“I hope you’re not hungry, have deep pockets, and have lots of patience.”
Review of The Vine Tree

The Vine Tree
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located on the south side of the River Usk, looking toward Crickhowell, the thirteen arched stone bridge and Table Mountain beyond. Built as a coaching Inn, The Vine Tree was established in 1857 and celebrates it’s 160 year anniversary. Here at the Vine Tree, we aim to provide great service, food and drink, using locally sourced fresh produce and showcasing all that is best in Wales. Opening Hours Lunch 12:00pm to 2:30pm Dinner 6:00pm to 9:30pm Weekends 6:00pm to 10:00pm Sunday Lunch 12:00pm to 4:00pm Bar is open all day. Restaurant and Bar closed Monday
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We booked a table for two and arrived on time. We were welcomed at the bar and had a drink before going to our table, and were given the relatively brief menus from which to make our selection. After about 15 minutes we were taken to our table and before we were seated the waiter took our order. However, we were not given a wine list nor asked if we would like anything else. We sat at our table for quite some time and were completely ignored by the waiting staff, despite trying to catch their eyes on a number of occasions. Eventually my wife went to the bar to ask for some tap water and a wine list, and after struggling to catch someone’s eye again we ordered our wine. 10 minutes later our meals arrived, but no wine. My wife again had to go to the bar to remind the staff about the drinks. Normally this wouldn’t have been too much of a problem, but my lamb rump was such a small meal that i was in danger of finishing on my 5th mouthful and i rather wanted a sip of wine before i had finished. Amazingly the waiting staff noticed we had finished and cleared our plates and offered the dessert menu. We ordered 5 minutes later (the restaurant was now mostly empty so the waiting staff were less busy). A couple of minutes passed and we were informed that one of the chosen desserts was no longer available. My lemon tart arrived and to be brutally honest it could have come straight off a supermarket shelf. It wasnt bad, but nothing to write home about. We decided not to wait for the bill and went downstairs to pay, and found the waiting staff sitting around joking, obviously not looking after the customers. Luckily they hadn't added a service charge to the bill as it wouldn't have been paid. We gave them some direct feedback about the service and left. We won’t be going back in a hurry.

4  Thank Andy Y

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Quite shocked at how down hill this restaurant has gone. A party of us came in for a meal, and I can quite honestly say that none of us will be back anytime soon. I ordered calamari to start, and how for £8.00 you’d think the chefs would give you more than 4 rings, my dad had a steak and for a dish that’s nearly £30 it would have been nice if he could have actually eaten it. Someone else ordered the belly pork which which was 3/4 of just pure fat, barely any meat on it at all. We would have complained there and then had someone even come and asked us how our meals were, bit of course like many review say, service is poor here. In all, the place is far too overpriced for what you get and serice is something to be desired. Very disappointing and we won’t be returning.

7  Thank mallie152018
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived a little early and were offered a drink at the bar. These were then taken through to our table by the open kitchen where we could see the chefs creating works of art on a plate.

The waiting staff were mainly young as some have commented on, but they were a delight; attentive, personable and nothing too much trouble.
We had steak and lamb on a saturday night which were both excellent, followed by exquisite chocolate brownie and ice cream.
We were so impressed we booked for the folliwing night and had an equally superb meal, even though they were short staffed (we learned as we left) this had not been apparent as we had a superb meal.
I highly recommend the Vine Tree - prices have been said to be high, but not compared to similarly high standard establishments.
It seems they have mastered the knack of selecting and training young people to be excellent waiting staff and this, with the high standard of cuisine makes for a delightful dining experience.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had lunch last Sunday and it was very disappointing ...Obviously very busy and the staff just seemed tired and really not loving their jobs..The young chef was a cheerful polite chap when we had a chat by the bar however i will probably get the usual generated email that all the previous bad reviews have received just to show they care ..blah blah ..
A friend of mine recommended the place hence why we tried it however i have since told him of our experience and he too has had a bad meal since he recommended it to me and has'nt seen me to tell me ,

2  Thank GEMINIMAN60
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My second time to this wonderful place, my wife and I went today to try the Sunday lunch and it was superb. I had the local welsh roast beef and my wife had the roast pork...Absolutely outstanding! The evening menu is even better with the freshest food I have tasted in the area by far. The serves is 10 out of 10 the staff are very friendly and the chiefs are a credit to this gem of a restaurant. Free parking just opposite with some seating outside. I could go on and on how good this place is and it dose total justice to the fine Welsh produce can't wait to go back.