All reviews drinks reception wedding venue golf buggy wedding reception from start to finish west cork o neill wedding review wedding co ordinator sunday lunch a family run hotel top class bridal party surrounding countryside food was amazing beautiful hotel on arrival
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had such a fabulous wedding day. Everyone was talking about how good the service and the food was. Fernhill definitely cemented their reputation for spectacular food among our guests. All of the staff made the day more than we could have hoped for by going above and beyond for our guests and ourselves.
From the first day we met Ann, Neill and Micheal we were made to feel like nothing was a problem and it helped us stay relaxed. As a result we had a wonderful day knowing everything was taken care of. We even had a few people say they would love to 're do their wedding in the gardens of Fernhill. To make people want to get married again just shows how amazing the venue is.
We're both really looking forward to attending the next family wedding there.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Michael F, Owner at Fernhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Norma m a chara,

Michael jnr here, one of the fourth generation of O'Neill's caring for Fernhill.

Thank you sincerely from all the team here at Fernhill for choosing to have your wedding here and for taking the time to let us know about your 'fabulous' wedding.

Your comments were lovely and really captured all that we try to do here at Fernhill. They brought a big smile to all of our faces. Especially 'Fernhill definitely cemented their reputation for spectacular food among our guests'. That was lovely to hear.

We would like to wish you all the very best for your futures together and look forward to the Mulcahys next big day!

Fourth generation proprietor,

Reviewed 9 October 2018

We had our wedding Ceremony & Reception at Fernhill House Hotel in early September 2018. It is beyond words how excellent this venue is. From the gardens, to the hotel itself, the food and the staff were excellent. Ann Cullinane the wedding co-ordinator was lovely. She is friendly and so professional and easy to deal with. We ended up getting married in the gardens because the weather was so fabulous.The location of Fernhill exceptional. The gardens are so well maintained and I got some really fabulous photos of our special day. The marquee was fabulous for the drinks reception. The food was exceptional. I got so many compliment that the food was excellent on the day of the wedding. I was so delighted to hear this. The day was everything I could imagined it to be from start to finish. Overall I can highly recommend this venue for a wedding. Thank you to the Ann Cullinane, O'Neill Family and all the staff at the Fernhill House Hotel for making our day so special.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

A chara,

Michael Jnr here, one of the fourth generation of the O'Neill family here at Fernhill.

Thank you sincerely for your lovely comments. It was our pleasure to host your big day for you, your family and friends. I will share your comments with the team and I am sure that they will get a big lift from them. Especially Ann.

We wish you both an amazing life together and hope to see you again soon at Fernhill.

Proprietor,

Reviewed 1 October 2018

We had our wedding reception at Fernhill on 25 August 2018. It just isn’t possible to express into words how great it is as a venue. ​

Anne Cullinane for a start is an amazing coordinator and put us at ease from the very moment we met her. She is friendly, helpful and efficient and an absolute asset to Fernhill. We had to make a few changes to the day at the last moment and she took them all in her stride with a smile. Nothing was too much trouble for her and she has this great way of making you feel like your wedding is the most important one of the year.

The O’Neill family themselves were also great. There was always someone at hand during the day when we ever needed anything, including their son Neil in the middle of the meal when my niece declared that she would eat unbuttered toast only, Teresa herself when one of our guests unfortunately had a fall on arrival at the hotel (Teresa took her and her husband to hospital in Cork city and stayed with them for hours) and Michael Snr who dropped some relatives back to their local hotel at 2am(ish) in the morning when they started to walk with their tired kids.

The whole day ran smoothly and Fernhill took care of a lot of things which other hotels don’t, like the personalised menu cards (our picture was taken on arrival and on the menu an hour later!) and seating plan and the flowers on the tables. The marquee is also wonderful for the drinks reception and the grounds are stunning.

I am originally from Cork but my (new) husband is from Cumbria and we both live and work in London so we had quite a few guests travelling from England. We have had nothing but praise from our English guests regarding the beauty of West Cork and almost every guest, English and Irish, has been talking since about how great Fernhill was as a venue. I cannot recommend it enough.

One final note: waiting for a bus near the beach on our honeymoon in Hawaii, we happened to meet a couple from Cork (as you do) who amazingly also got married at Fernhill! There followed a conversation of mutual appreciation and love for Fernhill. I am so glad we decided to get married there.

Stayed: August 2018
4  Thank LondonMagic101

A chara,

Wow, thank you for your amazing review. It truly was our pleasure.

We did feel bad for your guest who fell, had an injury and could not enjoy the day to the fullest so we were happy to do anything that we could do to help.

It was lovely to hear that your English guests enjoyed themselves. It is nice to fly the flag for West Cork.

That is funny that you met another couple who were married in Fernhill in Hawaii of all places. It really is a small world!

We wish you both every happiness under the sun and hope to see you again soon at Fernhill.

Fourth generation proprietor,

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

We recently had our wedding reception at the fern hill house and gardens. We had gone to many weddings in county cork and fern hill had always stood out for us the location and most importantly the food!!
From start to finish our day was just perfect.
The o neill family are so helpful, very nice and friendly to chat to and go the extra mile to make the day fabulous. It is easy to know it is a family run hotel as you can see the hard work they put into the hotel to keep it running and looking so well.
With every great family run hotel their is always great staff. Ann is their wedding manager and is a massive asset to the hotel. I can’t began to explain the work she put Into our wedding. My husband is coeliac so getting the food perfect was a big priority! You can get gluten free meals in most hotels but nothing like fern hill. when we asked Ann to include gluten free options on our menu there was no issue at all. This might seem like an normal easy ask these days, but to get a gluten free meal that didn’t taste different to a normal meal,this was something really big for us!
At our tastings a few weeks before the wedding we tasted our meal options and had them all gluten free so we knew what my husband was getting and our other guests who were coeliac. We were over the moon with the food, it was beautiful and even better on the day, we were blown away by the effort the kitchen team and Ann had gone to. So many guests told us how much they loved the meal it was great to hear.
We got married in August and during the year we had two bereavements. On the week of the wedding we lost a close neighbour and between the two funerals you can imagine how our wedding guest numbers changed a lot. I panicked at first but Ann put us at ease and was so helpful at changing our table plans and was really just a lovely person to deal with and was so understanding. I will always remember her kindness.
210 guests including the bridal party and our self’s sat in the dining room that evening very comfortably with lots of room. I must mention the gardens and marquee. It really is fabulous down there, the drinks reception in the marquee is something different to have at a wedding and a talking point with guests.
We had quite a wet miserable wedding day weather wise! But fear not, all the staff rallied around and gave us and the guests umbrellas and drove lots of the guests up and down to the marquee to keep us dry it was something else!
I had planned to have an ice cream stand at the church but with the weather I emailed Ann the morning of the wedding and she had no problem letting us use the marquee for the ice cream stand to be used, even at short notice it was great!
I would highly recommend Fern hill for any wedding. We really appreciated the work Ann, The O Neill family and all the staff put in that day.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

A chara,

Thank you sincerely from all the team here at Fernhill for choosing to have your wedding here and for taking the time to let us know about your 'perfect' wedding.

What a lovey thing to say 'The o neill family are so helpful, very nice and friendly to chat to and go the extra mile to make the day fabulous. It is easy to know it is a family run hotel as you can see the hard work they put into the hotel to keep it running and looking so well'. It truly was our pleasure.

I will pass your nice compliments onto our team. We are lucky to have them.

I am glad that you recognised our food. My father has been a chef since the 60's so we do appreciate how important food is and even more so for a wedding!

We would like to wish you all the very best for your futures together and hopefully we will see you at Fernhill soon again.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

My husband and I stayed here for one night recently, we had a deluxe room, it was
beautiful and the bathroom was fabulous. We had a meal in the bar that was excellent, the staff are really nice and friendly. We got a taxi into DeBarra's, another must when in Clonakilty. We walked home eating a bag of chips, it was a lovely night all round.
When in Clonakilty I would also recommend a visit to the Michael Collins House, history museum. It closes on Mondays. I will definitely go back to Fernhill House Hotel and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe double room with a balcony but the balcony was tiny and you couldn't sit out on it.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple