Hotels.com
eDreams
FindHotel
Trip.com
5,011 results
All reviews royal garden epicurean restaurant half board beautiful hotel star hotel sea view private beach kids club evening buffet pool staff welcome drink indoor pool turn down service tennis courts guest relations a la carte restaurants nothing is too much trouble
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 June 2019 via mobile

I have just returned from something like my 15th visit to this place and I have to say this time was the best ever!

I was contemplating staying at the new Amavi hotel at the harbour after having a visit there in April for a drink and I was very impressed but I have to say and no disrespect to them but it will never be the Elysium. The Elysium just has the X factor others can only dream of.

I was upgraded to a royal villa with my own pool which was utterly fantastic and has set the target for my next visit.

We had lunch one day via room service sat outside our own pool which was just amazing and one of the best meals I have ever had in perfect surroundings.

As always though and without doubt the best thing about this hotel is it’s staff who are the most professional and friendly team you will ever have the pleasure of meeting.

From the moment you are greeted at the door (special mention to Andre and Fontas) to entering the beautiful reception you will not want to go anywhere else.

The pool bar is just amazing where we were looked after by Lefteros and Demetrieus.

Special mention has to be for Nikolas who is an exceptional bar manager who never misses anything and greets you like a returning friend - which he is I am pleased to say.

Well done to all at the Elysium your hotel is just the best and I can’t wait to return.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ElysiumHotel, General Manager at Elysium Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2019

Dear trip advisor reviewer gdv72
It is clear that having chosen us for 15 stays we certainly are the perfect holiday destination for yourselves!
With friendly yet professional service, great surroundings and amazing food it’s an honour to keep impressing you!
We look forward to welcoming you for a 16th stay soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2019

High quality hotel,fine rooms, very nice and efficient staff, great food, great service, clean, prosice! Highly recommended!!!
I deffentlty recommend to have my
next vacation in this ammazing place
Kobi

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear trip advisor reviewer Kobi bendar
Thank you for highly recommending us – we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 15 June 2019 via mobile

Stayed there last week and will come back for sure!
Room are extremely clean and comfortable, and so does the whole hotel.
Food is just great, very fresh and tasty.
The hotel staff is one of the best I’ve ever experienced, they will do everything to make you satisfied 24 hours a day.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank LiorI17

Dear trip advisor reviewer Liorl17
Thank you for your kind words! I am so happy to hear that you encountered wonderful service, great food, and found our standards of cleanliness to be top!
I look forward to welcoming you again soon

Reviewed 15 June 2019

The Elysium is a proud hotel, standing out from the many square, white-washed replicas spattering Paphos’ coast thanks to its distinct architecture and well-kept grounds. It is picture-perfect in every way and cannot be faulted on appearance, which is exactly why we picked it.

We arrived a little later than planned to a very warm welcome and the promise our room would be checked and ready soon. The porters, front desk and guest relations clearly understand and expertly execute their roles as representatives and a guest's first contact with the hotel, they never failed to smile and were always ready to help. We had a well-appointed ‘partial sea view’ room on the third floor; the bed was luxuriously big, with a firm mattress and 'pillow menu' should the standard offering not prove sufficient (which they did for both of us). Bathroom was a decent size although - as some other reviewers have mentioned - the floor gets slippery after a shower and the water pressure and alternating temperature takes a little getting used to. We took advantage of the offer to purchase six large water bottles (€6) not realizing that every day, housekeeping leaves a small, free bottle on each nightstand. My calling this out is not to do with the ‘expense’ but the fact they do this regardless of how many bottles one has already accumulated. I understand the thought behind it but by the end of the stay we had quite the collection going, seeing no reason to drink the free ones as we’d paid for the others. It might be a little thing, but to me it leaves the impression they are just working on automatic which detracts from that all-important personal touch and shows a certain lack of attention to detail. As do other little inconsistencies, such as how many towels would be left or whether there was a duvet on the bed or not (ours mysteriously appeared after five or so days). I realise these are minor gripes, but if the hotel is aiming for an elite status - which we were given to understand is the case - they bear mentioning.

We took advantage of the Dine Around option, pre-paid reduced-price coupons for three meals at any time during your stay, either buffet (€33 per person, per meal) or three courses at any of the other restaurants (€49, if I remember right). We went for the evening buffets: Asia, Tex-Mex and 1001 Nights. Although certainly not lacking in choice, I feel we perhaps expected too much as some of the flavours felt a little underwhelming; you may notice an overarching theme in that each of these cuisines are noted for their use of chili and/or spices, but I fully realise these need to be adjusted to suit all palates. On the other hand, the breakfast really is as extensive and delicious as other reviewers have noted. Fantastic selection of charcuterie, cheese, bread, hot and cold options, as well as two egg stations - it was a definite highlight. Worth mentioning for those who suffer from allergies: there are a few cats and the local population of birds which gather outside during breakfast and dinner; we quite enjoyed it but know there will be some who are less keen.

Overall, the first two days of our stay were idyllic, we had all the peace and quiet we wanted and looked forward to some real rest and recuperation. And then the coaches arrived. Suddenly, the poolside was awash with a tour group, most of whom preferred their own music to that provided by the pool bar’s speakers, turning up mobile phones to play their favourites, smoking around and even in the water. Loud and irreverent, they transformed the hotel we’d believed so different into the dreaded all-inclusive. And they kept coming, with a new group every three days. I can completely understand the financial reasoning behind this but am also greatly disappointed by it; our paradise was - for the most part - lost. Granted, there was still some tranquillity to be had in the early afternoon, but after three o’clock or so - when their day’s outing ended - the group would return and with them that all-inclusive holiday package feeling.

The second reason for my low rating is the service. I do not mean the staff as individuals; all our interactions were pleasant and - at the very least - professional. Particularly worth mentioning is Kyriaki at Café Occidental, who made a point of searching us out every evening and with whom we shared a great many laughs; that said, she also clearly knows her business as hostess and kept a watchful eye on what was going on at all times - it’s always a pleasure to meet others for whom hospitality is not just a job, but a way of being. Connor and Tate at Café Occidental and Mare Nostrum also deserve special mention, helping to alleviate the irritation of too noisy surrounds (see aforementioned group) with amusing anecdotes and fresh recommendations. However, as kind and personable as everyone was, one can’t escape the fact that service at The Elysium is unforgivably slow. This is especially noticeable at Café Occidental where the average wait for even two gin & tonics (our standard nearly every night) was 15 minutes from the time we ordered; it should be less than half that if you go by prescribed standards for a 5* hotel. Admittedly, on one occasion when our drinks were delayed 45 minutes, we received an apologetic box of chocolates which was very considerate - especially as we’d not said anything - but something really needs to be done to address this issue. Similarly, though nice people (one can clearly see a personality-based hiring model at work here) there is a sense not everyone is aware of the fact that service is an art which extends far beyond simply placing what a guest requests in front of them, not to mention acknowledging a certain level of teamwork required to accomplish this. Overall, it seemed less of an issue at the Epicurean/Lemonia Piazza, begging the question whether different management approaches are employed up- and downstairs and if these could be balanced to ensure greater consistency and higher quality service across The Elysium.

For fear of risking Mr. Papamiltiadous’ ire at my presumptuous tone and comments, let me explain that I come from a service background: I am qualified in hotel and hospitality management and have trained and worked at numerous 4* and 5* hotels in Switzerland. I just want to offer an honest, holistic opinion of what someone from the industry can see when staying at your hotel as I feel it may help with that elite rating. I’m sorry to say we would not return nor recommend The Elysium, but I can see from other reviews there are plenty who would; I only hope you take this as a sign to continue your efforts in achieving a higher status and do not give-in to the temptation of the all-inclusive model, as - even from our perspective - this would be a great pity.

Room tip: If possible, go for the full sea view, the partial really is just that
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jaleesa E

Dear trip advisor reviewer Jaleesa E
Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive and detailed review of your recent stay, where your admiration of our hotel, rooms, front office service both on arrival ( first impressions really do count) and throughout your stay, plus the attention given by several staff members throughout the hotel during your entire stay have all been noted.
As someone who has experience within the hotel industry your constructive comments are certainly welcome, and will all be carefully considered. Following some of these I would like to note as follows; complimentary water is offered nightly at turning down service, as a replacement to the ubiquitous chocolate offered previously. I appreciate you may have felt that we should have perhaps noticed you were not utilising these and refrained from leaving more, but as I am sure you appreciate, some guests may be unhappy not to have these items left whether they wish to use them or not.
Due to high temperatures, we are no longer providing duvets in the rooms, although can of course offer them should guests require them, and towels are replaced once used – the towel card in each room noting that for environmental reasons should you wish to have your towels replaced you should leave them on the floor, those towels hung up left for a second use.
As you kindly mention our renowned breakfast buffet is both of high quality and vast selection. I’m sorry you were less impressed with the themed buffet evenings, but as you note, we are attempting to appeal to all palates.
Your comments regarding the group staying with us during your stay are of course your own personal opinion and are respected as such. As you correctly mention they were out of the hotel for the majority of the day, and indeed had a separate dining area. That said the grounds of Elysium are vast, with many secluded and tranquil areas those wishing for a more peaceful experience can use. It should be mentioned that we did not have an all-inclusive package for these guests, and they were using our bars as all other guests, paying on consumption at the usual hotel rate.
I can assure you that an all-inclusive option is not something we are considering to implement at Elysium.
Finally, I must apologise that you felt the service at Café Occidental was not in line with that received in other departments, and this will be looked into with the relevant department. I am somewhat surprised that as a fellow industry professional you opted not to seek me out to comment during your stay in order for us to make any adjustments necessary, but instead chose to let us know of your disappointments here on trip advisor instead.
I am at your disposal should you wish to discuss any issues further- the satisfaction of our guests is paramount and should you opt to return, please contact me directly.

Reviewed 15 June 2019

Having travelled to many destinations around the world in recent years this was our first holiday in Europe for many years . We were attending our sons wedding in paphos , hence the return to Europe.
As we drew up to the hotel we were impressed . The porter ran to open the taxi door, he greeted us like old friends , the lovely hospitality carried on as we checked in. Two refreshing drinks were waiting for us . Check in was quick and efficient the receptionist both helpful and informative.
Our sea view room had great views . The room was well equipped , well maintained and nicely presented.

I do not understand the criticism by some reviewers of the breakfast. We found it plentiful, something for everyone , I’m vegetarian and had loads of choice .

We used the gym which although on the small side was well equipped.

Although we had half board we dined both in and out of the hotel . The local tavernas are inexpensive and good .the hotel themed buffets good too . We also dined at bacco the hotels italian restaurant, the food was excellent and the settling beautiful.

The bars and night time music are good adding to a relaxing sophisticated atmosphere.

The sun loungers are well spaced out both around the pool and in the garden .

The staff in every area of the hotel are friendly and very attentive nothing is too much trouble .

They made the night before our sons wedding very special seating 16 family members together .

The walk to the old town is about 20-25 minutes , the walk along the pretty coastal pathway to the harbour is around 30-40 minutes .

Finally we enjoyed our stay so much we have just booked to return in 6 weeks , we are staying in the royal garden villas which each have their own pool , we saw these on our visit and are expecting them to be great .

We would highly recommend this hotel , great setting, grounds very spacious, not at all cluttered like some of the other hotels and some of the best staff we’ve ever encountered.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotteofcheshire
Christos Papamiltiadous, Owner at Elysium Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2020

Dear trip advisor reviewer Charlotteofcheshire

Many thanks for taking the time to detail all the things that impressed you on your recent stay here at Elysium.

We do take pride in the excellence of service and also in providing a good quality product. A testament to this is the many reviewers, like yourselves whose expectations we have exceeded.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much you have chosen to return so soon, and we all look forward to welcoming you then.