Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Earn rewards on eligible stays
ZenHotels.com
HK$1,033
No prepayment needed
mail D
Sandy, United Kingdom

Good Quality Product (overall)

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 23 Dec 2023via mobile
The check in was swift welcoming and well delivered. The room I have is superb, clean, well presented, with tasteful funishings. There is a hospitality tray with has and good choice of beverages, and biscuits which were replenished daily. The enormous bed was very comfortable and I could really spread out. For the money I paid it was excellent value.

There was however a downside - the walls between the rooms are paper thin and it is possible to hear almost every sound from the adjacent occupants who have now. Dince 05.30am, been engaged in a very earnest conversation about their daughters choice of partner, thier mothers chilblains and the price of fish.... the list goes on... its such a shame. I wont say I wouldn't book again because of the noise transmission, but it would make me think twice. Its why I've not gone for the full 5
Date of stay: December 2023
Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear out of the main bar/restairant area
Trip type: Travelled with family
Responded 26 Dec 2023
Dear mail D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. We're thrilled to hear that your check-in experience was swift and welcoming, and that you found your room to be superb, clean, and well-presented with tasteful furnishings. It's always great to know that our guests appreciate the effort we put into providing a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

We're also glad to hear that you found the hospitality tray well-stocked with a good choice of beverages, along with the daily replenishment of biscuits. Creating a welcoming and well-equipped environment for our guests is a priority for us, and we're delighted that we met your expectations in this regard.

However, we genuinely apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with the noise transmission from adjacent rooms. We understand how important a peaceful and quiet stay is for our guests, and we are sorry that this aspect fell short of your expectations. Your feedback regarding the thin walls is valuable to us, and we will certainly look into ways to address and improve this issue to enhance the overall guest experience.

We appreciate your understanding and patience in this matter, and we want to assure you that your comments have been shared with our management team for further review. We take all guest feedback seriously, as it helps us identify areas for improvement and refine our services.

We hope that, despite the noise issue, you'll consider staying with us again. Your satisfaction is our priority, and we would love the opportunity to provide you with an even better experience on your next visit.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best regards,

6.6 km from Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton
3.1 km from Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton
Temporarily closed
View more hotels in Lower Swanwick
All reviews birthday meal full english excellent breakfast navigator hairdryer southampton swanwick
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 December 2023

Following an initial stay at Harpers Steakhouse in Southampton, my partner and me were offered a discount. Encouraged by this, we chose to book the same location again.
However, the website posed limitations, allowing only the booking of a room with one breakfast and the applied discount. Upon arrival, I informed the reception that there would be two of us and that we were indifferent to the discount. This led to a prolonged discussion with the receptionist. Eventually, the manager, Steve, agreed to refund the breakfast cost, expressing that I was already receiving a favorable deal and implying that I might be attempting to take advantage of the situation.

The next morning, we discovered that the hot water in our room was not functioning. I promptly reported the issue to the reception, the receptionist herself came into our room, checked and acknowledged the absence of hot water. This led to us being relocated to a different room in another building. This transition was highly inconvenient, necessitating us to pack and unpack our belongings. I requested the receptionist to convey this inconvenience to the manager.

When I attempted to return the keys during check-out, I encountered the manager at the reception, which also served as the breakfast area for all guests. He angrily stood up, accusing me of dishonesty regarding the hot water in the room and threatening to impose an additional cleaning fee due to alleged bloodstains on the sheets. It's important to note that he raised his voice, making these accusations publicly through the restaurant during Saturday morning breakfast at 11 am.

In response, I expressed the need to fetch my partner, who was in the process of loading our luggage into the car. Once my partner joined me in the restaurant, the manager, Steve, continued to shout about bloodstains on the sheets and insisted that we had lied about the water issue. Which I found very intimidating due to his aggressive manner, feeling very threatened by this experience.

My partner pointed out that the receptionist wouldn't have moved us to another room if the water had been warm. I was astonished that the manager went so far as to inspect our sheets.

When I disclosed that I had just started my period and apologised for any accidental bloodstains, Steve dismissively and loudly declared, "This is your problem," called us blaggers and abruptly announced that we were banned from the premises.

Experiencing such hostile behavior, including him shouting about my menstruation in front of other guests and blaming me, was profoundly humiliating. It has taken me until now to articulate this experience, as it is difficult to comprehend how someone could assign blame to a woman for natural cycles in such a hostile manner.

I must emphasize that such antagonistic behaviour, particularly the public discussion of my menstrual cycle, is both unacceptable, deeply shameful and embarrassing. I never expected to be treated in such a manner and find it necessary to bring this matter to your immediate attention.

I believe writing this review is crucial to prevent any other woman or customer from enduring a similarly hostile experience.

After reaching out to Upham Inns management regarding this issue, I didn't perceive any resolution. Several of my emails have been ignored, and they claimed the case was closed. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive an apology for the humiliating behavior exhibited by Harper's Steak House. These are indeed disheartening times.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2023

Food and staff all brilliant ..... a special mention to Mel as looked after everything so well. we were made very welcome . Only a slight downside on room maintanance - curtain partly off rail, only four coathangers (more supplied promptly after asking) and unable to get aircon to work. Just a bit of TLC needed

Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Stephen Rose, General Manager at Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2023

Dear Linda,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us an excellent review!
We are so glad to hear that you had a good time with us, and thank you for bringing these to our attention. We take every feedback and act accordingly.
Hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,
Harper`s team

Reviewed 10 November 2023

I have to say we were very impressed with the whole package. All the staff – without exception, were helpful, polite and attentive. The Manager is very well versed with placing the customer 1st - very impressive. Both the rooms and bar/restaurant area were spotlessly clean; décor & furnishings are of a high quality and there's a great ambiance throughout. The rooms are extremely comfortable, very well appointed and homely. We spent a lovely late afternoon & evening in the bar & restaurant with some lovely food, drinks (probably over indulged) and super atmosphere. We would definitely visit again and would certainly recommend.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Stephen Rose, General Manager at Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2023

Dear Lionel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your delightful experience with us! We are absolutely thrilled to hear that you had a superb one-night break and that the entire package left a positive impression on you.

It warms my heart to know that our team, across the board, made your stay enjoyable with their helpfulness, politeness, and attentiveness. We take pride in placing our customers first.

Maintaining a high standard of cleanliness and providing a welcoming environment is a top priority for us, so we're pleased to hear that you found both the rooms and the bar/restaurant area to be spotlessly clean. Your compliments about the high-quality décor, furnishings, and the overall ambiance reinforce our commitment to creating a comfortable and enjoyable atmosphere for our guests.

We're delighted that you found the rooms extremely comfortable, well-appointed, and homely. Creating a home-away-from-home experience is important to us, and it's fantastic to hear that we achieved this during your stay.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time in our bar and restaurant, and we're glad you enjoyed the food, drinks, and the super atmosphere. Overindulgence is perfectly acceptable when creating special memories! Your intention to visit again and recommend us means the world to us, and we look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable experience.

If there's anything specific you'd like to experience or any preferences you have for your next visit, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thank you once again for choosing us and for sharing your positive feedback.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 November 2023

Last minute booking for accommodation and not disappointed. Great service from the booking in and bar staff. Nice room, comfy bed, the shower a bit small though. Breakfast was excellent and the staff very welcoming. Would definitely recommend. Thank you.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Stephen Rose, General Manager at Charming Bedrooms at Harper's Steakhouse Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2023

Dear Tina,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us! We're delighted that your last-minute stay with us exceeded your expectations. It's wonderful to hear that our team provided excellent service from the booking process to your time at the bar. We're thrilled you found the room comfortable, though we regret any inconvenience caused by the shower size.

Moreover, it's fantastic to know that you enjoyed our delicious breakfast and felt welcomed by our staff. Your recommendation means a lot to us.

We sincerely appreciate your kind words and are grateful for the opportunity to have hosted you. Should your travels bring you back this way, we'd be honored to welcome you again for another great experience.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 10 October 2023

We booked Sat-Tue Harpers @Swannick. The reason for the stay was for my 88 year old dad to visit his family who all live in the surrounding area. We needed two twin rooms, one needed to be on the ground floor. Upon arrival, after some six hours driving we arrived. Unfortunately on trying to check in we were told our booking had been made for 2024 and they were fully booked. However within a short space of time both Beth & Steve had us booked into another hotel. Steve also provided us with drinks whilst we waited. We decided to have dinner there before checking into another hotel. Steve arranged for us to have two ground floor twins for the Monday & Tuesday or the option of staying at the other hotel. We decided to return to Harpers as their customer care was excellent. The food & drink was good, the rooms were lovely and Beth looked After us very well. Thank you to both Beth & Steve for making us feel well looked after. It is the first time dad had seen his family for five years as his wife and our mum has alzheimers. Even the weather was perfect.

Date of stay: October 2023