Orcades Hostel(Kirkwall)
  • Restaurant
Hotels.com
Albert Hotel(Kirkwall)
  • Restaurant
All reviewshot chocolate and biscuitshear noisesmoked haddocklounge bardressing gownsharbour fronttop floorfree car parkprevious nightshower roomlocal amenitiesnight's sleepfantastic locationcomfortable bedstayed for one nightstay there againscottish breakfast
Reviewed 30 May 2018

We stayed in the top floor which has two adjoining rooms. Clean, spacious, well lit with plenty of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits. Friendly staff, good bar and delicious breakfast with fabulous black pudding.
We stayed on a Sunday night on a Bank Holiday weekend. It was lovely and quiet even though the hotel was busy. Right on the harbour front so in easy reach of everywhere.

Room Tip: Top floor great for families.
Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2018

We booked two nights in a Premier room as part of a tour of the Orkneys.
First impressions are important, we could not park nearby, and the fact that 5 rowdy drunks were being ushered out of the pub nearby did not help. We were reassured by the hotel this was "just Kirkwall on a Saturday night" - this was about 5:00pm.
The room itself was spacious, clean and quiet, with a view over the bay.
I found breakfast poor, including the worse porridge I have had anywhere and burnt omelette.
We ate out after that.
The Shore seems fully booked most of the time, so maybe we were unlucky?

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Footsie
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

➖ Not really a dislike, but no USB ports or telephone in room.

➕ Good location, very close to town center and pedestrian/shopping center. Breakfast is selected via a form you turn in the previous night. They even accommodated a special request for me food wise. I was placed into a suite in the new addition of the property, which included a spacious room with a queen bed and 2 singles in adjoining room. Bath robes & hairdryer provided. Bathroom/shower was good sized, with consistent water pressure and temperature. WiFi was free and pretty consistent, although sometimes disconnected me at random times. Although not an issue for me, there is no lift at the hotel. I paid £340 for April 22-26.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2018

Stayed a night there in April. Rooms seem to have been renovated. I had one of the top floor rooms. Clean and well appointed. However it was a Saturday night and slightly noisy till midnight. Clean etc. Easy to walk from the ferry. My problem was that I waited 25 mins for a drink let alone order a meal so for the first time in years I had to leave. The young staff were overworked. Breakfast was mediocre. That said staff friendly.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Flyingdoc56
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Spent six days in Kirkwall, staying here. Says 3 star on the door, but 5 star with the staff, food and care provided. The rooms have been updated. Mine was a twin room, but staff suggested they move the beds to make it a kingsize. Nice touch! Also very clean, great shower and even robes and chocolates on the pillow. Fresh bottles of water daily. Staff offered directions, suggestions and great banter. My only complaint was the family in the room above letting the child perform gymnastics resulting in me having to speak to them about the pounding. Not The Shore's fault. The food is wonderful. If I'm back in Kirwall, definitely staying here!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Ga7ethC, Owner at The Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Thanks for taking time to give feedback. Glad you enjoyed your stay. We will try to find a quieter space next time you are with us.