Lock in the lowest price from these sites
FindHotel
1,725 results
All reviews garden room oak panelled afternoon tea york bar garden restaurant lobster dessert trolley dress code roast beef christmas decorations special occasion scones four poster main restaurant old coaching inn sea bass a real treat
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 January 2021

11 years ago we got married at The George on a beautiful winters day. The day was magical and made so by the all staff. To celebrate our 11th anniversary in these strange time, not being able to visit in person, we decided to opt for the The George of Stamford at home menu... and wow what can we say. Paul, Chef Patron/Manger has pulled out all the stops. The foods is packaged and presented beautifully. It’s provided with idiot proof cooking instructions which all allow for a meal at home, tasting just as expected, just without the romance and back drop of The George itself. We can’t thank you enough Paul. If anyone fancies a bit of fine dining ( at home) we can’t recommend enough.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2020

This was supposed to be a birthday treat for my daughter in laws birthday earlier in the year, then mine was on Lockdown day (March 23rd) then as Halloween approached it was my oldest sons birthday just prior to the second Lockdown!
We arrived early and had a drink before ordering our lovely meal in the Oak Room.
This room is Oak Panelled and hasn’t changed over the years! We were given a nice table in a corner near a window, (despite this and the lone candle, it was difficult for me to see the Menu!) seductive lighting is all very well but if you can’t see what your ordering or eating it isn’t much help!
I ordered Tempura King Prawns, Thai asparagus, lime coriander salsa! I could not fault it, it was delicious and beautifully served to three of us. The remaining guest chose the Duck Liver Terrine and wasn’t disappointed.
Two of us, myself included chose the Grouse for our main dish. I had to request a steak knife as ai found it difficult to cut with the knife provided! One had Roast Beef ,served at the table which was highly praised the other had Woodbridge Duck, but like myself needed a steak knife to cut it. Other wise very good choices and a selection of fresh vegetables. An excellent bottle of red to complement a truly lovely meal.
Instead of dessert we adjourned to the lounge and enjoyed coffee and a very good Scotch Whiskey before our taxi arrived to take us home! Memorable evening all round. Lovely helpful staff, I’ve previously commented on the delightful Ladies Powder Room, the like of which I can only compare with that at The Ritz!

Reviewed 3 November 2020

On the 03 October 2020 my wife and I with our friends went to the George to celebrate our Ruby Weddings anniversary. Simply the George were brilliant looking after all our needs throughout the night. Service was great, the food amazing and the overall experience worthy of our combined 80 years of marriage. Big thanks to all and I highly recommend go and try the George.

2  Thank Andy C
Reviewed 2 November 2020

Fortunately we booked a few weeks ago, so this was a last treat with family before lockdown 2. As ever the food was excellent. Service very good and all COVID restrictions etc were in place. Felt very safe.
My only complaint is that the total on our bill was overcharged by nearly £50. This isn’t the first time here and although an obvious mistake, we leave talking about that instead of the dining experience. Having said that we shall no doubt return as it remains a favourite venue. Btw. The lobsters were superb.

1  Thank TimeTravellersWife
Reviewed 28 October 2020

The George Hotel has an enviable reputation for excellence. It didn't disappoint today in the 'Garden Room Restaurant'. My party of four enjoyed great food and excellent service. A special mention must be made for 'Super Star' Sarah, part of the management team, she had the room running like clockwork. I look forward to the next visit.