See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I have just spent several days at the Hotel Mare. What a wonderful experience. I felt as if I was staying with family and friends. The position of the Hotel is wonderful, overlooking the Magnificent Portoferraio town. The restuarant is too in an ideal setting just on the seafront . The food was delicious and I had half board and was excellent value plus the restaurant staff were so obliging.
I loved it so much that I am going back next week... Excellent value, ideal location and family run hotel.... Perfect for a quiet retreat away from the hustle and bustle of every day life.....

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.. Views are outstanding
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank milanflywithme
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed in the hotel for 4 nights last week and it was a lovely relaxing few days. Getting to the hotel was a little difficult with there not being many buses leaving either the water taxi (which had finished before we arrived) or a taxi which we ended up taking which was 25 euros.

Once we arrived at the hotel though it was great - lovely friendly staff who were very helpful and made us feel welcome at once. The view from our Sea View room on the 2nd floor was fantastic, overlooking the pool, sea and over towards Portoferrario under the setting sun. The room was a very good size with a good bathroom and nice balcony too.

We were half board which was ideal given the secluded location in Magazzini and both the dinner and breakfast were very good. From fresh mussels to freshly grilled fish and nice deserts this was very good quality for a hotel half board menu. The house wines were very drinkable (and reasonably priced) too!

My one recommendation would be to take a car to Elba as otherwise you miss out on some of the best bits! The hotel will happily lend you bikes but this doesn't give you access to the whole island. A;though cycling along to Bagnia further along the coast is a nice and reasonably easy cycle where there are a couple of cafes and a small shop selling food and beach stuff. When we stayed the water taxi didn't run for 2 days due to the wind so this did leave us feeling somewhat isolated.

Our main disappointment was that the beach at the hotel was covered in a lot of weed which wasn't ideal and there are certainly much nicer beaches on the rest of the island so if you want beaches then you definitely need a car! Quite a few hotels seemed to clean up the weed but this didn't seem to happen here which is a real shame.

Don't get me wrong, this is a lovely hotel with great staff and a fantastic location - just don't rely on the transport options if you are looking to explore the island! I would definitely stay here again - I would just come by car!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view - well worth the money
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew I
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed at Hotel Mare for four nights in June, 2012. On arrival by water-taxi, I was surprised to find that the village of Magazzini in which the hotel is located essentially consists of the hotel, the hotel restaurant, the hotel shop and a couple of houses. As such, if you are without a mode of transport, as we were, you are somewhat confined to the hotel. That said, the hotel enjoys a truly relaxing and secluded spot looking over the bay to the capital, Portoferraio.

We rented bikes from the hotel reception on two days to explore some of the beaches on the island. This worked out well, however, the roads can be very windy and busy with traffic. The private shingle beach at Hotel Mare was reasonably nice and worth spending a lazy day at. The food in the restaurant is adequate. After some exploring, we came across a really nice restaurant about 10 minutes walk away in the direction of Portoferraoi, which was a welcome alternative to the hotel's offering. In terms of accommodation, the rooms were spotlessly clean and as described, but a little on the small side. The hotel staff were especially warm and welcoming, particularly the younger receptionist girl (didn't catch her name!).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to those in search of some tranquility, peace and relaxation. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, but would choose somewhere a bit livelier should I return to Elba.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AcornTruffel
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed in one of the rooms with a sea view, and the sea view across the bay to Portoferraio with its buildings, lighthouse and the to and fro of passenger ferries is really worth it. Food in the pleasant restaurant is simple and very good. Breakfast is more than adequate.
If you want a beach, then the one at the hotel is just about sufficient, but if you want to be near the sea in what has an almost village atmosphere next to the little boat harbour, then this is the place for you.
The staff are all very friendly and efficient.
Disadvantages? Without a car real shops are a distance away. (The shop at the hotel is not a subsititute). There are buses, but not many, and the boat shuttle to Portoferraio is a wonderful experience, but not terribly reliable: if the wind is too strong or there don't seem to be enough passengers, then it doesn't run.
But all in all, the ten days we spent at Hotel Mare were excellent and will be repeated.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first or second floor with sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jovialDavid
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We had four nights here, the first night in a room overlooking the car park which was perfectly adequate; for the other three nights we were in a larger room, recently renovated and with a large terrace overlooking the sea. As noted by another reviewer, it is worth trying for a room with a sea-view. The restaurant, where we had dinner on two nights, was good and not expensive. Service was pleasant and very helpful in both the hotel and restaurant. A quiet corner in what can be a very busy resort, even in September. Good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple