“Fantastic school!”

Italian Language School Il Sasso - Day Class
More attraction details
Owner description: The Italian language school Il Sasso is located in Montepulciano, a beautiful, renaissance town that stands on a hill surrounded by vineyards and olive groves in southern Tuscany. The school was founded in 1983 by people who are still running it today and it is recognized by the Ministry of Public Education. Foreign students are of every age group and come from all parts of the globe.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 17 June 2018

This school is definitely the gem of Montepulciano and Tuscany. I was completely in awe of the level of classes here. They are well balanced with grammar, speaking and listening. As well as lots of interesting activities to make learning experience fun and efficient, like games, "field trip" to the local market to explore local produce and learn new words. Teachers are attentive, knowledgable, intelligent and fun! At this school you feel how much they care about what they do! It was completely enjoyable and unforgettable experience!
Grazie mille - Silvia Celli, Cinzia Casagni, Sara Chierchini, Heike Wilms, Eleonora Vieri!

Date of experience: June 2018
"beautiful location"
"grammar"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 6 June 2018

To first begin with a little bit about myself, I have previously studied four other languages: Latin, Ancient Greek, French, and German. In three weeks at Il Sasso, I learned as much as I did in one semester of German at an ivy league university. The teachers are amazing, enthusiastic, and you will absolutely be amazed at how much Italian you are able to pick up in one or more weeks. I definitely hope to come back and would encourage anyone to do it.

A few words about the town, Montepulciano is absolutely beautiful and a wonderful place to spend a couple of weeks.

There were people while I was there as young as 16, and as old as 70, the program really is appropriate for all ages!

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 27 May 2018

So many of us admire Italy for it's beauty, food and culture but when we travel there we look in as outsiders. My experience at Il Sasso made me feel at home in Montepulciano, which is a breathtakingly beautiful town in Tuscany. The faculty at the school are very warm and friendly and they are good teachers. We took a placement test and were put in classes with others of our ability. The morning class runs from 8:45-1 with two breaks. With the longer break the students go to a bar (coffee shop) across the street. The other students were from all over and were a nice mix of ages, although there were quite a few Americans, and everyone had fun together. I was only there for a week but I felt sad leaving my class because we really enjoyed each other. I made great progress in my Italian over the week and what was best was I stopped being shy about speaking. I also felt really comfortable in Montepulciano by the time I left. I'm already thinking about coming back next year.

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank Cathleen M
Reviewed 16 January 2018

What an exceptional experience as a Beginner student last fall, 2017 at Il Sasso. Costanza is an excellent instructor and made me feel comfortable every morning with our lessons. She helped create a learning environment that was stress free and fun. I am returning in early 2018 for more training and of course, enjoying exquisite Tuscany! If this is your first time to the area, consider staying in one of the peaceful and charming agriturismos that are nestled next to Montepulciano.

Date of experience: October 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 November 2017

From the minute I had first contact with the school via email , through to my arrival and for the entire two weeks i was at Il Sasso, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. My interactions with the admin staff via email before arriving were stellar and gave me a lot of confidence in the experience I was about to have.
Once at the school and in Montepulciano, things just continued to get better and better. The town was stunning and so full of life and interesting things to do. The school arranged my accommodation and it was perfect. A wonderful little apartment in a beautiful location on the edge of the town.
I was incredibly nervous about attending school after so many years away from it. At 65 and a total beginner in terms of the Italian language, I was worried that I had bitten off more than I could chew. From the minute I met the staff and the teachers my fears were put to rest. The program is an excellent one and my teachers Elenora and Sara were incredible!!! The small class size allowed for a lot of individual attention and while Sara and Eleanor were always patient , encouraging and engaging, they were also very persistent in ensuring that everyone participated fully. Shy or not, we were all pushed (in the nicest of ways) to talk. Don't get me wrong, the classes were hard work but fun at the same time and although I had moments where I doubted I would ever speak or understand the language (and thought my head would explode!!!) by the end of the first week,I was both speaking and understanding a lot. The structure of the lessons is perfect, with emphasis on discussion first. Yes there was homework but never too much and the afternoon's optional excursions were excellent. I met so many interesting students from around the world, many of whom had been to the school multiple times. I can understand why and hope to go back again myself.
My time at the school ( 2 weeks) was short and went by in a flash but it really set me up well for the rest of my 6 week solo journey in Italy.I am certainly far from fluent but my time at the school gave me the confidence I needed and the language skills to really enjoy the rest of my trip. I would highly recommend Il Sasso to anyone wanting to learn or improve their Italian. What an amazing experience it was. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone at the school!!!!

Date of experience: September 2017