You can’t even sit on a towel on their private beach!Tip: build this cost into your hotel fees.
3. Blu Restaurant - service was awful. We got our bottle of wine half way through your second course. Food was good though and compliments to the chefs!
4. WiFi - when it worked it was terrible. I ended up working on my 4G.
5. Irons - none. I asked reception for an iron so my girlfriend could iron her dress before we went out. I was told by reception that there were no irons and that I would need to use their laundry service. So we asked the cleaning ladies (who were amazing and down to earth!) and they gave us an iron and and ironing board :-). A hotel without irons?
6. TV - no movie channels only news channels. Very limited.
7. Water sports - I love to go SUP boarding. I tried 4 days straight to rent one from the hotel and kept getting told by the life guards to come back in an hour. I even went back once and he was sleeping in his office. I gave up and used the Shop in the middle of the beach. Cheaper and friendlier!
8. Adjacent construction site noise in the morning. I wish I knew it was going on.
9. A few of the sun beds by the pool are broken. My girlfriend hurt her neck when it dropped back and I quickly lifted it out of the way so the life guards could remove it. I found out they just moved it somewhere else the next day and it was still broken...

Positives

- Cleaning staff were friendly, helpful and amazing!
- Location and views are amazing
- Breakfast was great but what you would expect for the price you pay
- Very clean
- Pool is small but nice (Salt Water Pool).

Would I stay again? No I would not. Think I would go for an Air B&B if I was to come back to Golfo Aranci again. But maybe that’s just me :-) Wish I didn't book last minute!

Kind Regards,

Art

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are better
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

it is with pleasure and full attention that we read feedbacks and reviews, whether good or bad, as they help us understand what we do right and what we do wrong. This is why we take each review very seriously and we take time to answer and ponder well our answers.

In this specific case, I think there’s a lot to say that we can only explain so late, after your departure and only in writing, because you felt you didn’t want to share anything of this long list when you were here.
If you did, your definitive judgement would have probably been different, and your holiday too, and I am very sorry for you because our most important concern is that each and every Guest goes back home having enjoyed the best out of their free time spent here.

Let me answer to each of your points:

1. we checked your booking as it was easy to identify your review, and you actually booked a Classic Village View Room. We freely upgraded you to a Superior Village View, a wider room at higher floor, furnished in white, which favours of a higher and therefore better view, more amenities (bathrobe, slippers, tea/coffee making facilities daily available), plus a bathroom with bathtub and shower jacuzzi. I am therefore very sad that you felt like we were “cheating” when we were actually and literally giving you something of greater value. If you have any doubts about the differences between the 2 rooms, you can compare them here and check with your original booking: http://www.hotelgabbianoazzurro.com/en/Sardinia-luxury-hotels-room

2. I am confused by this complain when I personally answered to your email of the 22nd July, writtend for inquiries before your arrival, when you asked explanation in regards of our private beach and I explained very well everything, so I don't understand why you didn't say anything back then and only now you raise uo the subject, again. The beach payment is a standard procedure in all private beaches of Sardinia, and of course Guests who do not want to use the private beach are not allowed to occupy it otherwise it would spoil the service and livable quality of Guests who pay to receive a better service. Luckily the public beach is adjacent to ours, and therefore all Guests have it available and free of charge. This payment info is well explained in many places, and not only in the email that you requested, also for example on our website: http://www.hotelgabbianoazzurro.com/en/Location/Beach-golfo-aranci

3. our Blù Restaurant: I have personally dug to understand what happened with the service at our Blù Restaurant and the Maitre himself told me that when he took your order, you were enjoying your aperitivo drink that your ordered before dinner and you expressed the preference of ordering a wine maybe later when your drink would be finished. I think it was just a simple misunderstanding, for which the Maitre and we apologize but does not explain such negative words against our service.
Moreover, I am very surprised by the compliments that you are giving to our Chef, stating that food was actually good, while on our Blù Restaurant Tripadvisor profile you left the lowest score possible and a very negative feedback….I think you are contradicting yourself here.

4. I am sorry that you were counting on a strong, powerful wifi connection, unfortunately due to old local infrastructures, there is no stable signal anywhere in the area during the peak of season when the place is crowded. This is why the WIFI service is totally free, otherwise it would really be disappointing and we totally understand your point.

5. thank you for highlighting this extra mile that one of our housekeepers did in order to please your repetitive demands. I am though very disappointed by this concession they made because we actually do not allow the use of irons in our rooms under any circumstances, due to a local law which forbids it for fire safety reason and this is why our Receptionists couldn’t satisfy your request, explained why and offered the ironing service from our internal laundry, as most hotels nowadays do. I will find out who did this and take precautions so that it will never happen again, because we need to be “down to earth” on a different level, which means taking care not only of your satisfaction, but also yours and all our Guests safety first.

6. TV: thank you for highlighting this lack of movies, it was never mentioned before and we will check how we can add up more movies. At the moment our satellite TV service offers 70 channels from all over the world, which means of course italian, german and english, but also french, russian, spanish, turkish etc. This diversity probably does not allow to choose among many english choices. We will intervene to add a wider english offer, thank you.

7. My deepest apologies that the lifeguard did not explain that the SUP school is an outside service which we host in our beach but of which we do not control agenda or bookings. I am sorry you were not made aware of this, please accept my apologies.
In regards to the lifeguard that you found sleeping inside their storage room, you need to understand that we have 2 lifeguards during the peak of season. The one you have seen was actually off duty, but when the beach is very crowded, he takes his moment of rest inside the beach storage room just in case there's need of any extra help or there’s an emergency. You probably didn’t see the lifeguard who was on duty, maybe he was assisting someone and you mistook him for the one on duty. I am sorry that you felt like people are sleeping when they are on duty, and I apologize that we could give you this impression.

8. The noise you heard is something we are absolutely not aware of and no other Guest reported or complained about. It is really a pity that you didn’t share this issue with our Reception because we could have asked the municipal police to check and intervene thanks to a local law that forbids all works during the month of August.

9. I am terribly sorry that your girlfriend got hurt and I don't understand why we were not made aware of the accident. I have personally checked all sunbed and didn’t find the mentioned broken sun bed. Probably the pool lifeguards could finally fix it. All sunbed are now in good order but of course everybody uses them so it’s also with the Guests’ help sometimes that we can find if something is being damaged and has to be replaced. Thank you for highlighting this.

I can hardly believe you could find something positive and I am delighted that you did and that you underlined the attentiveness of our housekeeping, our cleanliness, the beauty of our location and position at sea.

I just wish you shared your issues with us during your stay instead of finding out only now how badly disappointed you have been, maybe we could have done something to make you fully enjoy your holiday, making things better when possible and where actually needed.

Kind regards from Golfo Aranci,

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

Disappointed, the only world I can use to describe the hotel and our holiday .We were given unclassified , basement dark room above the garage , part of the suite even though we booked room with balcony.

The room was on the main road so we could not even draw the curtains back not to mention open the window!

This hotel is far cry from the 4 star maybe 3 at the best!

After mych of the afternoon trying to get what we paid for, ( it was expensive room) we were oferred tiny tired looking room (room 110) for 6 nights on the first floor and then back to basement.

The hotel beach you are allowed on only if you pay 30 euros a day for 2 sunbeds and an umbrella! When I put my purse and towel on the sand on my first afternoon at 5pm I was ordered to go to the public beach behind the rope. Never had anything like this in my life.

The best thing about the hotel is the views from reastaurant terrace during the breakfast and dinner which was closed last few days of our holiday with no explanation whatsoever.
Whole experience put me off Italy for life.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
GabbianoAzzurroHotel, Proprietario at Gabbiano Azzurro Hotels & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2018

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking time to share your experience on Tripadvisor, it is always constructive to receive feedbacks, even when they are so severe and undeserved like yours, as we perfectly remember all your days spent with us. We appreciate the confrontation with demanding travelers like yourself: your Tripadvisor reviews average says that with 23 reviews only 9 had a positive feedback, meaning that in your opinion 60% of the places you visited (not just Italy I might add) were not worth it.

This is why we are very sorry for your holiday and we understand that, being so demanding, you must have had a misunderstanding with your Tour Operator, because the room they booked for you is not for a demanding traveler, on the contrary it is an “Economy with no balcony”, a room that we do not sell on our website because it is destined for few, rare occasions when Tour Operators wish to offer a beautiful location in an expensive area like ours, but being able to keep the room price as low as possible. It is true that these rooms have no balcony, but they are not in the “basement” or directly on the street. They face and offer an external patio furnished with tables and chairs, and there's a green hedge to separate the patio from the street.

I remember that you were very disappointed for not having a balcony, and again we are very sorry because this is exactly the reservation we received from your Tour Operator, as you well know because we showed the papers of your booking many times when you were here.

Nonetheless, we were very happy that we could manage to offer you an upgrade (mentioned room 110), totally free of charge, a Compact Room with sea view and its own balcony overlooking the Terza Spiaggia beach and lagoon.

Considering it was the peak of season, I am sorry that we couldn't leave you in the room even longer, but as explained to you and as you can understand, those rooms were already booked and when the hotel became fully booked, we had to give them to the Guests that had previously reserved them. We are sorry to learn only now that you didn’t appreciate either this upgraded room, where you stayed for the most part of your holiday (6 days out of 11), that we could offer just in those days where it was free and we were not yet fully booked.

Moreover, I understand that your disappointment extends also to the private beach, for which you didn’t want to rent our loungers.
This is a service we offer to those Guests who wish to enjoy our private portion of the beach in full comfort and with our attendance. The public portion of beach is adjacent to ours and Guests who wish to use it are free to stay there, and of course they are not allowed to occupy the hotel portion with towels and bags, otherwise the beauty of the dedicated area, its habitable quality as well as the quality of our service would be totally spoiled.

Thank you very much for the words of appreciation to our Blù Restaurant!
I know you enjoyed not only the location but the food as well, as you had most of your dinners here.
The Blù Restaurant is always open during the high season (weather permitting), and actually just for the 12th of August its terrace was fully booked for a private event of 1 night, therefore we gave a written letter to all guests by hand explaining the changes of location in order to give everyone in-house the opportunity to choose a table in the internal restaurant.

In the end, our biggest disappointment is that you didn’t have the vacation you were looking for, and this is all due to a bad misunderstanding between you and your Tour Operator in regards to the room booked.

Form our side, I am sure we did the best we could, also regarding our availability to sort out the problem with your Tour Operator offering ourselves to be of reference to mediate between you and them.

I feel sorry that you think it’s all our fault and that people should stay away from our location because, as you said yourself, it has beautiful views and position at sea.

I hope you will do something great and incredible: I hope that you will give us and yourself another chance, booking directly with us so that we can choose the proper accommodation for your demands and that you change opinion not only about our Gabbiano Azzurro, but about Italy as well! It has so much to offer and you were just not lucky with this one reservation.

Kindest regards from Golfo Aranci,

Reviewed 14 August 2018

This is built on a small promontory between the two main beaches, one being about 100 metres away and the other actually accessible directly from the hotel. Good restaurant with a lovely view, nice pool, friendly staff. IN short very good value.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

we are very grateful for your top score review. We always strive to deliver a most professional and authentic service to all our Guests and the best reward is to know that you considered it a good value experience!
We would all be very happy to make sure we will exceed your expectations during your next stay with us.
Kind regards on behalf of all us,

Member of the Family Owner