“Excellent pastries, brunch, bread & afternoon tea”

Manouche Craft Bakery & Bistro
Price range: US$5 - US$32
Description: Manouche Craft Bakery makes exclusive use of organic grains sourced from Doves Farm Mill in the UK. We use nothing but natural products, and insist on purchasing ethically. The colours, ingredients and menu items in our kitchen change with the seasons, as we seek to strike perfect and dynamic chords with our patisserie, viennosiere, chocolate and savoury creations. The creative process is where our team flourishes. We embrace the whimsical nature of our ever-changing display, and offer our guests both variety and playfulness in flavour and design. Follow our blog and baking schedule to stay ahead of our evolving menu. Everything at Manouche is handcrafted on site - with an uncompromising dedication to the highest-quality ingredients and mastery of French & European techniques. Our baking philosophy underpins everything we do, from the natural slow fermentation process of our sourdough, to small-batch cooking ensuring that our food is always oven fresh.
Reviewed 23 October 2021 via mobile

One thing I love is when the level of the service and food does not decline by time. There are some eateries where they start offering excellent service and food to entice the customers and when they would have built a loyal customer base, their service and find quality declines. This is not the case in Manouche. The service and food have always remained impeccable. Manouche excels in sweets, bread and brunch food. I was never disappointed in their ware - the croissants, macarons, cookies, ice-creams, chocolate and French pastries are one of the best I’ve ever eaten. And the same could be said for their brunch food, bread and afternoon tea. Whilst, they excel at sweets and brunch, their dinner food and bizza (their take on pizza) were not something I was sold on. Therefore, if you truly want to enjoy Manouche at what it does best I recommend the sweets, brunch and bread as well as their afternoon tea which is excellent. They offer the best scones I’ve ever had in Malta.

The service is also impeccable. One thing that impressed me is that the service pre and during COVID has remained the same. They truly maintain social distance whilst they give you the attention a brunch/sweet cafe is expected to give.

I’d recommend that one tries their flagship cafeteria - the one found in St Julians to truly enjoy Manouche at its best. The Valletta outlet is small and the eating area is very limited. The Valletta outlet can be used if you want to order something to go.

Date of visit: October 2021
Write a reviewReviews (153)

Reviewed 1 October 2021

They excel at pastries - they are easily one of the best in Malta. Once I ordered chicken pieces and I was not impressed at all... they were okay but I've had much better. However, I repeat... the pastries are to die for! My favourite is the zeppole, but they only serve them during March.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 29 September 2021

I have been wanting to visit for quite some time. When I finally did, it was not what I expected. The Valletta outlet is small and poky but it is not the management's fault. I ordered green tea as well as an orange and hazelnut tart. I poured the tea and it looked like hot water. I asked the server for a tea bag but she told me that tea was in the pot because they serve it the old way, but she did not explain further. There were tea leaves and a filter but I had no idea what to do, so no tea for me. As for the tart it was hard and dry and I tasted no orange. Maybe it was not my day! One positive was the lady behind the counter who was very nice.

Reviewed 25 September 2021

A mixed bag of experiences.

Parts of this restaurant / café look really nice: the bakery and confectionary counter are well presented and enticing. The space around the counters is pretty well presented too.

The food was really good too, and didn't take long to arrive. The menu states that food can take a little longer, all being freshly prepared etc., but we didn't experience. Coffee was decent. We would have stayed for cake but my later point leads on to why we did not.

The eating area, however, felt tired and shabby and the food service seemed to be a little discordant with the glassware. Everything felt like it had been found in a charity shop which has its place sometimes, but not her.

The service was almost universally bad. The restaurant wasn't busy but we weren't acknowledged for about 90 seconds on entering and standing by the "wait here to be seated" sign. Waiters walked past but it took a while to be noticed. When we were eventually seen and somebody spoke to us, the reception was hostile and we were waved to a number of free tables and told to choose one.

When our food arrived, it was dumped on the table and the waiter walked away without a word and without asking if we needed anything else.

Admittedly, one waiter did come up to the table toward the end of the meal asking if everything was okay, but this may have been because they overheard us taking about how awful the service had been up until that point.

Good food, good looking cake, dreadful service. We won't be visiting again when we return to Malta.

Reviewed 2 September 2021 via mobile

What a great find. We spotted a local with an iced coffee and she directed us here.
Small shaded outdoor seating area.
Cakes are stunning