See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 July 2014

If you like to relax a few days on a little private beach with the most beautiful view, this is the place to be!!! The pics of the view are real!!!!

Rooms are a little outdated, but ok. Airco was out of order. The hotel is 7 km from portoferraio.

The restaurant is good for breakfast (average) Make sure you ask the price of the fish of the day for two persons (not just €/100gr) if you don't want to pay €72 for 1 fish :s We found that rude, because all the other meals were between €15-25

tip:
Hotel is not far (800 m) from a verrrry good restaurant la carretta. You best make a reservation.

Room Tip: You need a car
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trijntje14
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel offers a quiet, peaceful location that would appeal to anyone not seeking shops, bars, clubs etc. For these you need to travel by car. The rooms are simple but comfortable, the pool sufficient and the location beautiful. It is the location that was its main attraction to me.

The only option, other than to travel, for eating is the hotel restaurant that offers a mixed and changing menu. The best deal might be the bed/breakfast/dinner option but this limited choice.

The beach is small but is quiet. The view over the bat from rooms and the pool,is lovely. I'd recommend it if you need to unwind, want to just read a book and occasionally look up, admire the view and sip your Campari.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I have just spent several days at the Hotel Mare. What a wonderful experience. I felt as if I was staying with family and friends. The position of the Hotel is wonderful, overlooking the Magnificent Portoferraio town. The restuarant is too in an ideal setting just on the seafront . The food was delicious and I had half board and was excellent value plus the restaurant staff were so obliging.
I loved it so much that I am going back next week... Excellent value, ideal location and family run hotel.... Perfect for a quiet retreat away from the hustle and bustle of every day life.....

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.. Views are outstanding
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank milanflywithme
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed in the hotel for 4 nights last week and it was a lovely relaxing few days. Getting to the hotel was a little difficult with there not being many buses leaving either the water taxi (which had finished before we arrived) or a taxi which we ended up taking which was 25 euros.

Once we arrived at the hotel though it was great - lovely friendly staff who were very helpful and made us feel welcome at once. The view from our Sea View room on the 2nd floor was fantastic, overlooking the pool, sea and over towards Portoferrario under the setting sun. The room was a very good size with a good bathroom and nice balcony too.

We were half board which was ideal given the secluded location in Magazzini and both the dinner and breakfast were very good. From fresh mussels to freshly grilled fish and nice deserts this was very good quality for a hotel half board menu. The house wines were very drinkable (and reasonably priced) too!

My one recommendation would be to take a car to Elba as otherwise you miss out on some of the best bits! The hotel will happily lend you bikes but this doesn't give you access to the whole island. A;though cycling along to Bagnia further along the coast is a nice and reasonably easy cycle where there are a couple of cafes and a small shop selling food and beach stuff. When we stayed the water taxi didn't run for 2 days due to the wind so this did leave us feeling somewhat isolated.

Our main disappointment was that the beach at the hotel was covered in a lot of weed which wasn't ideal and there are certainly much nicer beaches on the rest of the island so if you want beaches then you definitely need a car! Quite a few hotels seemed to clean up the weed but this didn't seem to happen here which is a real shame.

Don't get me wrong, this is a lovely hotel with great staff and a fantastic location - just don't rely on the transport options if you are looking to explore the island! I would definitely stay here again - I would just come by car!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view - well worth the money
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew I
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed at Hotel Mare for four nights in June, 2012. On arrival by water-taxi, I was surprised to find that the village of Magazzini in which the hotel is located essentially consists of the hotel, the hotel restaurant, the hotel shop and a couple of houses. As such, if you are without a mode of transport, as we were, you are somewhat confined to the hotel. That said, the hotel enjoys a truly relaxing and secluded spot looking over the bay to the capital, Portoferraio.

We rented bikes from the hotel reception on two days to explore some of the beaches on the island. This worked out well, however, the roads can be very windy and busy with traffic. The private shingle beach at Hotel Mare was reasonably nice and worth spending a lazy day at. The food in the restaurant is adequate. After some exploring, we came across a really nice restaurant about 10 minutes walk away in the direction of Portoferraoi, which was a welcome alternative to the hotel's offering. In terms of accommodation, the rooms were spotlessly clean and as described, but a little on the small side. The hotel staff were especially warm and welcoming, particularly the younger receptionist girl (didn't catch her name!).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to those in search of some tranquility, peace and relaxation. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, but would choose somewhere a bit livelier should I return to Elba.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends