Lowest prices for your stay
FindHotel
eDreams
US$104
View deal
Free cancellation until 18/08/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
Agoda.com
Etrip
Snaptravel
All reviews quiet location rhine valley rooms are spacious air conditioning accommodation wines
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 August 2019 via mobile

We absolutely loved this hotel. It’s in a very quite location, about 10 min taxi ride away from Boppard (approx €15 each way). The rooms were very nice and the dining area and outside garden area were lovely. It had free parking. The breakfast was excellent, the boiled eggs were perfect. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 December 2018

This bed and breakfast/ hotel establishment is clean and has plenty of parking. It is situated in a small modern housing development quite a long way from the town of Boppard and the river, within the greater municipality of Boppard. There are no common areas and, as far as we could see, the restaurant attached to the hotel is not available for guests during the day. The hotel is marketed abroad including through booking.com but it is a more appropriate choice for those who speak German, as the hotel information (in the room) and the menus are not available in other languages, including English. As other reviews have noted, the restaurant is geared towards catering for people who live in the direct vicinity, not really for tourists.

We went there to celebrate three big anniversaries that came all together in a few days. We have always had good experiences traveling in Germany and were looking forward to the stay. I called in advance after making the online reservation and things seemed to look good so I booked an extra night on the phone. The person answering the phone, who I later discovered was the son of the family who owned the hotel, was chatty and helpful on the phone.The hotel restaurant was one reason we made this booking, so we wouldn't have to drive and could quietly celebrate our anniversaries.

To cut a long story short, on the first of these special occasions, a big wedding anniversary, we went to the restaurant to first find that although we'd asked for a nice table weeks in advance when we made the booking, we were squashed up at the back, as far away from the windows as it was possible to be, in a small two seater, next to where the food came in and out of the kitchen. On its own not a big deal. The restaurant was jam-packed with only two staff serving (one the son) so when getting served, the staff did not have the time to translate the menu, which was only in German. We went then for steaks as safe and we thought trouble free, as the menu specified the different ways in which the different steaks would be cooked and so seemed like it would be straightforward. We ordered two different steaks, cooked 2 different ways, with different accompaniments. The steaks came back cooked the wrong way, with the accompaniments served with the wrong steaks, so clearly a mix up in a busy kitchen.

Our two meals were not served together but served one by one. The person serving the first steak rushed away after putting the plate and accompaniment down on the table and there was no staff in the restaurant to ask to do anything once we noticed the mistake in the order. [My partner went looking for a staff member eventually as there was no-one about and was told when he got to the kitchen 'this is not McDonalds' and told to go back to the table.] When the second one came, also wrongly cooked, the first one had been taken back, and so we had to find the staff again. All this would have been not too much of a big deal either actually, even though everything was now seeming a bit rude and rushed, as we know mistakes happen and they were clearly under-staffed.

So we were still quite relaxed about all this, except for then the cook (I now know to be the father) suddenly appeared behind my partners's chair, standing over him (a tall and large guy),holding a plate with a steak on it, red-faced, shouting and screaming that 'this steak is pink, there's nothing wrong with it' at the top of his voice. I was facing this man and my partner couldn't see the man's face - and this man was out of control. The German people next to us, also guests in the hotel, were incredibly uncomfortable and started talking to me to try to divert attention from what this man was doing. I was scared this man was losing it and didn't know what he might do next but thought if I said anything to contradict him, it might tip him really over the edge - so said to him, don't worry, we'll eat it, don't worry. New (I think) steaks were eventually brought (after the son had ushered his father back to the kitchen) but, and here's the real kicker, with the two new steaks, the son plonked on the table a plate of cut up meat, like dog food. Turns out it was the steak they had cooked wrongly, that had been sent back, but which they decided to put back on the table, in that form. It was a totally mad and abhorrent thing to do and of course we left it, but we couldn't say anything because we didn't know what might happen next.

For the next few days we were there we tried to stay out of the place as much as we could, and I cancelled the extra night I had booked.

We received no apologies. I wrote to the son afterwards asking how he would feel if his parents had been treated like that, if they were on holiday abroad. He simply wrote back to me saying that this was his parent (which I didn't know) but seemed to find all this behaviour normal. He said we were treated well because he didn't charge us a cancellation fee for the last night.

I am still upset about what happened. Needless to stay it spoilt the whole of the time we were in Germany.

Room tip: ask for a room facing the vaalley
Date of stay: May 2018
3  Thank H S
Eiserner-Ritter, Inhaber at Landgasthof Eiserner Ritter, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2018

Dear Mrs. S.
thank you very much for your warm words and wasting your, ours and everyone else time to read this. I like the way how you write about my father. The red face was not because he was in a rage, but because he came from a hot kitchen during the service in a hot may.

I already wrote you in the e-mail from may 2018 what I thought about what happened or our view to this story. Imagine all guests would walk in the restaurant-kitchen just to order their meal or to see where the waiter is. That is nowhere possible, even at Mc Donalds......but you did so.

The Steak which was cooked wrong in your opinion, wasn´t cooked wrong. That was the only reason my father came out and presented the sliced Ribeye-Steak again. Strangely enough, your husband was also insightful and wanted to pay for the cost. Notwithstanding we cooked your husband a new Ribeye and additionally served you the first steak, so you could decide by your own to eat it or to leaf it. Remember, there was nothing wrong with the first steak and we didn´t want to throw it away. Maybe you know that a lot of people all over the world have nothing to eat.

Before your stay we phoned about three times. I helped you to make your "scary" stay more comfortable and saved you some money and time with giving you advises how to book some attractions in our area. I called the shipping company for making sure that you can change the boat and the train station for your tickets.
In Germany there is a saying: Wie man in den Wald hineinruft, so schalt es hinaus. Which means “What goes around, comes around.” Maybe you remember this on your next vacation.

I wish you all the best for the future, a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Lovely greatings from the "scary" an unhelpful Hotel Eiserner Ritter
Stefan

Reviewed 20 September 2018

The first impression is always the staff in reception and Christine was very helpful even with our luggage. She and other staff were consistently friendly. Our room had a balcony which I enjoyed for a few minutes relaxation before dinner. There was a walk-in shower which was such a relief for my husband who has limited mobility and many showers in our German hotels were hard for him to manage. We have a "rule" to never eat at the same restaurant twice when we are traveling. After dinner there our first night, we immediately booked for the next night. The food was superb! We chose the hotel mostly because I couldn't fin anything quite right down nearer the Rhine and reviews were good. Now, I wouldn't go anywhere else!

Room tip: Ask for a balcony or whatever you especially need and I am sure they will do their best to fulfill your needs if at all possible.
Date of stay: September 2018
Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

Although we didn't eat in the hotel ( wish we did) this superb family run hotel located in a little village above the Rhine surpassed all our expectations. Cosy but spacious bedroom. Fantastic breakfast. Outdoor terrace with nice! wine. The friendliest staff you could wish for. So pleased we decided to stay here.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2018

When travelling in Germany, one experience that everyone should have is a stay at a small family-operated hotel, often known as a “Gasthaus”. One such stay we recently had was at the Landgasthof Eiserner Ritter in Boppard, a small town just south of Koblenz. In every way the Mayer family and staff made it a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

The hotel is located in a quiet neighbourhood setting and this made for a great night’s sleep. Adding to that enjoyment was the fact that all of the bedrooms and bathrooms in the hotel have been recently renovated to a smart and colourful standard and the new beds are excellent too.

Also, newly renovated is the hotel’s dining room. When it comes to an evening dinner, it’s either eat in the hotel or get into your car and travel elsewhere. The latter is not recommended at all. The hotel dining room is welcoming and chic, and the friendly and accommodating staff serve up very nice cuisine with a local touch and offer a selection of good German wines as well.

Nothing ever seemed to be too much trouble for the owner and his staff. We had just taken delivery of a brand-new car and the owner insisted we park it in a spot normally reserved for his vehicle. Talk about thoughtful!

Shortly after we had checked in, we took a stroll to the end of the neighbourhood and through one or two farmers’ fields. To our surprise we ended up with a glorious view over the Rhine River. What a bonus!

The following morning, we were served a breakfast that was simply terrific. Lots of homemade breads, eggs, fruit, cheese – the lot!

Our only regret about staying here is that we had only planned for one night. If ever we pass this way again the Eiserner Ritter will be where we’ll stay.

Date of stay: April 2018