Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Ellen V

Cocktails & Wings

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 21 Feb 2024
We had great service and food at Harpers this evening. Amazing cocktails and fantastic wings Wednesday. Our server, Holly, did an absolutely fabulous job on what was only her 3rd shift! Thank youuuu so much! We'll be back!!..............
Date of stay: February 2024
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded 25 Feb 2024
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! We're thrilled to hear that you had a fantastic evening at Harpers enjoying our cocktails and wings. Holly is indeed a gem, and we're delighted to hear she made your visit memorable, especially considering it was only her third shift. We'll make sure to pass along your kind words to her. We can't wait to welcome you back for another wonderful dining experience soon! Cheers!
  • Hotels.com
7.7 km from Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton
Bar/Lounge
9.0 km from Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton
Free parking
Ground Floor Deluxe Superking "Byron Room"
8.7 km from Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton
View more hotels in Lower Swanwick
All reviews birthday meal full english excellent breakfast navigator hairdryer southampton swanwick
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 January 2024 via mobile

Took advantage of the 2 nights for £99 in January what a steal! The rooms are great bed so comfy I don't want to get out of it in the morning. Only downside is how thin the walls are and you can hear noise from downstairs too. Not the end of the world but a bit annoying.
Arrived first night and was met by the manager not sure of his name but he was very efficient and polite in getting us all checked in and directed us to our room. Claudia served us for dinner and she was good though you could tell she was nervous on her first full night none the less. Still she did good and was polite and sweet. Tell her to keep going it will get easier :).
2nd night didn't feel like heading down for dinner so was gonna order on the upham inns and have food and drink brought to our room as it said in the arrivals book in our room. However when logging in we found no option to give room number only table number. Slightly confused we rang downstairs and the same gentleman as before answered. I got confused as to which part needed updating the app or book. Neither mattered though as he offered to take the order over the phone and have it all brought up and could pay once it was brought up. Amazing when you've had a busy day out and didn't fancy going downstairs again.
Looking forward to breakfast again in the morning before heading off. The lady that served us before was very sweet also.
We will be back.

Room tip: Parking can get busy at weekends and evenings
Date of stay: January 2024
Reviewed 11 January 2024

The room was lovely, clean and with comfortable bedding. Downside, one smallish towel rail to dry bath sheets for two which is not a lot for a stay of a few nights.
Food. Continental breakfast OK but very limited choice, nothing savoury apart from Marmite, no fruit salad, compote. cold ham, eggs etc
Restaurant meals, hmm, not so good, chunky chips oozed oil to the extent that on pressing one with the back of a fork a small lake appeared, unappetising, unhealthy, unattractive and not really edible.
There's lots about this establishment to like, most of the staff are great (most) and the rooms, though not large, are entitely adequate. Just could be so much better with a bit of flair and more care /interest in the kitchen.

Room tip: Good to sleep but perhaps eat somewhere else
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Rob Goodier, Owner at Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2024

Dear Clive,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your kind words regarding the lovely and clean room, as well as the comfortable bedding. It's delightful to hear that most of our staff contributed positively to your experience.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience you encountered with the amenities provided. Your observations about the limited choice in our continental breakfast and the lack of savory options, fruit salad, compote, and cold ham have been duly noted. We understand the importance of a well-rounded dining experience, and we will certainly review our offerings to provide a more diverse and satisfying selection for our guests.

Moreover, we regret that the quality of our restaurant meals did not meet your expectations. Your detailed feedback about the chunky chips is concerning, and we assure you that we take these matters seriously. Our kitchen team will be addressing the issues you highlighted to ensure a significant improvement in the quality and presentation of our meals.

We truly value your insights, as they help us identify areas for improvement. Rest assured, your comments will be shared with our team to foster a more attentive and creative approach in the kitchen. We are committed to enhancing the overall experience for our guests, and your feedback plays a crucial role in achieving that goal.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for an improved experience.

Warm regards,

Steve Rose

Reviewed 23 December 2023 via mobile

The check in was swift welcoming and well delivered. The room I have is superb, clean, well presented, with tasteful funishings. There is a hospitality tray with has and good choice of beverages, and biscuits which were replenished daily. The enormous bed was very comfortable and I could really spread out. For the money I paid it was excellent value.

There was however a downside - the walls between the rooms are paper thin and it is possible to hear almost every sound from the adjacent occupants who have now. Dince 05.30am, been engaged in a very earnest conversation about their daughters choice of partner, thier mothers chilblains and the price of fish.... the list goes on... its such a shame. I wont say I wouldn't book again because of the noise transmission, but it would make me think twice. Its why I've not gone for the full 5

Room tip: Ask for a room at the rear out of the main bar/restairant area
Trip type: Travelled with family
Stephen Rose, General Manager at Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2023

Dear mail D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. We're thrilled to hear that your check-in experience was swift and welcoming, and that you found your room to be superb, clean, and well-presented with tasteful furnishings. It's always great to know that our guests appreciate the effort we put into providing a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

We're also glad to hear that you found the hospitality tray well-stocked with a good choice of beverages, along with the daily replenishment of biscuits. Creating a welcoming and well-equipped environment for our guests is a priority for us, and we're delighted that we met your expectations in this regard.

However, we genuinely apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with the noise transmission from adjacent rooms. We understand how important a peaceful and quiet stay is for our guests, and we are sorry that this aspect fell short of your expectations. Your feedback regarding the thin walls is valuable to us, and we will certainly look into ways to address and improve this issue to enhance the overall guest experience.

We appreciate your understanding and patience in this matter, and we want to assure you that your comments have been shared with our management team for further review. We take all guest feedback seriously, as it helps us identify areas for improvement and refine our services.

We hope that, despite the noise issue, you'll consider staying with us again. Your satisfaction is our priority, and we would love the opportunity to provide you with an even better experience on your next visit.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best regards,

Steve Rose

Reviewed 21 December 2023

Following an initial stay at Harpers Steakhouse in Southampton, my partner and me were offered a discount. Encouraged by this, we chose to book the same location again.
However, the website posed limitations, allowing only the booking of a room with one breakfast and the applied discount. Upon arrival, I informed the reception that there would be two of us and that we were indifferent to the discount. This led to a prolonged discussion with the receptionist. Eventually, the manager, Steve, agreed to refund the breakfast cost, expressing that I was already receiving a favorable deal and implying that I might be attempting to take advantage of the situation.

The next morning, we discovered that the hot water in our room was not functioning. I promptly reported the issue to the reception, the receptionist herself came into our room, checked and acknowledged the absence of hot water. This led to us being relocated to a different room in another building. This transition was highly inconvenient, necessitating us to pack and unpack our belongings. I requested the receptionist to convey this inconvenience to the manager.

When I attempted to return the keys during check-out, I encountered the manager at the reception, which also served as the breakfast area for all guests. He angrily stood up, accusing me of dishonesty regarding the hot water in the room and threatening to impose an additional cleaning fee due to alleged bloodstains on the sheets. It's important to note that he raised his voice, making these accusations publicly through the restaurant during Saturday morning breakfast at 11 am.

In response, I expressed the need to fetch my partner, who was in the process of loading our luggage into the car. Once my partner joined me in the restaurant, the manager, Steve, continued to shout about bloodstains on the sheets and insisted that we had lied about the water issue. Which I found very intimidating due to his aggressive manner, feeling very threatened by this experience.

My partner pointed out that the receptionist wouldn't have moved us to another room if the water had been warm. I was astonished that the manager went so far as to inspect our sheets.

When I disclosed that I had just started my period and apologised for any accidental bloodstains, Steve dismissively and loudly declared, "This is your problem," called us blaggers and abruptly announced that we were banned from the premises.

Experiencing such hostile behavior, including him shouting about my menstruation in front of other guests and blaming me, was profoundly humiliating. It has taken me until now to articulate this experience, as it is difficult to comprehend how someone could assign blame to a woman for natural cycles in such a hostile manner.

I must emphasize that such antagonistic behaviour, particularly the public discussion of my menstrual cycle, is both unacceptable, deeply shameful and embarrassing. I never expected to be treated in such a manner and find it necessary to bring this matter to your immediate attention.

I believe writing this review is crucial to prevent any other woman or customer from enduring a similarly hostile experience.

After reaching out to Upham Inns management regarding this issue, I didn't perceive any resolution. Several of my emails have been ignored, and they claimed the case was closed. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive an apology for the humiliating behavior exhibited by Harper's Steak House. These are indeed disheartening times.

Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2023

Food and staff all brilliant ..... a special mention to Mel as looked after everything so well. we were made very welcome . Only a slight downside on room maintanance - curtain partly off rail, only four coathangers (more supplied promptly after asking) and unable to get aircon to work. Just a bit of TLC needed

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Stephen Rose, General Manager at Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2023

Dear Linda,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us an excellent review!
We are so glad to hear that you had a good time with us, and thank you for bringing these to our attention. We take every feedback and act accordingly.
Hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,