1,425 results
All reviews sea view across the road large swimming pool waiter service high ceilings wide corridors pool bar evening meal plenty of sunbeds old world charm salad buffet garden area half board a wonderful holiday reception staff this lovely hotel deck chairs
Reviewed 14 October 2018

My husband and I have recently returned from a 2-week holiday staying in this lovely hotel. It is "grand" and elegant - the high ceilings and beautiful decor make for a lovely experience. Our room was on the first floor and although overlooked a roof and did not have a balcony, it was so lovely and quiet so we were able to sleep with our large window/doors open. Our room was spacious and of course had a high ceiling. The bathroom was a really good size with a good shower and the lady who cleaned our room was excellent and kept us well stocked with toiletries which I have to say were really good. We were also given pool/beach towels and slippers. Nice touch. The restaurant was again so elegant and the seating well arranged. The food was well presented and such a good choice - quite simply delicious - well done to the chefs. A lovely touch too was in the area outside the main bar, before dinner, a small buffet of lovely nibbles was provided, again so tempting and delicious but it was so lovely sitting outside having a pre dinner drink and some tasty snacks. The pool area was lovely, again well maintained with a bar where you could sit and have a lunch or just a drink. The garden area was again well maintained and a lovely place to just sit, relax and read a book. Entertainment is limited at the hotel - we did have some lovely piano playing - I think a bit more entertainment would have been nice but appreciate the bar area is not that big. As for the staff at this hotel, well what can I say. All the staff we had contact with were absolutely lovely! Hard working, efficient and very friendly. To sum up, we could not fault this hotel, we had a lovely holiday so well done to everyone at the hotel who made this holiday so special.
Turning now to what you can do when staying at this lovely hotel, well we went by local bus to Pisa - the wall is now open for walking, its about 3 km in total but well worth it, you get lovely views of the Tower. The bus stop is outside the front of the building and get your bus tickets either at the bus station or almost opposite the hotel at the tobacconist.
We also went to Pietrasanta - again by bus, This bus stop is also outside the front of the hotel. Love this little town. Lucca, again by bus, this time the bus stop is at the rear of the hotel. By train we did Montecatini - get off at Montecatini Centrale. Again a beautiful place to visit and do go on Funicular Alto - tremendous views from her. Also by train we did Livorno - quite a long walk from Livorno station to the main area though - parts of Livorno are known as little Venice. The train station at Viareggio is about 20 minutes walk from the hotel, walk along to the clock and straight down the road opposite. This will bring you directly to the station. The staff at the station were very helpful. All of these places are well worth visiting and so easy to do. In Viareggio - a walk to the harbour area or the opposite direction, Camaiore - both lovely walks along the promenade. We also visited Villa Argentina, free entry and well worth a visit to see the exhibition and the beautiful ballroom. As you can see, lots to do in the area.

We also did a trip to Portofino with our group which we paid for - definitely worth doing, it is a beautiful place.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank JustBet
Marino P, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Dear Guest.
What a lovely review! Our aim is to please our clients and we would like to thank you for your feedback. When we receive comments such as these, we understand that we are going in the right direction. Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hotel Royal.

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

I love this place! Right across from beach, beautiful lobby, staircase, pool. Old world elegance. I booked from the train on my way from Florence for a one night getaway. Easy check in, and really way beyond my expectations. I will be back!

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank jmacSfBayArea
Marino P, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2018

Dear Guest,
I appreciate your kind feedback and was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Thank you.
Best Regards

Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

My friend and I had a lovely stay at this hotel recently. The staff are so helpful and friendly and the hotel is impeccably clean, beautiful pool area, lovely dining room catering for all dietary needs providing a good selection of GF alternatives.I was particularly impressed that they remembered my dietry requirements the following day. It is in a beautiful location on the seafront with its own beach. Definitely on my return list.
OK

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank kathleen0k

Dear Guest,
It is always delightful to read that a guest intends to give us their seal of approval by wanting to stay again. Thank you, it is much appreciated and I hope that you will do just that.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

This was a last minute break and so hotel was booked on availability with not much research.
We were very pleasantly surprised. It is a nice old fashioned hotel with old world charm and a lot of older holidaymakers of I would say in the main were British.
For us the outstanding and best bit of this hotel is the staff who were very attentive, helpful and polite and could not do enough for you.
We were half board, and the expectation was that you book your evening dinner in the morning. Not a problem for us, and we were told no problem if you prefer to wait for the evening. On the food front I would say it ranged from good to excellent. Our usual holiday is to go out to different restauarants each evening, but this made a pleasant change. On th plus side, dinner is served between 7.30pm and 9.30pm, you have a table for the whole evening, and so for us if we went for an aperitif in one of the many bars along the front, there was no time pressure to get back for dinner. The other plus I think is that given this time of year, the front became quite autumnal and not very busy in the evenings, so you could possibly say there would be more atmosphere within the hotel. On a few of the evenings there is a pianist which was nice.
The bar in the hotel was very cosy and serving great cocktails or coffees etc
The location of the hotel is very well served by local public transport for days out to Cinque Terre, Lucca amongst some of the local places to visit.
The hotel is sandwiched between 2 busy roads and so this might bother some. Given the time of year, we had the windows shut at night so was not a problem for us. There was air conditioning in the room but we did not use it so I cannot comment on that.
The outdoor pool is quite large and substantial; very nice I would say and there is an outside bar. Again there is quite a bit of noise from traffic as it is at the back of the hotel and behind the bushes at the back is the busy road.
I would say that this hotel is excellent value for money and I would return.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Marino P, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Dear Guest,
It is very satisfying to read such a positive review from a guest and yes, we hope you will return up! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Grand and Royal

Reviewed 3 October 2018

Stayed for 10 nights on half board basis. Room cleaned well and had a full sea view with no balcony. Air conditioning noisy so had it turned off and slept with open window - although had to put up with traffic noise on the busy road next to the promenade. On the 5th floor so had good views. Complained about the poor shower twice....it kept going from very hot to very cold every time we showered. Nothing was dne about it so we just put up with it. The people in the next room had the same problem.
Food at dinner was very good - all courses waiter served apart from the buffet salad. Breakfast was poor . . .fatty bacon and not cooked. Eggs could be ordered any way you wanted them if you didn`t want the scrambled eggs on offer. Every morning there was the same boring breakfast buffet....cheese, ham and a selection of fruit salad.
Pool was ok with plenty of sunbeds, but half of it was in the shade in the afternoon. The peaceful atmosphere was sometimes spoilt by a few noisy guests/children jumping and splashing about. Probably why we normally go to an adults only hotel.
The hotel occupies a good position on the promenade and has a lot of character but lacks that extra bit of "luxury" to tempt us to return.
Staff are all polite and professional. Reception staff very helpful regarding trips, transport etc.

Date of stay: September 2018

Dear Sir/Madam,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Grand Hotel Royal.
All clients’ comments, either positive or negative, are important to improve the quality of our hotel.
We are strongly customer orientated. We do not only take into consideration the quality but also the professionalism of the staff and the helpfulness towards the guest.
Hope to see you again at The Grand Hotel Royal in the future and please apologies for any inconvenient
Best Regards