“Celebratory meal”

The Rib Room Steakhouse and Grill
Ranked #48 of 357 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$19 - US$76
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: AA Award Winning Restaurant in Durham We're rightly proud of the reputation that the Rib Room has as one of the finest dining venues in the North East. At the AA award-winning Rib Room Steakhouse and Grill, steaks are the house speciality, where we serve the finest Durham beef, matured for up to 32 days, to produce a succulent and tender steak. And don't just take our word for it- you can take a peak in our unique meat locker and see the quality of the product for yourself. The style of the dining room goes towards creating the perfect atmosphere with round tables with banquette seating available. The menu includes a range of fresh fish and vegetarian dishes so there really is something to suit everyone. And to wash your delicious dinner down choose from our extensive wine list offering more than 50 hand picked wines.
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

We went to the rib room this evening. Absolutely beautiful restaurant, lovely setting. The host was lovely & very entertaining. We got the scallops & salmon for starters both amazing! It is pricey however well worth it. My boyfriend got the surf & turf & i got pure food envy! Food was delicious! Overall 5* experience!

1  Thank Louise M
Tim B, Manager at The Rib Room Steakhouse and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Dear Louise M,

Thank you so much for leaving your 5* star review for our rib room restaurant. It pleases me that you enjoyed your visit and the food on offer. I will most certainly pass on your great feedback to our rib room team.

We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Many Thank

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Visited the hotel and spa for our first wedding anniversary.

Arriving at the hotel had a very lovely welcome and easy check in. Sat in the gardens while waiting for the room to be ready as we were a little early, was nice to sit and relax in lovely surroundings

Went to the spa in the afternoon and it was absolutely packed. Found it hard getting a lounger. But on whole was a good experience

Went to the rib room for evening meal. Shared the meat plater which was lovely. Then ordered rib eye steak with chips and broccoli sides. One steak was lovely the other was disgracefully bad. Hardly any meat without strings of tough fat running through. Told a waitress and she started to question if we had ever had rib eye steak before as they do come with fat. But this was amount was ridiculous. Made to feel stupid and embarrassed at complaining at the poor quality. In the end the chef made 2 new dishes. When food returned the rest of the staff came to check which table had complained and could be seen to be staring and whispering. Made to feel terrible.

The replacement meals were lovely and of great quality however the experience was already spoilt.

Morning breakfast was expensive but was of good quality with a lot of choice so didn’t mind too much.

1  Thank ross123321

Dear ross123321,

First of all i would like to thank you for your review for our rib room restaurant. We take all feedback on board here at Ramside hall and i will bring up your issues with our head chef to make sure this doesn't happen again. I do hope this hasn't put you off returning to Ramside hall in the near future.

Once again i do apologise.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Myself and husband stayed at the ramside for our first anniversary. Could not fault the hotel and spa, the steak and service however was disgusting. We decided to have our anniversary meal at the rib room, we both ordered rib eye steaks medium rare. We have visited a lot of steak restaurants in the past so was really looking forward to dining here as heard good reviews. The starter we had was delicious. Then our steaks come... my husbands was a good cut of beef, hardly any fat and cooked medium rare. Mine however... was pure fat. No meat and was more rare. It was totally inedible. I have never sent food back in a restaurant so was not going to say anything until I was asked by the waitress how the steak was. I could not lie and said well I can’t eat mine due to the amount of fat. I was not expecting the reply I got from the waitress, the whole restaurant was looking. The waitress then proceeded to try and explain to me how a rib eye should have a little bit of fat. I explained I expect a bit of fat but not to be pure fat and no meat. She then proceeded to ask me if I have had steak before, by this point I had given up being nice and could not believe the way this waitress was speaking to me and made me feel. I said I had better cuts of meat from a supermarket and I am not prepared to eat it. I think the waitress realised how angry I was becoming and then did replace our steaks which were better than the first ones. The manager later apologised as the steaks were not up to standard. It was embarrassing enough to send food back that was inedible never mind to receive the service I received from the waitress. I will not be dining back here!!!

1  Thank Laura T

Dear Laura T,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our rib room restaurant. If you could contact me directly at will.green@ramsidehallhotel.co.uk so that i can look into these issues for you but in the meantime i will speak with our restaurant manager about the issues raised.

Many Thanks,

Reviewed 12 May 2018

We visited here this week and after seeing rave reviews we were looking forward to a great dinner. Things started well the starters were delicious and tasty scollops and cheese soufflé . so far so good . Then the steaks arrived and this was when the shine went away.. Firstly they were cooked incorrectly. We asked for medium one arrived well done the other nearly rare. The quality i ordered sirloin and the rib eye. in all my years I have never been served steak with so much fat present it was totally inedible. 10 oz sirloin steak with 6oz of pure disgusting fat. the rib eye was even worse we actually filled a side plate with the excess fat. We actually refused to eat it and sent the whole lot back it was the single worst steak i’ve ever had presented to me. i can only describe it as terrible. i pointed out this to the restaurant manager Michael who actually agreed it was below standard. I am not writing this to be nasty the service from Michael was excellent and if not for his attention i would have made huge deal of this. luckily it was handled well by Michael so much so i still tipped him accordingly. i just cannot reccomend food of such poor quality. i’m sure this was an oversight and my comments are only to point out that improvement and quality checks are carried out. i will say the staff are very good the atmosphere is pleasant. However our personal expectations were not met and we were genuinely disappointed. But thank you Michael

Dear michaelirving1572,

Firstly i would like to thank you for leaving your review. I will speak to our restaurant manager but in the meantime If you could contact me at will.green@ramsidehallhotel.co.uk directly so that i can look into these issues further then that'll be great.

Many Thanks,

Reviewed 11 May 2018

Had dinner in this restaurant and it was gorgeous would thoroughly recommend it to everyone. Something to suit all

Dear pamhogg45,

Thank you for the 5* review and i will pass on your feedback to our team in the rib room.

We hope to see you sometime soon.

Many Thanks