Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,725 results
All reviews garden room oak panelled afternoon tea york bar garden restaurant lobster dessert trolley dress code roast beef christmas decorations special occasion scones four poster main restaurant old coaching inn sea bass a real treat
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We married here 2 years ago, and returned to celebrate our anniversary. This is the first time we’ve not thoroughly enjoyed the experience and here’s why. Arriving in pouring rain, my husband dropped me off first and I completely missed the sign indicating people should wait on the pavement outside to be seated. So I strolled up to reception to be met by a rather frosty woman and this is where the difference in our many previous visits started. The George staff have always been so welcoming. Unbeknown to me at the same time my husband was being dealt a similar experience by the man allocated guests from the pavement. Just so out of character for this venue and absolutely not appreciated on our special occasion. It was explained to us the error that we should not have entered like we did, but fully chastised we were granted a table in the restaurant. I will say I was tempted to leave before we were seated…. The next problem is the mask situation. You are the first venue we’ve visited since COVID that has maintained a strong persuasion for everyone to wear masks. This includes since we visited you on our first anniversary where you were much more relaxed. Yesterday we were confronted by signs almost suggesting it was compulsory despite government advice changing weeks ago. So most of the guests arrive masked up until seated when COVID apparently disappears. Yes I understand this is very much a personal choice, but if people are so frightened, they would not come out to sit unmasked to eat in your hotel. Likewise this is the first of many places we’ve visited where you’ve clearly instructed the staff to wear masks, creating a barrier, a problem for guests to hear sometimes and if they are smiling of course you cannot see. Noted incidentally the woman on reception ( older woman out of the reception team) that was previously rude to me, was not even wearing hers correctly anyway and kept dropping it below her nose. The food was same standard as always. I concur entirely with many criticisms you’ve received already about price, as you’ve clearly hiked the prices up considerably. I can understand a need to recover costs and supply chain problems, but I’d suggest avoiding annoying guests before they are even seated to pay such high prices would be better. Im going to say on this occasion your staff member Marlene saved the day. She looked after us mostly and we found her to be an absolutely delightful young lady, and I’m sure she has a lovely smile behind the mask.
We look forward to the George of old, returning to the George of old before we return again.

Room tip: Glad to say that the venue has extended its restaurant dining area outside now and most importantly does not allow dogs in that area
Date of stay: September 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2021

The beef wellington just about ok, no better than that and a serious disappointment at the price. The beef took a concerted effort to cut through and the pastry had a strange texture perhaps like perished rubber.

Date of stay: September 2021
Reviewed 26 August 2021 via mobile

First meet up with all my 3 siblings for 2 years

Had a meal there many years ago with our late mum who loved it, so it seemed the perfect place to celebrate what would have been her 100th birthday

Not disappointed.

Super venue, wonderful staff. All so attentive and caring despite being masked on a very hot day

The food was scrumptious and plentiful. We had meat, fish and vegetarian selections, starters, main and dessert. Loved the complimentary shot glasses of soup and tiny appetisers on the table ready for us when we arrived.

We had a wonderful time.

Yes it is expensive but it was worth every penny.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2021 via mobile

Another excellent meal at the George under the canopy. Have visited on many occasions but this time with the whole family. As always the food and service were excellent. Never had a bad meal here. It’s not cheap but it’s special and has traditional values and service. Everyone loved it and we will be back … when we have saved up again!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2021 via mobile

Well, we'd looked forward to an elegant afternoon tea in elegant surroundings outside London for quite a while. For the cost of £28 each we had high expectations.

The staff were lovely...lots of tea offered and nothing was too much trouble. No complaints at all. Well done.

The location/room...strange....dark and claustophic.

Food! Sandwiches...cucumber and egg choice - fresh and tasty if a tad boring. The 2 scones were soft and fresh...but 1 tiny scoop of clotted cream looked stingy for the 6 scones. My main issue was the quality of the cakes ... my experience of afternoon tea is of elegant little cakes that are basically works of art...what we received were chunks of tray bakes similar to those from supermarkets and 1 obviously homemade jam tart that was along the right lines but a little amateurish.

No, Stamford isn't London and the price reflects this, however, for Lincolnshire £84 for 3 people is on the more expensive side.

If I could make one recommendation it would better to maybe look at afternoon tea selections at top hotels for inspiration in both presentation and selection.

Trip type: Travelled with friends