All reviewscleaned dailyclean towelsfull englishphoebehostsguests
Reviewed 11 August 2017

This is my third year staying at Maindee and I feel at home there. Phoebe and her husband are very nice and friendly hosts. Also the guest house is super clean and bedrooms are very comfortable. Also next to city center and bus stop right outside the door which is very convenient. I totally recommend it!!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2017

My bedroom was elegantly decorated and a good size, with an opening window. Breakfast was good in terms of choice and quality, except that the first two mornings I was only given a mug of tea instead of a pot, and it was far too weak for my liking. Later in the week it improved. There is no private parking but there is space to park safely in the lane at the rear - ask your hosts for advice.

The main drawback of this establishment is that the doors to the bedrooms are very heavy and it is difficult to close them silently. Even if you remember to close them correctly, gently pulling them closed instead of letting them swing to, there is no guarantee that your fellow guests will be so considerate or mindful. There are shared bathrooms and some of the guests are workers at the docks who may have to get up at 5 or 6am, so there is a risk that your sleep will be disturbed by banging doors.

I thought it was good value for money taking into account the average accommodation prices in the region, but if I come to Barrow again I will consider staying somewhere else even if it means paying more - either a small B&B with fewer guests, or a modern hotel with an ensuite room.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank WYorksTraveller15
PFuCumbria, Owner at Maindee Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

We are learning from your comments, thank you!

Reviewed 5 August 2017

Absolutely amazing!! the hosts were very very nice and the welcome was very warm, the room was beautiful and clean. The breakfast was great. We loved everything!! Great place and we totally recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Jennyb2579
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Smashing place to stay, very clean and tidy, good linen and towels, owner Ian very friendly and helpful. I didn't realise that b&b still had shared facilities, bit of a pain trying to be quiet in the night when its dark and hoping you don't wake other guests and your hubby in my case. Also queued for the shower this morning. Facilities cleaned daily, clean towels daily. We are in room 12 which has a lot of road noise, we live in the countryside and have only a very small amount of noise so we are just not used to it, there are rooms not on the front. The other guests are friendly and the breakfast is great, Ian has been very helpful discussing my dietary needs and fulfilled everything asked for. Not an expensive place to stay and easy to get out and about.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debra G

It‘s a pity I was away during your stay! Next time come over in the weekend, I will keep a en-suite room for you at the back of the house. See you again! :)

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

Where can I start awesome place Phoebe and Ian are genuine hosts made to feel like family rooms spacious and clean Breakfast fantastic definitely recommend and will use when in the local area regards Stuart

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business