All reviewsthe key cardssoupmain coursepastaboot roomevery nighttoastiesan extra pillownon skiingskiing holidayrecent reviewspotatoescheese and hamwhat it says on the tinblack runsbent over backwardsfood was fine
Reviewed 30 March 2017

The room had a television that was side on to the bed so had to stand in the centre of the room to watch it, though no point as it was all Italian channels and was the size of a postage stamp. No resting to watch the tv after a days skiing then? The bathroom had a constant smell of sewage, in fact it was so bad on the day of leaving we didn't shower. The food was appalling, so much so that a lot of people decided to eat out rather than eat in. The keys to the rooms never worked, and after a days' skiing our friends couldn't find any staff for 40 minutes to re-programme room cards and therefore couldn't get into their rooms. The standard of this hotel is definitely not 3 star, in fact I would class it as a hostel. Definitely not worth the money we paid and would never go there again.

Room Tip: best rooms are the triple rooms (the double rooms you couldn't swing a cat in) it doesn't seeem to cost extra for a triple room
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ellen426
Mayra A, Responsabile reception at Hotel Hermitage, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

Hello
We tried to please you for the first moment that you arrived in the hotel,when you made the check in.
You didn't liked the double room that we given you,as you booked a double room.
We switched some rooms and I gived you and your friends (that had booked the same a double room)two triple rooms.
You didn't liked the wine that we had at dinner (free wine) so we gived you the hole week the wine that you preferred(free of charge)
You didn't liked the shower,(who had been changed 2 weeks first) I've changed the shower!
You eat all the week in the hotel,all you 7 person group,excepting the Friday that you went out.Since I was in the restaurant,I saw that you plates were always empty thing that doesn't happen if you don't like the food.
When people use the shower to make the needs,instead of using the toilet it's normal that the shower will smell!
so I can say that all the staff and I tried to make your holly day fabulous,even if you tried to find a reason to have a discount from everything.
I think that the black American Express that you wanted to use to pay the bar bill didn't helped you!
Best regards
Alexandra

Reviewed 26 March 2017

Just returned from a fab skiing holiday in Sauze d'Oulux. Was a bit unsure about this hotel after reading the reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. Fab family room with a balcony and large shower room. Room cleaned every day with fresh towels and beds made. Food was OK but was great for my little girl who has to have a Gluten Free diet. Staff were friendly even if I had some of my MAC make up STOLEN from our room !!!
Hotel could do more entertainment at night but met some wonderful new friends so we had fun. Shops ok but good bars giving out free food from 4pm
Good location for ski in ski out so would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2017

I was a little worried about staying at Hotel Hermitage after seeing some recent reviews but I was pleasantly surprised.
The room was a decent size and clean and adequately furnished, and was cleaned and tidied each day.
The breakfast was not the best I've had but it was perfectly fine and most of the evening meals were really good. The evening meal started with buffet style salads, pasta and soup, followed by a pasta dish and the main course. The desert was always small which suited me fine. In short you can pretty much eat as much or as little as you want.
The staff were always very friendly and helpful. My only criticism really was the security was rather lax. We were advised to leave our key card at reception as the lift scanners often affected the cards. We did this but as no one was at reception we just left it on the desk. On our return there was still no one at reception but all the key cards were just left on the reception desk. After than we just took them with us as we felt anyone could have picked them up.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

Just got back from here today (18/3/2017) and never have I stayed in such a shambolic hotel. Our room was never hoovered or cleaned during our weeks holiday and was very dusty. The only thing done to our room was made beds... the beds are like camp beds; wafer thin mattresses and made for a very unpleasant sleep and after a days skiing, not a great place to relax in. The food was equally as bad, I wouldn't even feed it a stray dog. It was either very salty, under cooked or hard and very dry, you would of thought Italians could cook pasta! We actually ate out for our last 4 days as the breakfast was equally as bad. The guy that ran the hotel was very rude and obnoxious as was his side kick Alexis (or what ever her name was) on checking in we were not told if there was a NO charging to your room policy so NO credit card details were ever left so paid at the bar for our drinks, on the last night "the side kick" tried charging us €30 for 2x gin and tonics and 2 shots (I know right, €30 says a lot about this place) which they said were charged to the room a policy they don't even have/use otherwise we would of had a signed receipt saying so...! I don't need some greasy faced obnoxious guy pointing his waving finger and shouting saying we need to pay otherwise he'll call the police, as he said mistakes don't happen so maybe your waitresses were pocketing the money as they were very quick to pocket the tips every time we bought drinks...!!! please people do not stay in this dirty grotty place I beg you...!!!

Stayed: March 2017
4  Thank flameyfirestarter77

Hello Stuart from Manchester :)
I usually don't reply to TripAdvisor,but when I saw your feedback I had to.
1. Your feedback is full of lies
2. The bar bill was 30 euros,and it was 2 shots and 4 gin e tonic (but you couldn't know because you weren't with your 2 friends in the night that they had the drink at the bar.
Nobody wanted to charge you with 30€,it was only the drinks that you friend enjoyed at the bar.
All our clients puts the drinks on the room,so it's impossible that we told you that you have to pay cash every time.(another lie)
You didn't eat in the hotel because you were to drunk every night to arrive in time for the dinner.
Yes we told you that we will call the police,but only after you started the fire alarm one night first,and you waked up all the hotel,because you were... drunk!
Your rep was all the week in the hotel,why you didn't tell him nothing??
The bar lady didn't "taked" your money,as you mentioned first,he couldn't since you didn't pay.
And last I sincerely hope I don't have anymore clients like you. You probably need to stay at home! We don't need some greasy faced clients like you in our hotel!
Regards
"Alexis"

Reviewed 7 March 2017

I travelled with a friend who had stayed at this hotel some years before so I trusted her judgment. Whilst the hotel looked good in the brochure and being so close to the magic carpet, the magic had completely disappeared. When we arrived there was a mix up with the rooms all round (we paid extra for a balcony and got given a room with a window). Other guests also were put in the wrong type of rooms and some of them weren't ready for our arrival. When we eventually got to our room it was even more cramped than the first one, it had patio doors which let the cold in and looked out onto a wall, hardly the lovely view of the village or the snow we were expecting and it was noisy. The bathroom you couldn't swing a cat in, the lights didn't all work, the shower head fell off and was not fixed so it was like Niagra falls in the shower for the rest of our stay. My companion was cold, the manager did turn the heating up but then it became unbearably hot. The bathroom smelt as well and the shower tray was cracked. Like other reviews the bed linen left a little to be desired and storage space well we needn't have unpacked our cases, I spent my week stepping over everything so I could get in bed. The food that also left a lot to be desired! I wouldn't recommend it! The staff (the cleaning girls etc were always polite and friendly), the manager as some of said on her could do with going on a course for customer care and on one day there was a big row which really should have been taken somewhere else out of customers earshot and view! The dog did run riot a bit but was largely under control. The village was busy busy busy between 4 and 7pm but quiet after that and staying in the hotel was ok,, the quiz night was fun as someone else pointed out (we too went with Inghams). Other than that though it was amuse yourself or go to bed. As for the skiing we went the second week of January, the magic carpet was more stop than start and there hadn't been any snow fall since Christmas we only had the merest of sprinklings on our last day which life a little more pleasant. The red runs are great, the blues ..... steer clear. As someone else pointed out they are narrow and very icy. Sestriere was great so I would recommend going over there and San Sicario was also very pretty going down through the trees. We ventured over to Montgenevre which was lovely, much more the for the beginner or those less experienced. Would I go back again to Sauze D'oulx , definitely not. It's all a bit tired and outdated, it's not just the hotel. I have to agree with another reviewer on here, about knocking down and starting again.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends