2,625 results
All reviews train station taxi rank breakfast buffet perfect location single room nice hotel nutshell tour great breakfast oslo airport oslo fjord main station business room hotel is located oslo pass public transportation city centre superior room
Reviewed 7 November 2018

Just next to the train station, quite luxury hotel, quiet rooms, perfect sleep, buffet breakfast provides huge choice but not as crowded as expected from a hotel of this size. Perfect window view (though I guess it depends on the room location)

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Marius L, Guest Relations Manager at Thon Hotel Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Dear Ariehedel,

Thank you for your top rating and that you have taken time to write a review of your stay with us at Thon Hotel Opera. I’m happy to read that you have slept well with us and found your room quiet and luxurious. Thank you for your kind words about our breakfast, I do hope we gave you a good start on your morning. I do also hope we might have the joy of welcoming you back to Thon Hotel Opera on a future occasion.

Reviewed 5 November 2018

The Thon Opera Hotel is a large, modern hotel right next to the Central Station, where you are most likely to arrive in Oslo on the train from the station. So, it is unquestionably very convenient. I also loved the breakfast buffet, which was very varied and good quality.

However, there were some issues. First, when I arrived, I was told my booking did not exist. When I suggested they could search under the name of the person who made the booking for me, they insisted the booking would be in the name of the guest. And when the person who made the booking called them, they denied all knowledge of the booking again. Then, after the e-booking record was transferred to me and I showed it to them, the person on the desk said, "Oh, it's under the name of the person who made the booking." Did anyone say, "I'm sorry you had to wait?" No. No one was rude, but it was like dealing with androids. I wasn't impressed by this. The rooms, although not roomy, were well equipped, with the exception of a sink with an overflow that simply drained onto the bathroom floor -- which did not have a drain in it.

But what would really stop me from staying here again are security issues. There are no safes in the rooms. A female business colleague pointed out there are also no chains on the inside of the doors, and that made her uncomfortable. Worse still, she discovered that when you leave the room, the door does not lock automatically unless you hold the electronic card to it for a few seconds. No one told us about this when we checked in. Perhaps it does lock automatically after a couple of minutes? But that still gives someone a couple of minutes to get in there and take anything - and you don't have a safe to put anything in. Worse still, the hotel has a notice telling you to take care of your belongings, because it takes no responsibility... We felt we had to lug everything valuable around with us all day.

So, overall, no, I wouldn't pick this hotel.

Date of stay: November 2018
2  Thank ChrisfromLondon
Marius L, Guest Relations Manager at Thon Hotel Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2018

Dear ChrisFromLondon,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay with us at Thon Hotel Opera. I’m sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your stay with us and that several issues will prevent you from considering our hotel on a future occasion. I’m sorry to read about your experience with our front desk staff, I can assure you this is not by the standards we wish to be know, and our front desk manager and hotel manager will take this situation with the members of staff involved.
Regarding the safety of our hotel, I’m sorry that you do not feel safe with us. Chains on the doors are considered un-necessary and also a violation against the Norwegian fire instructions, as this will prevent the fire brigade to enter a room without having to use extra time on destroying the door in the case of an emergency. The setup of the hotel room doors, which is described in details in your in-room information, is also a part of the Norwegian fire regulations, and is required on all modern hotels. The idea is that you might re-enter your room if you escapes into the hallway in case of a fire, and find that the route is somehow blocked. As of this, the room is unlocked for a number of minutes, unless a keycard is presented to activate the lock when leaving the room. We are aware that many of our guests do not expect this setup on the locks, and are considering new branding on the doors to give an addition warning to remember to lock the doors.
Considering that it seems that you have found our location to be convenient, the breakfast tasteful and generally have liked our hotel, I do hope you will consider coming back to Thon Hotel Opera on a future occasion, and that your next visit will be more memorable.

Reviewed 2 November 2018

Very close to Oslo central train station and city center resides the Thon Opera hotel. It is my 3rd time in this hotel mainly due to its proximity to the train station and to our business offices. This time I got a very small room with single bed, but well and efficient organized so size was not an issue. It previous times I got bigger rooms which is preferable for me. There is a comfortable table with enough sockets and of course free WiFi (as it is standard today in most hotels of this level) provides an adequate environment for the business traveler.
Bathroom was obviously small as well with shower only (my preference anyway) but still was fairly comfortable. Shower was great.
Breakfast is one of the highlight of this hotel. All the required ingredients, from eggs, vegetables, fruits, chees, fish, fresh squeezed orange juice and much more.
The hotel has several meeting rooms and very big lobby so you can also conduct meetings in the hotel.
Service of staff like always was excellent. I didn’t need them too much but when ever did they were very pleasant and cooperative.
All in all very recommended.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Marius L, Guest Relations Manager at Thon Hotel Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2018

Dear Ofer N,

Thank you for your top rating and for taking time to write a review of your stay with us at Thon Hotel Opera. I’m happy to read that you are a returning guest with us and that you have also enjoyed your last stay, despite finding our single rooms to be on the smaller side. I’m glad that the layout of the room has worked well for you, and that you have been able to have a good night sleep. Thank you for your kind words about our breakfast and staff, I’m glad we have yet again met your expectations and been able to give you a good stay. I do hope we yet again might have the joy of welcoming you back to Thon Hotel Opera on a future occasion.

Marius Lilleng,

Reviewed 31 October 2018 via mobile

My expectations were really high before visiting this hotel but got disappointed upon arrival. Well, partially it is due to my choice maybe - the single room as I was for a business meetings in Oslo, but still... the room was like one of the tiniest spots I’ve been in. Almost claustrophobic. The bed wasn’t comfortable, and when asked for extra pillows, I got two pillows cases left on the bed
Well, I can see that most of reviews are super positive so maybe I just got the only worst room they have in the hotel.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Marius L, Guest Relations Manager at Thon Hotel Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2018

Dear Eva B,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay with us at Thon Hotel Opera. I’m sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. All our beds were new in 2015/2016 when the hotel was refurbished, and I’m sorry that this standard has not fitted your preferences. The single rooms are 12 square meters, but we do naturally have several larger room categories available. I do hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to Thon Hotel Opera on a future occasion, and that your next visit will improve your rating of our hotel.

Reviewed 31 October 2018

Stayed at this hotel over a weekend break during late October. The hotel is right next door to Oslo Central station so the location is faultless. Its easy to get to Oslo city centre from the airport using the NSB train which is half the price of the Flygonet train. The hotel was clean and tidy. The rooms are quite compact but nothing different to a typical London hotel. There is an iron and hairdryer, basic tea/coffee facilities but no toiletries or room service. Not that this was a big issue as we were only in the hotel to sleep and spent most of the time out. The bathroom was very clean and simple. The breakfast was varied but don't expect a full English type of breakfast. There are lots of cold selections and plenty of eggs but there was only streaky bacon (always very well done) and beans. The hotel is very much geared towards couples and business travellers. Wasn't anything to really fault with it as we never actually spent that much time there. I would stay here again based on the location, level of quality and when travelling around Oslo I wasn't impressed with some of the other hotels we came across.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Prithy,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay with us at Thon Hotel Opera. I’m glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you have found our location to be convenient. I happy to read that you would consider coming back to our hotel on a future occasion, and if you are to return I do hope you will consider booking one of our upgraded rooms with more amenities and more square meter.