“End of a long relationship”

The Arts Cafe Truro
Ranked #13 of 30 Quick Bites in Truro
Price range: US$3 - US$28
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The inviting Arts Café sits between the Royal Cornwall Museum and Truro Arts Company, and offers plenty of seating for your morning coffee, lunch meeting, or afternoon tea. Fresh, colourful salads, homemade soup, jacket potatoes, quiches sandwiches and toasted paninis are all made to order.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was always my go to spot when visiting Truro which as a local was every few weeks. Things started to decline pre covid when i stood waiting to be served for 23 minutes as the waitress had a full conversation with her mate who was placing an order.
Another time my mum commented that she always enjoyed their cake but what was offered at this visit was small dried up end piece and she was told they would make sure at her "next visit" they would put it right..... (So much for customer service.)
The final straw came when my husband and i visited mid Saturday recently. Having been seated we were told we could only order via the app......( How on earth older clients are expected to cope is beyond me.) But my husband valiantly perseveered watched by the staff throughout. Finally after 17 torturous minutes , one failed signal, one failed payment we had success and we sat and waited for our food. And waited and waited.
Finally the member of staff who had watched and fully overheard our discussion came to advise us that they had stopped serving food at 330pm. It was 335pm

So having been cognisant of our wishes, having watched our struggle at no point did it occur to them to advise this earlier ?. I got up and walked out and advised the people outside not to bother because this cafe is incapable of either customer care or function beyond 330pm or it appears at any other time in fact.

There are plenty of other food outlets in Truro. Give them your money.
The Arts Cafe doesnt deserve loyal custom and has certainly lost mine.
Disgraceful. Stick to selling paint brushes and clay, you might have better success

3  Thank jax r
Write a reviewReviews (280)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I visited here on Monday 16th August., with a friend. Not been for a very long time. Don't like the idea of ordering on the app and I feel it should stop, but having said that when I said I didn't much care for ordering via app, nice young man said he would bring us menus ideal, not long after another nice young lady came and took our order very pleasant and very kind. Didn't have to wait long either, unfortunately when it arrived it wasn't right we had ordered meat quiche and not vegetarian told the young lady which was a different one from who took the order, took it back and not long back it came again with the the same vegetarian quiche saying this is yours. The lady behind the serving counter what a face really awful she must have been having a bad day and my it really showed not only with her face but her actions. Shame. I'll definitely be going back as food brilliant. Let's hope lady in question is day off. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Before lockdown we regularly visited the cafe - it was excellent. Nice ambiance, the food was delicious and the staff lovely.
We all accept things have changed and I think it’s good distancing is maintained wherever possible but having to use the mobile app on the tables is awful. We ordered our main course on the app but wanted to ask what cakes were available directly from a waiter. We had to ask 3 times if we could order and finally a waitress wandered over and was quite surly with us. She stood there totally uninterested in us and was ‘huffy and puffy’ as she took our order.
Another waitress popped back and forth to check herself in a mirror next to us and we really felt like we were an intrusion to their Saturday social.
So ….. we won’t be going back again. Food was very nice but not much selection on the menu now.

2  Thank Becky F
Reviewed 9 July 2021

We visited Truro in the rain, but parked opposite this lovely looking cafe and thought "Lunch"! We were surprised it was so big inside with an arts and crafts shop too. Wonderful accommodating staff as I have a mobility scooter. The food was absolutely gorgeous so much so we came back after visiting the Cathedral for coffee and cake!!

Date of visit: June 2021
Corinth L, Owner at The Arts Cafe Truro, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2021

Hello Tracy,

We are very happy to hear we made your visit an enjoyable one, even in the rain! Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words - we hope to welcome you back for more cake and coffee sometime soon.

Best wishes,
Morgan

Reviewed 4 July 2021 via mobile

This was my second visit, having met a friend for coffee in December. This time my daughter and I stopped by for an earlyish lunch. Plenty of tables available even on a Saturday lunchtime. We were greeted at the entrance by a member of staff who sorted a table for us -we sat outside, scanned the QR code on our table and ordered on the app - pretty straightforward. A member of staff did check with us that we were ok with the app too. Our drinks and cake were very speedily brought, with a panini taking just a little longer. Carrot cake was moist and full of nuts and fruit too. Daughter had halloumi, avocado and spinach panini which was delicious! Prices about what I’d expect for Truro, perhaps a little more expensive but I’d say worth it.

Date of visit: June 2021

Hi Jan,

We just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review! It really means a lot to our independent Cafe and we are so pleased you enjoyed visiting. The app feedback is so helpful too as it's all so new and anything we can do to make it easy on our customers is ideal.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you and your daughter again soon.

Warm wishes,