All reviews golf course jacuzzi bath bridal suite on arrival walk in shower evening meal wedding venue beautiful hotel booked this hotel one night stay standard room family room steak no lift wedding breakfast brecon beacons full welsh breakfast
Reviewed 5 September 2018

This is the fourth time I've stayed here. My dogs and I are always made welcome. The grounds and the easy access to the scenic canal on the hillside are great for walking after a long journey and in the early mornings. The evening meal is always excellent as is the breakfast, and the accommodation is scrupulously clean and comfortable. What makes it is the unfailing attentiveness of the staff who are always ready to help. I'll be back again next year!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

What a shame. High hopes for this lovely looking hotel with stunning views but we were left sadly disappointed by our stay.
We had a room at the top of the building and it has been ridiculously hot this summer so we expected the room to be warm but we also expected the hotel to have managed it with fans etc. The room was boiling on arrival and had a very old fan in it that if you put higher than the low setting clicked and made a noise not conducive to sleeping. The room it self should be lovely but looks a little tired and has some dodgy looking light fittings and just looks a little unloved. The bathroom looks lovely and the raised jacuzzi bath has fabulous views from the strategically placed window. We did not sleep a great deal as it was very hot.
I explained to hotel reception that the room was ludicrously hot and could they please do something re fans up there. I acknowledged that it was a summer unlike any we had seen in Wales for sometime but as a guest would like the room to be bearable to sleep. After going out dor a run I wanted to have a soak in the bath and admire the views. I ran the bath and then pressed the button for bubbles and was horrified to see all dirt and debris come out of the jets. Not lovely. Shower there too luckily so that had to do instead
On our way out i informed reception who said they would send someone to clean it.
We went out to a family wedding.
On our return late that night I again thought a bath was in order after a sticky day. Again i ran the bath and again put the jets on to find all sorts of dirt and gunk coming out. Also there was only 1 fan in the room slightly better than the previous fan but certainly not man enough for an attic room during the hottest summer for decades.
The next morning I spoke to reception and said how disappointed we were with the room and that the bath was still not clean. No apology just ‘it is hard to clean thise jets’. Really?! I explained I was not happy to pay for the superior room but would pay for a standard room only as we had definitely not had a superior stay. She said she would have to clarify with the manager which I said of course she would and I would welcome speaking to the manager.
After breakfast she told me that the manager had accepted my offer of a reduced rate - still more than I would want to pay for a very ordinary room. But had not arrived to discuss it with me.
Breakfast was nothing special.
All in all I would not recommend this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank sharon w
Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed here, the hotel was dead quiet which we thought was strange for august especially. Room was no where near what it should of been for the price, the bed was well used massive dip in the middle, not dusted/cleaned well atall, had to unplug the tv to boil the kettle as not enough plugs. Food was okay, although it took an hour to get 2 courses, clear that the chef was only interested in the football on tv. Waitress disappeared to have a catchup with her friend somewhere leaving the barman having to do everything. The barman was lovely, polite and helpful the only pleasure of this experience. We left the next day as we weren't wasting anymore money. Not even an apology from the manager upon us telling him our reasons for leaving.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Luke H
Reviewed 7 August 2018

My girlfriend and had a one night stay at the Old Rectory to celebrate our engagement. We had spent the day hiking in Brecon and it was the perfect spot to relax after a long day. The hotel is lovely - a really nice country feel and in a cute little village. Our room was huge, with a luxrious four poster bed, a massive bathroom with a big shower and a jacuzzi bath. Staff were all friendly and helpful. Would have given the stay 5 stars, but the room was a little let down by the icky limescale that came out of the bath jets. Spoiled a well deserved bath after a very long walk.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

My husband, 5 month old baby and I stayed here from the Saturday 28th July until Monday 30th July for our 2nd wedding anniversary.

I booked online but rang the hotel before booking to check that the hotel was baby friendly and that the room would be pram accessible and a few other questions.

We were given room 18 which has a door within the room connecting to room 19, unfortunately this means that you can hear everything that next door are saying (even quietly) and listen to what they are watching on tv.

On our first night the fire alarm went off twice (both times were the same room smoking), the second time was at about 9pm and we had just got the baby to sleep. It took ages to get her back to sleep again. It was annoying and the hotel should have been more stern with the room I the first time.

The towel system is that you arrive at your room with towels folded on your bed, I put the towels on the towel rail in the bathroom because I don’t want to sleep with towels and there is a sign in the bathroom that says if you want your towels washed to leave them in the basket on the floor. I also put the baby’s towel on the towel rail with our clean towels.

When we came back to our room after a day out our towels were folded on our bed again (??) and our baby’s towel was gone. The towels had been left on the towel rail and weren’t in the basket on the floor to be washed so didn’t need to be touched. The baby towel is softer with a hood and had been washed in baby fabric cleaner for her skin. I went up to reception and was told that the towels got sent away to be washed but if it was here it would be in this cupboard, she opened the cupboard and showed me a big container of all the rooms dirty towels. I wasn’t about to go digging in there to find it and she didn’t look like she was either so it was just left like that.

That night there was a wedding!!!! The marquee was practically outside our window and (as weddings are) was very loud. The hotel didn’t announce beforehand when I had rang them that there would be a wedding whilst we were there or I would have chosen a different hotel! We were not told when we booked in either. The wedding ended at around midnight, the guests were still making noise outside our room til 1am. Some of the guests then returned to the room that joined ours, they were 4 lads that had been drinking at the wedding and were of course very noisy, I knocked on their door at around 2am and asked them to keep it down, which they did for a while but then the noise level gradually got louder again. My husband knocked on their door at around 4:30am and asked them to keep it down again. My family did not sleep until about 5am, I didn’t sleep at all.

I went to breakfast at 7:30, as breakfast starts at 7 on weekdays only to be told it’s starting at 8 because of the wedding, I asked why the guests hadn’t been informed and was told “well there’s a giant sign at reception”
I have included a picture of the giant sign, it is an a4 piece of paper on the desk. It wasn’t there when we checked in on the Saturday, we were told by the concierge that breakfast started at 7 on weekdays when we checked in and I’m not in the habit of checking the reception desk for signs. The way it was said was unapologetic and made me feel like it was my fault I couldn’t eat breakfast.

We had to cancel all of our Monday plans and drive home as we were too tired.

I chose this hotel because it advertises itself as a quiet relaxing place to stay! I would have had more rest and relaxation staying at home and I am really disappointed.

By the way WiFi doesn’t work and tv turns itself off.

Trip type: Travelled with family