All reviews steep hill pool and sauna pool table swimming cap ski bus minute walk restaurant food is heart attack hill swim hat short cut bar area hotel is located town centre drink prices family skiing holiday chair lift rooms are basic
Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

Just got home from a weeks stay at the splendid. The room was spacious enough and the food great to. Pool table, swimming pool, sauna, bar which were a great touch. Everyone seems to moan about the hill on the reviews and yes it's steep at first but after walking up it a few times it's fine, it's a activity holiday after all, you can also walk across the road and ski down to the clotes lift and ski back to. The staff that run the hotel are very friendly and make the expensive enjoyable and have all information to hand. One gripe is you can't have tap water so you have to buy it, tad annoying but seems a common theme in Sauze if not Italy so can't complain to much I guess. Overall a fab stay and would stay again when returning to Sauze. I would say the location is excellent, almost ski in/out and plenty of bars for apres just down the hill. Thanks for
making our New Years trip one to remember! Only home a few hours and missing it already!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank neilfrancis21
Splendidsauze, Proprietario at Hotel Splendid, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2017

It has bee freat to have you here in splendid and we hope to see you soon again
Best regards fabiana

Reviewed 1 January 2017

This is a 3 star hotel so you do not expect nice toiletries or Kleenex in the bathroom, nor CNN or BBC on the TV (very bad reception in any event), and the jam at breakfast of a dismal quality. But a good choice at breakfast , with eggs, yoghurt, fruit etc., albeit served in a space without charm, as is dinner.
When staying on a B&B basis, if you ask the day before, you can have dinner there (4 courses). As is so often the case in Italian restaurants, they refuse to give you jugs of tap water and insist you buy it by the bottle, which with a bunch of kids, dehydrated after a day's skiing, means a lot of bottles of something available free, which irritates me..
I had possibly the best room in the house (301) a 3rd floor corner room facing South with good size bathroom and 2 balconies. Walls and floors let through a lot of noise though, so my relatives in other rooms reported.
When buying ski tickets through the hotel, there is a minor discount which however does not compensate for even 8 year olds being counted as adults for ski tickets!
The hotel is located up a hill, perfect for the Cotes ski lift but a brisk hike up from the village. I gather the hill is known as 'heart attack hill' but twice a day for several days i hauled my 80 year old bones up there, so it is doable, but indeed not what you want on arrival with luggage and/or small kids.
Sauce is not a good place for those who like flat walking; it seems every street is either uphill or downhill!
The pool in the basement is accessed and exited by lift only, and the lift is small (3 persons) and very slow, causing major traffic jams at the end of the afternoon when people returning from skiing want to go for a swim.
Management and staff of the Splendid are very helpful, and with a little investment this place would not look so tired and old.
Good places to eat in town: Falco. Also the one at the bottom of the Cotes ski lift, called La Grange if I remember correctly. Very good value for money there.

Room Tip: Corner room 301 and I imagine 201. Fourth floor has no balconies
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Alicia K
Reviewed 29 July 2016

Unlike the name, its not quite a splendid hotel!
Dont get me wrong, its not horrible in the slightest, but it is budget hotel that offers a good package!
We got a good deal for March 2016 quite last minute and were not disappointed, but we were not expecting the Ritz!
The rooms are warm, small but not too small, quite hard beds - but nothing to stop you from sleeping. The walls are quite thin, so if you have noisy neighbours, you will hear them (even when they are being sick...) but we had a breathtaking view from our room! Which made up for the not as good bits! And we didn't spend much time there anyway!

The hotel itself is up a very long, steep hill! Bare this in mind as you get dropped off in the centre of the village as big buses do not go up here! So your luggage is transported whilst you hike around the village!

The hotel is a little dated, but not garish!
We ate in the hotel 4 nights out of the 7, the food is ok...
Breakfast is your standard continental buffet (occasionally comes with cake!!) and you definitely get more of an option the earlier you arrive.
Dinner was ok... some of the food was a little questionable and the pork shin we had one evening, really did look like cat food... :? but we managed to find something most nights, the only reason we ate out was to explore more of the local cuisine! There is a great fondue restaurant in the village which is a must!
The barman was lovely and he always provided great service with a smile! The drinks were reasonable priced and very strong!
The patio outside the hotel catches the afternoon sun which is lovely! Especially if you grab a hot chocolate with Baileys and just relax after a day on the slopes!

I wouldn't return, but mainly because the ski area isn't for me, its quite skier dominated, and being a snowboarder it made some of the areas almost inaccessible unless you are incredibly competent on a button lift!
Vast ski area (that gets very busy on weekends!) and making your way over to Montgenevre is definitely worth it!

Overall, a pleasant stay :)

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sxcsamanfer
Reviewed 26 July 2016

I stayed in this hotel in Feb 2015 for a skiing / snowboarding holiday and while it was awkward on the arrival date to get to (long walk up the hill).. this certainly came as a benefit once we started into the skiing/snowboarding..

In the morning instead of getting a shuttle bus to and from the slopes you just walk outside the door.. along a small residential road for about 50 meters and you are on the slopes.. It was my first experience of this and I thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of being able to come and go to the hotel as I pleased..

The rooms are not exactly modern but are functional and clean.. and each room seems to have a covered balcony which is very handy for airing out gear etc after a long day on the slopes..

The hotel does have a swimming pool, sauna etc.. all these facilities are pretty small so if there is a group of kids you will have limited room.. but it is still an excellent facility to relax after a day skiing/snowboarding..

Sauze D'Oulx as a resort was good.. we got very lucky weather wise.. heavy snow for the full week before we arrived.. blue skies from Mon-Thurs for us.. then another snow storm on the Fri.. so everything was times perfectly..

I would definitely go back to Sauze D'Oulx to ski/snowboard and if I was going back I would certainly stay in Hotel Splendid again..

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor so was handy to get to reception/restaurant etc..
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martin N
Reviewed 12 April 2016 via mobile

Stayed in February
Walk up the hill gets the heart pumping
You can get on and off the piste from the end of the lane across the road.
Hotel has spacious ski/board/boot storage could do with boot driers.
Hotel is well presented,good sized dining room, friendly spacious bar, the is a sauna,gym and good sized pool.
Room we had was good sized, spotless ,but as it was to the rear no view.
Breakfast was plentiful
Dinner was good and enjoyable, waiting staff excellent.
All in would recommend, a smile or even a nod or some acknowledgement from the owners would have been nice.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends