“Friday night dinner ”

Ranked #19 of 393 Restaurants in Poole
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Poole's only fisherman owned restaurant.. Committed to using the finest fresh, local and sustainable produce, Fisherman Pete opened STORM in 1998. Serving the finest fish and shellfish (and our award winning Poole Oysters) from the south coast - cooked with passion and expertise and served with a smile. Winners of BEST DORSET SEAFOOD RESTAURANT 2018.
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

We dined here for the bank holiday weekend. There were 6 of us in total.

Ambience was really nice and the staff were very friendly.

We had the prawns to start in an Asian sauce which were so tasty followed by fish cakes for main which were just as tasty as the first course.

Wine list was extensive and white wine which complimented our choice of food.

We would certainly return here when we are back in Poole.

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed our meal here. Highly recommend, definitely one to repeat if we're in the area.
Great service - prompt, friendly and informative. Delicious food, and in a casual setting. For me that's a formula that can't be beaten.

Reviewed 22 August 2018

We found this restaurant by accident. I have to say we were torn between leaving a rave review or keeping this gem to ourselves!! Storm is a small seafood restaurant in Poole. Great welcome, fantastic food and excellent service from the two waitresses who always had a smile on their faces. We will be going back to this great place. Thank you Storm

Reviewed 21 August 2018

We were visiting the area for the weekend and wanted to pick a good fish/seafood restaurant and came across this restaurant and read all the good reviews and booked it. I have to say that I am so surprised after reading the reviews that our meal was so poor.

The restaurant is based in a nice part of town and has a nice cosy ambience and the staff are friendly and service is good, but unfortunately the food just isn't for us. It may have been a different experience if we had ordered plainer food, but we just didn't feel that the chef could balance flavours.

My husband and I had the Thai flavoured seafood bisque, which arrived and looked very inviting, but the first mouthful led us both to cough heavily as the chilli hit the back of the throat. The soup was very heavy on the saffron and extremely heavy on the chilli, not offering the warm glow around your taste buds a well balanced dish should, but making me take a sip of water every couple of mouthfuls as the back of my throat was burning. I couldn't also taste the flavour of the bisque as the other flavours so strong.

I don't mind a bit of spice or having tingling lips after finishing a spicy dish, but this was literally burning my throat and I couldn't finish it. One of our party had the corn and herb fritter starter, which went the other way and had no real flavour.

We then had the cod and clam chowder, which was much better, although a little too herby for my liking, but a nicely cooked piece of cod, albeit quite small. My husband had a seafood linguini, which had lots of nice seafood, but rather than having a tomato or cream based sauce, it was packed full of olives and capers and no real sauce, which gave it a very acidic taste and not a nice smooth seafood flavour. It just wasn't that tasty and had quite an odd, unbalanced acidic taste.

The waitress asked us how we enjoyed our food and being honest, we did give our opinion. She came back about 10 mins later and very kindly suggested that as we didn't like the food, we could have desserts on the house, which was very good customer service, as we hadn't made a complaint, just answered her question as to whether we had enjoyed the food.

So we ordered a fruit based panacotta and a berry eton mess. As I am sure we have all watched the cookery programmes about a panacotta having the wobble, my husband did the test and it was pretty solid with no wobble. Clearly had too much gelatin in which I am very surprised by in a restaurant that charges these prices, that it is more like rubber than a set custard. The flavour of the fruit syrup over it was ok.

My eton mess was presented as a pile of flavoured whipped cream on a flat plate with a sprinkle of crushed meringue on top, which meant after a couple of spoonfuls you were left with mouthfuls of thick cream with mushed up berries in which is extremely rich and a bit like eating baby food (although much tastier). What makes eton mess nice to eat is the creamy texture, mixed with the bite of some fruit and tart flavour and the crunch of meringue. This was basically whipped cream and mushed up berries, which tasted ok, but was sickly and a poor version of an eton mess, so once again disappointing.

I can only assume that we just had a bad visit because all of the other reviews are so good, or we just ordered the wrong food and should have gone for more plain cooked fish which would have been better. Shame as had so much promise.

1  Thank Liz S
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

My first experience of oysters and I was not disappointed. They were presented in 3 different styles and each very flavoursome. The staff were well informed and they offered good advice. The veggie option was a delicious curry but rather hot. Overall a lovely meal.