From Bangkok Holy Tattoo Experience at Wat Bang Phra

Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Wat Bang Phra Temple
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 February 2020 via mobile

Took the bus from central to the Wat Bang Phra about an hours journey. Keep the whole day free to get a San Yakt tatto from the monks and roam around the temples

Date of experience: March 2019
3  Thank GauravG1901
Reviewed 14 November 2019

Wat Bang Phra is a epicenter for Sak Yants, and if you don't know the history of Sak Yant, then don't get one before you have the understanding and are willing to live with a Sak Yant

Sak Yants is for some people a way of life, and there are rules of conduct that follows the different designs

There are great powers conected with a Sak Yant, and are not a fassion object...

Date of experience: December 2018
6  Thank Freberhardtdk
Reviewed 25 March 2019 via mobile

Faith in teachers .!!!!!!belive or superstition And respect teachers Here is Bang Phra Temple Pupil of Luang Pho Plue Nakhon Pathom.Faith in teachers will make life prosperous. Sathu Sathu.Sathu.

Date of experience: March 2019
11  Thank ThaiTcar_Transport
Reviewed 28 January 2019 via mobile

Today I got my Sak Yant Tattoo at the Wat Bang Phra temple. I started at 6:30 in the morning with my favorite taxidriver Mr. Chaengsawang (the only one I had no near-death-experience with) from Bangkok .
We arrived one hour later at the beautiful Buddhist Temple and I left him sleeping in his cab to see the monk. But first I had to buy flowers, cigs and incense as an offering. I dropped my offerings in a silver bowl when I arrived at the room and took a couvert from another golden bowl to add an additional offering of 300 Baht. I was the only westerner there that Monday morning and examined the procedure carefully with the four people that have been there before. When it was my turn I crawled on my knees to the monk (who was Luang Pi Nunn himself!), bowed three times, handed him my offering and took off my shirt. Now I heard him mumbling something the first time ever. He dragged me around, lifted my arms and was obviously searching for free space. He found it on my right rib cage (great fun in terms of pain). He was searching his plastic bags for a specific stamp to use as a stencil he though would suit me the best. He placed it and two guys were pushing me in the position pretty ungently for tattooing and were holding my skin tight. The Monk immediately began to work (with the same needle and ink he used for the four people before me). I still didn’t know what I’ll get so far. He wasn’t pretty gentle with me at all. After a while he stopped and drew lines on me using a marker and then tattooed the script freehand, wiped my tattoo and tapped my back. His work was done after he mumbled a blessing and blew on the tattoo to activate it’s holy power.

Following you’ll find helpful hints and the expected costs.

HELPFUL HINTS

-Wear a Shirt that covers your shoulders and long pants

-Take off your shoes before entering the building

-Be there early to avoid waiting times

-The Monk appeared at exactly 8:30

-Be friendly, quiet, respectful and humble

-No pictures in the room you get tattooed

-Be aware, that hygienic standards are non-existent (Same needle and ink for everyone that day, open building, stray dogs, no gloves and self-mixed ink which - as the legend says about Luang Pi Nunn - contains snake venom)

-Be aware that the quality of the tattoo is far from western standards. If you’re going there because it’s cheap: just don’t. It’s an experience and a deep dive in the Buddhist culture. Treat it as such!

-Go there at the end of your vacation - new tattoos are not allowed to be exposed to sunlight and water

-You’ll find the room to get your Sak Yant when you enter the temple from the parking lot on the very left, walk straight ahead (you’ll pass the stand to buy the offerings) to the building with the two colored tiger statues in front, turn right and head to the directions of the toilets. You walk up a small staircase at the left to get there.

-It seems that there’s another room above where you get Sak Yants with fresh needle and ink and you can choose the motive and spot, but get charged. For me this wasn’t an option since I wanted it oldschool.

-If you meet a friendly cab driver on your way through Bangkok that speaks English, ask him to pick you up at your hotel at the desired time and date - he’ll be happy to do so.

COSTS

Going from center to Wat Bang Phra, waiting time and going back:
~1500 Baht

Offerings:
75 Baht

Additional Offer:
Up to you. But hey: you’re getting a tattoo for free - don’t be a cheap f**k!

Hope that helps you guys and gals.

Date of experience: January 2019
19  Thank Guts_and_Glory
Reviewed 21 January 2019

Amazingly beautiful river-side temple with hundreds of fabulous sculptures. Great place for families with children. Even offers boat rides on the river.

Date of experience: January 2019