All reviewssteep hillpool and saunapool tableswimming capski busheart attack hillswim hatminute walkhotel is locatedtown centrefamily skiing holidaytwo sonsshort cutbar arearooms are basicchair liftbreakfast was buffet style
Reviewed 29 January 2017

We stayed through Crystal Ski in a large group (14-32) and though they struggled sometimes they did their best.
The food was adequate, but nothing special, which can be a bind when you've got to choose your menu the evening before. Often the group forgot what they had ordered causing confusion. But, overall the staff muddled through ok.
The rooms were comfortable enough, clean, but not a lot of extra facilities like coffee in the room. The TV wasn't up to much either. The shower bath room was good enough, but a bit cramped.
Overall it is a 3 star hotel and they managed to provide a reasonable base when our priority is skiing. The walk up to the hotel can be somewhat exhausting, often called "Cardiac Hill" which is not far off the truth. The slopes were a short walk through a private road and you are on the piste to a main lift to the top.
If I stayed at Sauze D'oulx again I would find a hotel at the bottom of the hill giving less tiring access to the town

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Splendidsauze, Proprietario at Hotel Splendid, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2017

We love large group and we hope to see you all again!
Fabiana

Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

I booked at the Hotel Splendid through Crystal Ski for a weeks stay for me and my partner.

After climbing 'cardiac hill' - the transfer from the airport didn't take us to the hotel, we had to walk up through town (approx 1 mile).

From the outside, the hotel looked warm and inviting, there was a bar visible, communal seating area with a pool table and football table.

On entry, we were greeted by the receptionist who took down a few details and retained our passports as per legislative requirements in Italy.

Our room was basic warm and clean, and the bathroom was great. A little dusty in places but this we could live with. Sleeping was a little difficult, as the walls seemed to be made from tracing paper and the beds seemed like they were made of concrete slabs.

The facilities, were on a whole fantastic with access to a swimming pool and sauna. The bar was ideal as it stopped us climbing back down what could have been the worlds steepest hill down to the town centre if we wanted an evening drink.

Now, the food. Take it from me, don't stop here for the food. Someone here made reference to cat-food. The breakfast is okay but the evening meals are bad beyond belief.

So would I sleep here again? If I had to.

Would I eat here again? Not even if my life depended on it.

Perhaps the food and beds are better at Her Majesty's Pleasure? I'll leave you to make your own minds up.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Splendidsauze, Proprietario at Hotel Splendid, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2017

Thank you for writing about us. Thanks for saying you loved the new outside of the hotel, the confy living rooms, the bar, the staff, and the lovely bathroom. Room are basic and clean, but with lots of wood as i think you would expect in a mountain resort. We are glad you loved also the fantastic access to the free swimming pool and new big sauna, all for free.
I apologize you didn't like our food, but if i had any complain during the week you were here trust me, i would have done my best to make you happy. I care so much about my guest but with no complains i camnot immagine something is not tasting for you...
so only 2 star even if you'd like everything else... very strict but i will keep it in my mind...
I hope you will change your mind and come back to splendid to show you that we do try to improve our service every year.
All the best fabiana

Reviewed 16 January 2017

Got a 5 night stay after New Year on a reduced late deal. The "Hill" - actually turned out to be a plus as we could cut across to the slope and ski down to the Clotes chair lift rather than have to walk down/back on the road in boots with skies. Food - great and plentiful after a day skiing. Room was clean, comfy; my only slight issue (we were in 104) was that we couldn't regulate the radiator in any way, not even to turn it off but we rigged a system to keep the window slightly open during the night which worked fine. The 2x teenagers in our party loved to socialise around the pool table and football table. The swimming pool and sauna were a bonus too. I'd go back certainly.

Room Tip: 1st floor has limited view as not above the tree line
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

It has been great to have you here in splendid and we hope to see you soon again
Best regards fabiana

Reviewed 16 January 2017

I stayed at hotel splendid for a 5 night break with my friend at the beginning of January as part of a crystal Ski package. The crystal staff and hotel staff were very friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. Our room was warm and comfortable although lacked storage resulting in us living out of our suitcase. It did worry me that they encouraged you to leave your key at the hotel during the day when you were out, the key stand being accessible to anyone within the hotel/bar vicinity, there is a safe in the room but at an extra cost. When we arrived at the airport we were met by crystal staff who showed us to our coach, from the coach we were dropped at the bottom of the hill, we left our luggage and it was escorted to our holiday, our crystal rep then walked us to our hotel/ski hire venues. What I would say is that the luggage was just left outside the hotel and as we went to get our ski hire prior to checking in at the hotel our luggage therefore was sitting outside the hotel for a number of hours, probably not the safest.

The swimming pool is only open 4.30 until 7ish? Although it was great after a days skiing it is small and busy with screaming children throwing inflatable balls.Sauna was nice and relatively spacious. Hotel has a strict swim cap policy, caps can be purchased at a 3 euro charge.

Hotel is located up a hill, meaning you can ski down to one of the ski lifts, the walk back from pubs etc can be strenuous but didn't worry us too much. The hotel is located near shops and pubs. Great location for Apres Ski.

The hotel food was really good and the staff were great, we did find that you need to allow over an hour in total for service (felt like it took a long time). Dinner choices have to be ordered the day before and water is chargeable. Plenty of choice and portion sizes were big.

Wifi in room was dodgy and often did not work. Walls were thin and could hear guests in surrounding room which meant I didn't always get a good nights sleep.

All in all, a great holiday, would definitely return!!

Room Tip: Probably ask for a end room
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ruth G

The safe is free in the room , we only ask for deposit to have the key. The swimming pool is open from 4,30pm to 7,30 pm (dinner time).
We usually take all the laugagge that crystal deops in front of the bar door, on our terrace, inside, if they were not inside means they just got there and we didn't even have the time to bring them inn.
Sorry next time we'll try to be quicklier even if sauze if the safer place in the world.
After all we are delighted you are thinking to come back and i'll see you soon! I wish you all the best
Best regards fabiana

Reviewed 11 January 2017

We have just returned from a brief ski holiday in Sauze and Hotel Splendid was just perfect for us. The walk from Sauze, is a good work out and practise for the ski legs and there is a good bus route (orange line) if needed to the piste. There is also a cut accross - approximately 5 minutes. I was travelling alone with 5 kids and all their needs were taken care of - there were plenty of games, pool table, football table, swimming pool, gym, sauna, bar & ski storage under the hotel- friendly and helpful staff. The food was also just right for us. Plenty of choice and the children very much enjoyed their four courses every evening. The rooms were comfortable, warm - good shower. Thank you Hotel Splendid for looking after us.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Juliet F

You are welcome anytime, you and your great kids!!! Thanks for writing about us, we will help you agian as much as we can trying to make your holiday the best for you and your children
I wish you all the best