“Beautiful old pub”

Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in East Meon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Would like to have stopped for a meal as the food looked delicious but had already booked in a neighbouring pub. Lovely old pub and garden with great beer

Reviewed 30 May 2018

We chose the Olde George on the basis of its location, 5 minutes from our hotel, and the reviews, which were generally encouraging.
The food was indeed good, and the service friendly. The boys were both satisfied with their burgers, although slightly over-done. I took the gnocchi, which is always something of a lottery, but it was very good. My wife had the wild mushroom tart as a main course, and enjoyed it greatly. I found the fries to be somewhat bland, but all the others liked them so I was firmly placed in the minority.
Only one of us took some ice cream for pudding, which at £5 for two scoops was not inexpensive, but it was very good.
Overall, the prices are on the high side for pub food, particularly outside of London: £14 for a burger is too much.
That said, I would more happily pay over the odds for freshly prepared, tasty food, than eat poorly and pay an average rate.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Visited here following Trip Advisor reviews and was definitely a nice change from the Beefeater where we were staying.

The George is set in the most beautiful little village; well worth a stroll after eating. The pub is 15th century, with lots of period details although the carpet and chairs could do with not being from 15 years ago!

I liked the touches of free bread (small helping) and tap water brought to the table, good for the price being charged which wasn't extortionate.

My veggie risotto was very good and hubby raved about the peas accompanying his lamb. Sadly that's where his praise stopped as the lamb was less noteworthy. As for desert, I learned that I don't like rose water - tastes like old ladies' toilets in my opinion.

So, mixed reviews on the food, but I'd still go back for the location alone.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

I took my son to The George in East Meon for lunch on Bank Holiday Monday. We both ordered off the bar menu. We didn't wait long for our food, but unfortunately my son's order was incorrect. He doesn't like to make a fuss and said he would have it anyway. The girl was very apologetic and then the manager/owner (?) came out and said it was her fault for pressing the wrong order on the screen - she also apologised and said she would not charge for the meal! If only more places were like this. I was astonished at how well they dealt with the situation! And...by the way, the food was lovely too!!

Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

We were looking for a good pub near Petersfield for lunch and we were running late.
We stumbled upon The Olde George at about two o’clock and hoped that they would serve us.
The staff welcomed us and dog and could not have been more helpful. Lovely pub, really nice food at
a very fair price . We will make sure to come again whenever we are in that area. Well done.